Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 96 of 146 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast
    Hi thank you for offering to guide my attempt. My Dockstar and FreeAgent Go USB harddisk have now arrived.

I see that you prefer to install it on a USB-stick, so that the hard-disk can spin-down, that seems logical. So I will probably do that as well. I just need to ask if the USB-stick can manage the constant read/writing?

I will start to do some reading and within a day or so I will start.

I think of the hard drive in the dockstar the same as I do in my PC. I don't boot to usb stick on my PC, so I can save my hard drive from spinning down.

I heard it's not so good to have usb stick reading/writing so much. Mostly they were made to store files on them and transfer stuff.

I personally, don't want to have BOTH usb stick and hard drive in my dockstar when I can put everything on hard drive. But that's just me.

SqueezeSlave Running?

Hi folks,
    eod says that he has SqueezeSlave on Dockstar (it should run also on Sheeva) up an running. Right now I'm not able to test this, because I'm on business travel. Maybe some of you like to test it. It seems to be very easy with the new SqueezeSlave binaries for marvel. So I post his message here:

This is the path I took in getting squeezeslave to run on my hacked Dockstar. Squeezeslave is a software implementation of a squeezebox. It is command line driven and so far fits great on my little marvel devices. I now have one in my daughters room for streaming her childrenĺs audiobooks from our squeezecenter (which is running on another Dockstar).

First thing I did was grab the tarball:

#wget http://squeezeslave.googlecode.com/f...1-lnx26.tar.gz

Unpack it

#tar xzfv squeezeslave-marvell6281-lnx26.tar.gz

Which will give you the license file and a executable named squeezeslave. At this point if I attempt to run squeezeslave I get the following.

# ./squeezeslave
    PortAudio error4: Host error. Could not open any audio devices.

From my brief understanding (and I mean brief) and light research we need the AOSS wrapper files in order to play with my USB sound device. I grab the following packages:

# apt-get install alsa-oss

Next go into the directory you unpacked squeezeslave in. You should now be able to execute with the following.

#aoss ./squeezeslave -L
    Output devices:
    * 0: /dev/dsp
    #aoss ./squeezeslave IP_of_squeezeboxserver

And that is it. Just run it and point it to the squeezeboxserver.
    SBS 7.7.x on SqueezePlug,
    2 x Squeezebox Duet,
    1 x Squeezebox Touch,
    1 x Onkyo TX-8050 DLNA ready receiver
    iPeng,
    SqueezeSlave

My SqueezePlug Wiki: Wiki
    My Blog: Blog
    My Forum: Forum
    My Downloads: Downloads
    My Videos: YouTube

Feel free to donate my SqueezePlug project: Donate, thanks a lot!

Perfect timing, my audio plug should be here in less than 2 hours.

Thomas
    I'm also exploring ext4 instead of ext2 for boot partition, I'll let you know if it works.

I'm thinking if we just installed on our other dockstars/squeezeplug devices stuff for just squeezeslave, it could fit it on internal Nand, dockstar has 256 Nand and sheevaplug 516 Nand, and use usb slot for audio tongle with speakers.
    I'm gonna make 2 dockstar squeezeslaves today and see how it goes.
    It would be cool if it works.
    Last edited by richman; 2010-11-04 at 10:10.

That is my write up, so feel free to let me know if you have any information to add.

http://e0d.com/blog/squeezeslave-running-on-dockstar

Thomas
    Remember those extra files and commands you added to squeezebox server that you removed.
    I do need them.
    After trying to squeezeslave on another dockstar, the main dockstar, lost all the stuff under internet radio and all my apps.
    I'm running 7.5.1 , so those files are needed after all.
    My audio plugs came in and I'm testing it.

My squeezeserver sees the squeezeslave, but I can't get any sound out of it yet. And it hangs in putty.

for this line :
    aoss ./squeezeslave IP_of_squeezeboxserver

I put in:

aoss ./squeezeslave 192.168.1.107

(the ip of the server on my other dockstar that has squeezeserver on it. It locks on putty, but I see it on squeezebox server as squeezeslave.

I'll continue working on it.
    I'll look at Jeff's to see if there are audio packages to get too.
    I'll check out ehode's stuff, (hi ehode, glad you are helping us out on this, I get green light on usb audio plug, so I figure dockstar see's it. I'll check your link now.

Do I need to install any other packages, I don't have squeezeserver stuff loaded on the slave.
    Last edited by richman; 2010-11-04 at 11:14.

Quote Originally Posted by richman View Post
    Thomas
    Remember those extra files and commands you added to squeezebox server that you removed.
    I do need them.
    After trying to squeezeslave on another dockstar, the main dockstar, lost all the stuff under internet radio and all my apps.
    I'm running 7.5.1 , so those files are needed after all.
    My audio plugs came in and I'm testing it.

My squeezeserver sees the squeezeslave, but I can't get any sound out of it yet. And it hangs in putty.

for this line :
    aoss ./squeezeslave IP_of_squeezeboxserver

I put in:

aoss ./squeezeslave 192.168.1.107

(the ip of the server on my other dockstar that has squeezeserver on it. It locks on putty, but I see it on squeezebox server as squeezeslave.

I'll continue working on it.
    I'll look at Jeff's to see if there are audio packages to get too.
    I'll check out ehode's stuff, (hi ehode, glad you are helping us out on this, I get green light on usb audio plug, so I figure dockstar see's it. I'll check your link now.

Do I need to install any other packages, I don't have squeezeserver stuff loaded on the slave.
    only ver short answer: Please have a look at my wiki in the section of squeezeplug_vm there is somthing about alsamixer. Maybe that the problem.

Greetings,
    Thomas
    SBS 7.7.x on SqueezePlug,
    2 x Squeezebox Duet,
    1 x Squeezebox Touch,
    1 x Onkyo TX-8050 DLNA ready receiver
    iPeng,
    SqueezeSlave

My SqueezePlug Wiki: Wiki
    My Blog: Blog
    My Forum: Forum
    My Downloads: Downloads
    My Videos: YouTube

Feel free to donate my SqueezePlug project: Donate, thanks a lot!

Thomas
    I did look and applied these packages that were there, but still no success.
    Program works for 10 seconds then shutsdown.

squeezeplug:~# apt-get install alsa
    squeezeplug:~# apt-get install subversion
    squeezeplug:~# apt-get install libasound2-dev
    squeezeplug:~# apt-get install libncurses5-dev
    squeezeplug:~# apt-get install liblircclient-dev

my usb audio plug is :
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
    I was told that C-Media Chipset works , and I am getting green light on device.

Hopefully Thomas you will be home soon, to check it out yourself.

In meantime I'll look into MPD and client and see what I can learn.

ehode
    What usb audio plug are you using?

A question, I didn't see a place to sign in on squeezeslave, usually it needs a logictec name and password if I install on PC, that could be the reason I lost all my apps and internet radio stuff in squeezebox server after I launched squeezeslave. I can't get those apps and icons back.
    Last edited by richman; 2010-11-04 at 12:48.

Funny I actually ordered the usb sound device you linked but they sent me a different one (http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Extern.../ref=pd_cp_e_3) which from what I understand is the same basic unit.

I noticed Squeezeslave working then quitting out, I added a -R (I think I'm not at home right now to check) which has it retry. It works for me though, I can see the squeezeslave and I tested by playing songs on it.

Yes!
    That works

Just load the stuff Ehode recommended and not the other packages I wrote about above.

The -R command worked.

aoss ./squeezeslave 192.168.1.107 -R

The IP address is where my server is located.

Hurry! It's GREAT!

I don't know why I lost all the internet radio and apps from server, and hopefully Thomas will repost those extra commands to get that stuff back.

Ehode, did you just listen to files on your server , were you able to see apps and internet radio on the slave?

When I look in squeezeserver under settings for squeezeslave it shows IP address but not player MAC address. And nothing shows up on logictech site if I switch to that mode (no player).
    So at least we have a way to listen to music on our server on these dockstars, I'm gonna open another of my dockstars and put it in other room.

Is there a way to automate the process, so when dockstar gets plugged in , it automatically starts the slave and ties into server?
    Last edited by richman; 2010-11-04 at 14:21.