Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dandyman
    • Aug 2008

Why no "touch lite"?

All I need right now is a replacment for a dead CD-Player that is easy to use. I don't need a built in server. A simple client like the old Squeezebox would soffice but with the touchscreen.
  • Letten
    • Apr 2008

The built in server in the Touch adresses a need in the market.

Many struggle with (more or less supported) NAS installations of SC.

Making to version of the product would cost more and confuse buyers in the store, the idea is to make the whole experience simpler.

If you have no need for the built-in server, simply don't use it.
    Vote for "Nap feature": http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14208

Sboxes: Duet, Classic, Radio, 2 Boom's
    Server: HP Laptop, Core i5-540M, 4Gb DDR3, WOL (Wake-on-lan), 1.7watt suspended, Windows 7, LMS 7.7
    Router: Linksys WRT54G wireless

Comment

• agillis
      • Nov 2008

For the low price I have seen some people using the Touch as a controller. Not a player or a server. Just to control their other players. This is the advantage of mass produced commodity hardware. It can have a lot of features you don't use.
      rip, tag, get cover art… All you do is insert the CD!
      http://vortexbox.org

agillis
      Lead Developer VortexBox

Comment

• aubuti
        • Oct 2005

Like Letten said, you can ignore the built-in server on the SBT. Or if you don't need the touchscreen to be attached to the player, there is the combination of "old" SB being controlled remotely by an iPhone or iPod Touch and the iPeng app. Indeed, from comments on these forums it seems that a lot of people prefer the touchscreen to be separate from the player.
        Main system: SB3 > Emotiva XDA-1 > NAD C 325BEE > Vandersteen 1
        Living room: SB2 > Audioengine HD6
        Kitchen/dining: SB2 > AudioSource AMP 100 > 2-pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers
        Deck/patio: SB Receiver > AudioSource AMP 100 > Polk Atrium 45
        Study: Squeezelite-X on Win10 laptop with cheapo Logitech speakers
        Bedroom: SB Radio
        Quiet time: Hifiman Sundara headphones plugged into NAD amp or iPhone + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp
        LMS 8.5 running on a Raspberry Pi3 (piCore), controlled using iPeng and SB Controllers

Comment

• ModelCitizen
          • May 2005

Re: Why no "touch lite"?

Originally posted by agillis
          I have seen some people using the Touch as a controller.
          Are there many people using the Touch then? If so, where do they get them from?

MC
          Take care of your tongue. It is in a wet place and can easily slip.

Lounge: Naim NDX with Touch as controller, Naim NAP 180, NAC 82, NAPSC, HiCap, Shahinian Arc speakers
          Kitchen/outside: Chromecast audio, Azatom iBigBoy 2 (500W)
          And... SB+, radios & tons of Chromecasts... all run from LMS and controlled via Material Skin on any nearby device and a couple of Touchs.

Comment

• iPhone
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by ModelCitizen
            Are there many people using the Touch then? If so, where do they get them from?

MC
            Just guessing at what he might be talking about, I think he might have been referring to Beta Testers that have been talking about Controlling other Squeezeboxes from a desk, end table, or even in-wall mounted Touch. I know I have made some similar comments on how I have been using my Beta Touch.
            iPhone
            Media Room:
            ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
            Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
            Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
            Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
            Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
            Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
            Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
            Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Comment

• DaveWr
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by agillis
              For the low price I have seen some people using the Touch as a controller
              The low price being free then. Sort of removes any true market acceptability statements?

Dave

Comment

• iPhone
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Dandyman
                All I need right now is a replacment for a dead CD-Player that is easy to use. I don't need a built in server. A simple client like the old Squeezebox would soffice but with the touchscreen.
                How about finding an SB3 or Receiver?

Of course by the time you find one the Touch will probably be available. I can tell you this from using a Beta Touch, it is worth waiting for. And as others have said, the built in Tiny SBS server is only one of several features available and not required to use the Touch in a number of situations it can service.

And as far as value, the cost is the same as the unit it is replacing when the SB3 was brand new.
                iPhone
                Media Room:
                ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
                Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
                Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
                Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
                Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
                Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
                Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
                Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Comment

• JJZolx
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Dandyman
                  It wouldn't have been any cheaper, although it might have been released about six months ago. It is a shame that it's not being sold to the many people who will never use the built in server.

Comment

Working...