Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm not sure as I never use MySqueezeBox.com...
    Try this:
    1) disconnect all power from all SB devices
    2) uninstall SBS
    3) reinstall SBS
    3a) reboot router, reboot server - make sure that the SBS service starts OK in task manager (check you have set to run as a service via the SBS control Panel - auto run at startup - this is NOT the default on a new install!). Check in SBS Control Panel Diagnostics that all looks OK
    4) reconnect power to SB devices

I also don't use WHS so there may be some peculiarity there too.
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Leigh View Post
    I'm not sure as I never use MySqueezeBox.com...
    Try this:
    1) disconnect all power from all SB devices
    2) uninstall SBS
    3) reinstall SBS
    3a) reboot router, reboot server - make sure that the SBS service starts OK in task manager (check you have set to run as a service via the SBS control Panel - auto run at startup - this is NOT the default on a new install!). Check in SBS Control Panel Diagnostics that all looks OK
    4) reconnect power to SB devices

I also don't use WHS so there may be some peculiarity there too.
    Just tried that. Unfortunately it tries to start the SBS service as the last stage of installation, and gives the earlier "unable to start service" message. I even tried rebooting before reinstalling but it unfortunately made no difference....

Thanks for the suggestions!

Question

hmmm...
    what events do you have in Event Viewer? - is MySQL failing to start?
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones

This is what happens in the app. log when I try installing it:

Code:
    Event Type:	Error
    Event Source:	Application
    Event Category:	None
    Event ID:	0
    Date:		24/01/2010
    Time:		18:05:08
    User:		N/A
    Computer:	HOME-SERVER
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer, or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer, or contact the component manufacturer for a newer version.

If the event was saved from another computer or forwarded from a remote computer, you might have to include display information with the events when saving them or when setting up the forwarding s Perl interpreter failed.
    Code:
    Event Type:	Error
    Event Source:	MsiInstaller
    Event ID:	11920
    Time:		18:05:35
    User:		HOME-SERVER\Administrator
    Description:
    Product: Squeezebox Server 7.4.2-29879 for Windows Home Server -- Error 1920. Service 'squeezesvc' (squeezesvc) failed to start.  Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 7b 36 36 34 41 33 41 32   {664A3A2
    0008: 31 2d 39 45 34 32 2d 34   1-9E42-4
    0010: 45 37 34 2d 41 31 33 42   E74-A13B
    0018: 2d 43 35 30 35 42 46 38   -C505BF8
    0020: 36 45 30 39 46 7d         6E09F}
    Code:
    Event Type:	Information
    Event Source:	MsiInstaller
    Event ID:	11708
    Time:		18:05:36
    User:		HOME-SERVER\Administrator
    Description:
    Product: Squeezebox Server 7.4.2-29879 for Windows Home Server -- Installation failed.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 7b 36 36 34 41 33 41 32   {664A3A2
    0008: 31 2d 39 45 34 32 2d 34   1-9E42-4
    0010: 45 37 34 2d 41 31 33 42   E74-A13B
    0018: 2d 43 35 30 35 42 46 38   -C505BF8
    0020: 36 45 30 39 46 7d         6E09F}
    (this is the install of the latest nightly release)

OK - open the control panel applet and under "Advanced", clean the cache. Then reinstall. This has fixed the problem for other WHS users...
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Leigh View Post
    OK - open the control panel applet and under "Advanced", clean the cache. Then reinstall. This has fixed the problem for other WHS users...
    Just given that a go, but unfortunately it didn't seem to make any difference.

Thanks for the continued help!

SB Server 7.4.1 crashed and won'trestart after WHS security update

> Product: Squeezebox Server 7.4.2-29879 for Windows Home Server -- Error 1920. Service 'squeezesvc' (squeezesvc) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Where did you download the installer file? On the WHS itself or on some other PC? Don't download on the WHS, but some other, then move the file from that PC to the software share on the WHS.

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > Product: Squeezebox Server 7.4.2-29879 for Windows Home Server -- Error 1920. Service 'squeezesvc' (squeezesvc) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Where did you download the installer file? On the WHS itself or on some other PC? Don't download on the WHS, but some other, then move the file from that PC to the software share on the WHS.

--

Michael
    Yep, that's how I always do it. I leave IE on the WHS very restricted and do any WHS related downloading from a different PC (running AV software), and save it to the software share.

I just realise that what I hadn't tried yet was simply to uninstall & re-install the version that had stopped working (release 7.4.1). I've just done this, but still get the same error when the service tries to start. Just to clarify, this is the version that was installed on 19/11/09 and had been working fine from then until a couple of days ago.

I don't reboot this server manually unless an app install etc. requires it - it just runs 24/7. Checking the event viewer, I can see the only reboots working back from the security patch reboot:

23/01/10 (when my problems started)
    27/12/09
    26/12/09
    09/12/09
    05/12/09
    26/11/09
    19/11/09 (when installing 7.4.1)
    Last edited by SadGamerGeek; 2010-01-25 at 03:35.

Now the helpdesk are open I thought I'd better log this a call.

For the benefit of any support people reading this is 100126-000921.

I went through a few basic things with the support guy, but he then said his supervisor said it would need to be escalated as it is on Windows Home Server (I wonder why?). Someone will be ringing me back.

It's very quiet in my house!

Angry

Aaaaaargggghhhhh!

Just filled in an online support form, because I want to ensure the call I have logged is linked to this forum post, so any extra info can be gathered.

I pasted the forum link plus some more info, and was then prompted to create a support account. I game my email address and a new password but was told this account already existed.

I guess I must have set one up ages ago, so I try to login, but get username/password combination not valid. Not surprising as I can't remember what password I would have used.

I take the option to have my password emailed, and copy & paste my email address into the relevant field. I then get the message "The user ID you supplied does not appear to be valid."

Not impressed!