Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast

Thread: 24/192

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Olsen View Post
    I think using MPD as the server for VortexBox Player gives gapless playback of all FLAC files, regardless of resolution, but I can't verify this as I have no hi-res gapless FLAC albums with which to test.

Andrew wrote this wiki page: http://info.vortexbox.org/tiki-index.php?page=MPoD about using MPoD and MPaD which says they provide gapless FLAC playback through VortexBox Player, but he mentions nothing about hi-res here. Since hi-res playback is an intrinsic feature of VortexBox Player, I would assume that gapless playback of hi-res FLAC is supported in this context.

If you have a hi-res gapless FLAC album, try it yourself and see if it works.
    I tried running VortexBox player from my SBT (VBP as chosen player from the Touch interface) - it did not run hi-res gapless. Every time it got to a gap it stopped playing. SBS itself does play them gapless.
    GIK Acoustics Room Treatments. Tranquil PC fanless server running Windows 7 via FW> Mytek 192 DSD DAC;Odyssey Kismet (Khartago case) Stereo Amp; Devore Gibbon 9 Speakers; Dual 506 + Ortofon M20 (occasional use); SB Touch slaved to Empirical Audio Pace Car;SB Boom and SB Touch in additional rooms. Arcam CD82 which I don't use anymore, even though it's a very good player.

Quote Originally Posted by firedog View Post
    I tried running VortexBox player from my SBT (VBP as chosen player from the Touch interface) - it did not run hi-res gapless. Every time it got to a gap it stopped playing. SBS itself does play them gapless.
    Your experiment used SBS as the server for VortexBox Player, and gapless FLAC playback does not work, as expected.

The experiment you have to try is to use an MPD client to control playback of VortexBox Player, not SBS. If you have an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch, use MPaD or MPoD. If you have an Android device, use MPDroid. See http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Clients for a list of MPD clients you can use to carry out this experiment.

MPD Client > MPD > VortexBox Player: Gapless FLAC playback

SBS > VortexBox Player: No gapless FLAC playback.

SBS > SB Touch: Gapless FLAC playback.

I tried running VortexBox player from my SBT
    So you ran the player as a server and the server as a player? Got it.

:-) :-) Just kidding. Interesting experiment.

If you want both gapless and hirez playback support why don't you use Squeezeplay. I'm running it on my headless (Xvnc server) client Linux PC which is connected to USB DAC.

Cause he wants 192 which sp doesn't do.
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: several Touch, Radio, SB3
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Cause he wants 192 which sp doesn't do.
    If squeezeplay can do 96, then its just adding an extra number in a few places in the code and adding 192 to the alowed sample rates for squeezeplay in the server. It should not be difficult.

Adding 192 to the Touch drivers is much harder because you have to change values in a whole bunch of registers in both the processor and the DAC chip. I did a quick look at it once and it was not obvious what values needed to be put in those registers.

John S.

Some similar discussion at computeraudiophile.com

there the situation with vortexbox is summed up as follows by one user (not fully tested by me, not my opinion, so don't flame me please):

(1) Using Vortexbox, the Vortexbox player cannot play files without gapping.

(2) Using Squeezeslave, you can play gapless files just fine, but not any hi-res files.

(3) Using MPD, you can play gapless and high res file, but you have to suffer a poorly designed and cranky remote control interface.
    GIK Acoustics Room Treatments. Tranquil PC fanless server running Windows 7 via FW> Mytek 192 DSD DAC;Odyssey Kismet (Khartago case) Stereo Amp; Devore Gibbon 9 Speakers; Dual 506 + Ortofon M20 (occasional use); SB Touch slaved to Empirical Audio Pace Car;SB Boom and SB Touch in additional rooms. Arcam CD82 which I don't use anymore, even though it's a very good player.

there the situation with vortexbox is summed up as follows by one user (not fully tested by me, not my opinion, so don't flame me please):

(1) Using Vortexbox, the Vortexbox player cannot play files without gapping.

(2) Using Squeezeslave, you can play gapless files just fine, but not any hi-res files.

(3) Using MPD, you can play gapless and high res file, but you have to suffer a poorly designed and cranky remote control interface.
    Could you provide a link to this post? I couldn't find it in my searches on the computeraudiophile.com forum. I'm curious to see when it was written, and what remote-control interface the author was complaining about. The latest version of MPaD has a nice user interface: http://www.katoemba.net/makesnosenseatall/mpad/

In any case, (3) validates

MPD Client > MPD > VortexBox Player: gapless playback of hi-res FLAC.

If anybody is willing to install the pyaudio module (when running
    debian/ubuntu it is a matter of installing python-pyaudio), you can try out
    my rewrite of squeezeslave in python. It probably does not function very well
    on all systems at this point, because I only started writing it yesterday,
    but it works right here. Also, if there are any python programmers here,
    please take a look and provide comments, suggestions, or patches please.

You can find the code right here: http://github.com/terual/slimpy
    Please read the README, because you probably have to add a rule to
    convert.conf and to be able to stream 192kHz, you have to patch the server
    with the provided patch.

Quote Originally Posted by lauret View Post
    If anybody is willing to install the pyaudio module (when running
    debian/ubuntu it is a matter of installing python-pyaudio), you can try out
    my rewrite of squeezeslave in python. It probably does not function very well
    on all systems at this point, because I only started writing it yesterday,
    but it works right here. Also, if there are any python programmers here,
    please take a look and provide comments, suggestions, or patches please.

You can find the code right here: http://github.com/terual/slimpy
    Please read the README, because you probably have to add a rule to
    convert.conf and to be able to stream 192kHz, you have to patch the server
    with the provided patch.
    WOW, AWESOME!!

So I looked at the code and can't figure out how it starts. All I see are the definitions of three classes, but no instantiation of any of them, no call to a function or any such thing. How does it get started? What am I missing?

It looks like the startup stuff should be in __INIT__.py but that is just comments about the program, it doesn't actually DO anything.

Thanks so much for doing this. I love python (I can't stand perl), so actually being able to do something in python with regards to squeezebox is great.

Thanks again,

John S.