Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Been having fun, have we?

Some people like to turn off radio transmitters they don't need. We don't know yet how well our specimen react to them just yet, so why not provide us waaaay too careful family men with an Off switch?

Wink

The proverbial 'Off Switch' ... the wives of us family men are hoping for one too!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSwenson View Post
    The Touch DOES do a form of shutting down the wifi radio if that connection is not being used, but that does not necessarily completely disable the radio. If you have a USB or SD card plugged in they are being shared via samba and that might still be accessed via wifi from another device even if the touch's player is currently being fed from a wire. So the wifi is still there but not doing much. Every so often it keeps track of whats out there and if any body wants to connect.
    I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. The radio may still be on (I have no way to tell), but it's certainly not connected to the network. If you were to set up a Touch from scratch with a wired connection then it wouldn't even have credentials to connect wirelessly. Plus, the wireless and wired interfacs use the same MAC address, so I don't know how it would work in any case.

I just ran a little test, changing from a wireless to a wired connection (so the wireless credentials may still be stored somewhere). As soon as the Touch connected to the wired network it was immediately dropped from the list of connected clients shown on my wireless access point.

"BUT the waves accumulate like x-rays in your body."

Well, alrighty then!

Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    "BUT the waves accumulate like x-rays in your body."

Well, alrighty then!
    yeah - I missed that bit... so waves accumulate do they... funny that, I thought they just passed through, like a... like a ... WAVE!

X-rays do NOT "accumulate" - unlike mercury in the blood stream!. This is total BS. What actually happens is that the chance of spontaneous cell mutation increases with increased exposure. It's a probability thing.
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Leigh View Post
    yeah - I missed that bit... so waves accumulate do they... funny that, I thought they just passed through, like a... like a ... WAVE!

X-rays do NOT "accumulate" - unlike mercury in the blood stream!.
    But...music waves accumulate in my head and I consider my head to be a part of my body. At least I can often remember them later if they have passed through my head at least once.
    :-)

However, I can't say I've so far remembered any WiFi waves...
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    (Developer of many plugins/applets (both free and commercial).
    If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third party plugin/applet development, consider purchasing some plugins)

Interested in the future of music streaming ? ickStream - A world of music at your fingertips.

Now I wonder what prolonged exposure to Wagner will do to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Leigh View Post

X-rays do NOT "accumulate" - unlike mercury in the blood stream!. This is total BS. What actually happens is that the chance of spontaneous cell mutation increases with increased exposure. It's a probability thing.
    "...and I (as a physisist)..."

I should have included that too, for added humor.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    ...However, I can't say I've so far remembered any WiFi waves...
    That's because they killed those particular brain cells along the way. You shouldn't worry about it though, since you will of course forget all about this by tomorrow...
    Last edited by NewBuyer; 2010-03-24 at 20:17.

You will have an irresistible urge to parade down the Champs Elysee in a swaggering manner

Quote Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
    Now I wonder what prolonged exposure to Wagner will do to me.
    Linn Products Akurate DS/1
    Bonnec Audiosysteme Timpano Preamplifier
    Linn Products Akurate C4200 Dynamik
    Totem Acoustics Forest Signature (Biwired/Amped)
    SqueezeBox Radio's Original Black and a fancy RED one too :)
    Duet Controller
    Synology NAS DS 112+
    BubbleDS on Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Linn LP12/Cirkus/Ekos2/Dynavector XX2 MK2/Linn Linto/Linn Lingo1/ Totem Forest Signatures