Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Replaygain and high-res audio?

Anyone aware of any initiatives to implement replaygain for higher resolution audio - I've got a few 24/96 albums in my collection and replaygain isn't supported. Seeing as things will increasingly move in the direction of higher resolution, wouldn't it be appropriate for RG to support same?
    Last edited by audiomuze; 2010-02-06 at 22:35.
    SqueezeWand | Vivere DAC MKI | ATC SCA2 | ATC SCM100ASLT

Linux finally gets a great audio tagger: puddletag - now packaged in most Linux distributions.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by audiomuze View Post
    Anyone aware of any initiatives to implement replaygain for higher resolution audio - I've got a few 24/96 albums in my collection and replaygain isn't supported. Seeing as things will increasingly move in the direction of higher resolution, wouldn't it be appropriate for RG to support same?
    I have many 24/96 files with RG tags (FLAC) and they work fine... why do you think it doesn't work?
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Leigh View Post
    I have many 24/96 files with RG tags (FLAC) and they work fine... why do you think it doesn't work?
    Using Robin's script I get
    Code:
    ERROR: sample rate of 96000 Hz is not supported
    Looking at metaflac's arguments:
    Code:
    --add-replay-gain     Calculates the title and album gains/peaks of the given
                          FLAC files as if all the files were part of one album,
                          then stores them in the VORBIS_COMMENT block.  The tags
                          are the same as those used by vorbisgain.  Existing
                          ReplayGain tags will be replaced.  If only one FLAC file
                          is given, the album and title gains will be the same.
                          Since this operation requires two passes, it is always
                          executed last, after all other operations have been
                          completed and written to disk.  All FLAC files specified
                          must have the same resolution, sample rate, and number
                          of channels.  The sample rate must be one of 8, 11.025,
                          12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, or 48 kHz.
    Last edited by audiomuze; 2010-02-07 at 00:49.

Linux finally gets a great audio tagger: puddletag - now packaged in most Linux distributions.

Using Robin's script I get
    Code:
    ERROR: sample rate of 96000 Hz is not supported
    Ah - use Foobar2000...
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Leigh View Post
    Ah - use Foobar2000...
    So I'm guessing this is out of the replaygain spec or is this one of the few tweaks that Josh may need to make to METAFLAC?

So I'm guessing this is out of the replaygain spec or is this one of the few tweaks that Josh may need to make to METAFLAC?
    metaflac needs a tweak...
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones