Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brian Ritchie
    • Nov 2005

Why go to 7.4.2 from 7.4.1?

I don't have a Radio, and as far as I can see, it seems that there's nothing else new in 7.4.2. So, apart from getting rid of the irritating "new version" popup (even more frequent than the Windows updates popup), is there any reason why I should consider upgrading?

For example, have there been any sync-related bugfixes or improvements? Sync works for me most of the time, but sometimes fails completely for no apparent reason.

-- Brian
  • Michael-D
    • Jan 2009

No idea what it does differently, but the pop ups iritated me enough to install it. I went to install it and can't unless I un-install 7.4.1. I have not had to un-install previous versions, so why now?

Comment

• tcutting
      • May 2008

7.4.2 is not much different than 7.4.1, except it included several bug-fixes which were implemented over the several months since 7.4.1 was released. Most of the bug fixes were Radio related (alarm reliability, battery charging issues), but overall it's a minor change from 7.4.1 so there's not much risk to "break" something.

Comment

• toby10
        • Jul 2007

SBS > Settings > Advanced > Software Updates > *don't check for updates*

Comment

• Michael-D
          • Jan 2009

Is there any way to install it as an update verses the whole un-install / install option? I'd rather not have to re-enter all my passwords and go through the configuration again.

Comment

• andynormancx
            • May 2008

It isn't normal for it to insist that you uninstall it first, that all sounds a bit odd. What is the exact message it displays ?

Comment

• Michael-D
              • Jan 2009

“Another version of Sqeezebox is already installed. Plus uninstall before updating.”

Comment

• toby10
                • Jul 2007

You should be able to just update it. If on Windows just right click the little SBS icon, third down is "install update".
                If you said what OS you were using I didn't see it.

I'm on XP and I have *always* experienced a complete computer crash (not just software, the entire computer) when using the SC/SBS "update".
                Five different computers, going back three years, all have had complete crashes when attempting this update, each and every time.
                But as I never see anyone complaining about this I presume it's my settings on my five XP boxes causing this.

But, I just uninstall then install the latest version. During uninstall it should ask you if you want to delete your Preferences and Favorites.
                Just say NO and you should not have to do any setup on the new SBS version.
                At least I never do.

Comment

• Michael-D
                  • Jan 2009

I'm using windows home server. SB is installed on my HP media server.

I'll try as you suggest.

Comment

• Michael Herger
                    Babelfish's Best Boy
                    • Apr 2005

> “Another version of Sqeezebox is already installed. Plus uninstall
                    > before updating.”

Is this the exact message you're getting?!? I've never seen this.

--

Michael
                    Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
                    (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• Michael Herger
                      Babelfish's Best Boy
                      • Apr 2005

> I'm using windows home server. SB is installed on my HP media server.

Ok, on WHS you need to uninstall first. But the settings will remain, don't worry. Just uninstall, restart WHS console, install latest. It's a limitation of the WHS installer that you can't install an update with a different filename.

--

Michael
                      Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"

Comment

• Aslak3
                        • Aug 2009

Would just like to add that SBS 7.4.1 to .2 on debian lenny, using apt-get, upgraded flawlessly. Didn't have to rescan and my plugins were all kept intact. Super job.

Lawrence
                        (SB Classic, SB Boom, SB Radio, Pi Core Player)

Comment

• Michael-D
                          • Jan 2009

Oh typo.... "...please uninstall...."

Comment

• Brian Ritchie
                            • Nov 2005

Thanks for the responses... on the one hand, it's reassuring to hear that (at least some!) plugins survive the upgrade; on the other, it doesn't sound like there's much to gain. Then again, I've been pondering having a good spring clean (emptying the cache) and maybe I might as well upgrade while I'm at it...

-- Brian

Comment

• Michael Herger
                              Babelfish's Best Boy
                              • Apr 2005

> Oh typo.... "...please uninstall...."

Hehe... what a difference :-). Should have imagined myself...

--

Michael
                              Michael

Comment

Working...