Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

$25 off VortexBox Appliance

I would like to thank everybody in the SqueezeBox community for there help with VortexBox 1.1 and the new VortexBox player.

We are having a $25 off sale for Valentine's Day. You can use this code to save $25 off anything in the Small Green Computer store including the Micro Appliance.

This code is good from now until Valentines Day.

VDAY

http://shop.smallgreencomputer.com/
    rip, tag, get cover art… All you do is insert the CD!
    http://vortexbox.org

agillis
    Lead Developer VortexBox

Just rename it Vortexbox Day. You know you want to.

Quick question if you don't mind. Ignore if you do and I'll stop being lazy some day and try out the software myself. Does VB use whatever goes into the ARTISTSORT tag for the artist directory name into which it saves the files? I ask because this is approximately what I do manually, so that when browsing the music folder directly (BMF, ls, Windows Explorer, etc.) the artists are in the right order (e.g. Tom Waits goes in "W", not "T"). I would need VB to do this in order to be able to switch to using it.

VortexBox stores the music under albums not artists.

agillis
    Lead Developer VortexBox

So in my root music directory it would just look like this, with all albums mixed together?

Code:
    And All That Could Have Been (Disc 1)
    And All That Could Have Been (Disc 2)
    Closing Time
    Deep Cuts
    Nevermind
    Presence
    Real Gone
    Ten
    Trading Snakeoil For Wolftickets
    Yes
    That seems odd. That root directory would be huge and it would be impossible to browse. What would one do with album name collisions (e.g. Closer for both Nine Inch Nails and Joy Division)? Maybe VB isn't for me... In my current scheme, the above would look like this, adding in the two instances of Closer, which are unrepresentable otherwise:

Code:
    Joy Division
     +- Closer
    Jules, Gary
     +- Trading Snakeoil For Wolftickets
    Knife, The
     +- Deep Cuts
    Morphine
     +- Yes
    Nine Inch Nails
     +- And All That Could Have Been (Disc 1)
     +- And All That Could Have Been (Disc 2)
     +- Closer
    Nirvana
     +- Nevermind
    Pearl Jam
     +- Ten
    Waits, Tom
     +- Closing Time
     +- Real Gone
     +- Presence
    Last edited by eq72521; 2010-02-10 at 12:34. Reason: formatting

The directory structure is "Artist - Album" like this.

Billy_Joel_-_52nd_Street

I have over 1000 albums and find it much easier to have them all at the root level. Plus I don't really go into the directory tree much since SBS has them all organized for me. But you can arrange them any way you want after they are ripped.

agillis
    Lead Developer VortexBox

Quote Originally Posted by agillis View Post
    The directory structure is "Artist - Album" like this.

Billy_Joel_-_52nd_Street

I have over 1000 albums and find it much easier to have them all at the root level. Plus I don't really go into the directory tree much since SBS has them all organized for me. But you can arrange them any way you want after they are ripped.
    Sure, it makes little difference to Squeezebox Server, but who in their right mind wants to deal with a folder with (potentially) thousands of subfolders in it?

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    Sure, it makes little difference to Squeezebox Server, but who in their right mind wants to deal with a folder with (potentially) thousands of subfolders in it?
    It's easy to change the VortexBox default and have CDs ripped to a directory structure where albums are placed in separate artist directories:

artist1
    --- album1
    --- album2
    artist2
    --- album1
    --- album2

This is what I do on my VortexBox Appliance.
    Last edited by Ron Olsen; 2010-02-10 at 19:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Olsen View Post
    It's easy to change the VortexBox default and have CDs ripped to a directory structure where albums are placed in separate artist directories:

artist1
    --- album1
    --- album2
    artist2
    --- album1
    --- album2

This is what I do on my VortexBox Appliance.
    That's about perfect. Back to my original question (I really didn't mean to hijack this thread, but I guess we're past that), is it possible to use for the "artist1", "artist2", etc. what would go in the ARTISTSORT tag? This would make the artists actually sort properly when directly browsing the music directory. If you can't do this, then the directory ends up looking like iTunes got a hold of it, which is just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by eq72521 View Post
    That's about perfect. Back to my original question (I really didn't mean to hijack this thread, but I guess we're past that), is it possible to use for the "artist1", "artist2", etc. what would go in the ARTISTSORT tag? This would make the artists actually sort properly when directly browsing the music directory. If you can't do this, then the directory ends up looking like iTunes got a hold of it, which is just wrong.
    I have never even heard of the ARTISTSORT tag. So VortexBox doesn't create it. How do you decide what goes in the ARTISTSORT tag?

agillis
    Lead Developer VortexBox

Quote Originally Posted by eq72521 View Post
    The ripping/encoding/tagging program used by VortexBox is ripit. You can find more information at http://www.suwald.com/ripit/news.php

By default, ripit uses the ARTIST and ALBUM tags that are returned by FreeDB or MusicBrainz (the two online CDDB databases it checks) to create the directories where the encoded music files are placed. (You can also use YEAR, GENRE, first letter of ARTIST, etc. to define your directory template). ripit does not provide an option for the user to specify ARTISTSORT and use it to define the directory template. So the answer to your question is "NO".
    Last edited by Ron Olsen; 2010-02-10 at 22:11.