Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 24/192

24/192

Why the Touch is not 24/192 capable?

Quote Originally Posted by temerini View Post
    Cost ?
    Chris :)

They still have Transporters in stock?

Quote Originally Posted by temerini View Post
    because there is no point...
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Why ? the server can transcode to 24/96 with SOX there is so little source material in that format, so it's a very marginal customer base, sure it can be developed who will pay whats the cost ?
    If the hardware was developed for this, the cost will be shared by all buyers and 99.999873% off them wont need that feature.

For listening purposes 24/96 is as good as it needs to be, imho.
    I also like hirez files and DVD-A but i think I only managed to accumulate 1 or 2 Albums in 24/192 to go with my other 1780 Albums, but I want hirez and tries to get them where i can, how likely is such a file to turn up if you choose your albums and tracks solely according to what music you wanted ? (like normal people do )

For the SPDIF output I have no idea if it's limited by hardware or software ?

I don't now if the nic and cpu are speedy enough to cope with the bitrate ?
    Or the flac decoder will the cpu whimper and die ?

Edit: try to distinguish between recording and playback, it's not the same I'm all for recording the original multitrack with 24/192 to avoid brickwall filters and AD anomalies.
    And mix the thing in as hi rez as possible 64bit floating point I assume modern software use .But for playback purposes 24/96 seems optimal.
    Last edited by Mnyb; 2010-01-31 at 06:24.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Bandwidth, Cost, Sense?

[QUOTE=Mnyb;512161]Why ? the server can transcode to 24/96 with SOX there is so little source material in that format, so it's a very marginal customer base, sure it can be developed who will pay whats the cost ?
    If the hardware was developed for this, the cost will be shared by all buyers and 99.999873% off them wont need that feature.

John Swenson wrote that the hardware is capable of 24/192.

[QUOTE=temerini;512307]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Why ? the server can transcode to 24/96 with SOX there is so little source material in that format, so it's a very marginal customer base, sure it can be developed who will pay whats the cost ?

John Swenson wrote that the hardware is capable of 24/192.
    Ok he should know he has bisected it thoroughly , the whole machine or only some parts ?

from Ethernet port to output ? I think wifi is out in this case.

If so then raise an enhancement request for it, if it is "only" a software limit
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Yes, the hardware can support 24/192. The DAC can do it and the oscillators are of sufficient frequency to support it from the processor. The one issue is optical out. The TOSLINK modules being sold today do not have a high enough bandwidth to reliably handle 192. (Toshiba used to make a high speed one, but they don't make it any more). The Coax S/PDIF out should have no problem with 192.

There are several "levels" of software support that have to exist in order to do it.

First is the ALSA driver. I don't know if that supports 192. I've used it at 96 but I haven't tried it at 192. It should be easy to try. Just try and play a 24/192 wave file using aplay and the HW interface. If the driver supports 192 it will play, otherwise it won't.

If it does not support 192 then the driver will have to be modified. Given they have a working driver for 96 adding 176 and 192 should not be too difficult.

Then there is the audio code inside squeezeplay. It has to know that 192 exists and can be sent to the ALSA driver. I haven't checked the code for that.

Then there is slimproto or whatever they are calling it now. The actual streaming protocol has to know about 192, and sqeezeplay has to recognize that and do the right thing with it.

Last is SBS. It has to know about 192 and know that something is 192 and what to do with it. Since it is currently being downsampled it seems like SBS knows about it. So it most likely needs to be updated so it knows the Touch could play 192 so it won't resample.

So the two biggies seem to be: does slimproto handle 192, and does the Touch ALSA driver support 192.

So yes it IS just software, but there might be several pieces of software that need to be updated to make it work.

John S.

24/192 is all 'more is better' marketing hype especially when it comes to stereo playback so no one should be bothered that a device like a Squeezebox doesn't support it.