Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Some Albums Show Up Twice

I just upgraded to 7.4.1 and it works fine except for the Album view.

A number of my albums show up twice, they are one after the other but I only have one copy of the album on the disc. It appears completely random as to which albums this happens with. Though the same albums are always duplicated. Anyone have any ideas on this one? I am running on Vista and Firefox 3.5.7

Thanks

If you click on the albums that show up multiple times, do the multiple albums contain the same tracks, or are the albums being split into pieces (tracks 1-3 on one, 4-7 on next, etc.?)
    Anything unique about these albums, such as "compilations" - do all the tracks have the same artist tags?

Some Albums Show Up Twice

Quote Originally Posted by tcutting View Post
    If you click on the albums that show up multiple times, do the multiple albums contain the same tracks, or are the albums being split into pieces (tracks 1-3 on one, 4-7 on next, etc.?)
    Anything unique about these albums, such as "compilations" - do all the tracks have the same artist tags?
    Both copies contain the same tracks.

The only thing about these albums that is a bit unique is they are rare jazz recordings for the most part. However, Glenn Gould's Goldberg Variations is also duplicated so it is not just jazz albums and lots of other jazz albums show up correctly.

All of the tracks have the same artist, they are not compilations.

J

Are there different paths to the file.

For example, it may live at:

E:\Music
    \\nas\Music

Not to mention shortcuts, etc, that can confuse things more... or via playlists with a differing path.

Digging down on the track details should show you the path to the file.

This can happen if SBS has one idea of where music is (ie, a drive letter) and some other source (MusicIP, iTunes, or playlists) refer to the same file in a different way (ie, via UNC syntax).

Quote Originally Posted by snarlydwarf View Post
    Are there different paths to the file.

For example, it may live at:

E:\Music
    \\nas\Music

Not to mention shortcuts, etc, that can confuse things more... or via playlists with a differing path.

Digging down on the track details should show you the path to the file.

This can happen if SBS has one idea of where music is (ie, a drive letter) and some other source (MusicIP, iTunes, or playlists) refer to the same file in a different way (ie, via UNC syntax).
    That's what the problem is! The first instance is c:/media/music/album and the second is /media/music/album .

So how do I figure out what is causing the second /media entry?

Thanks

J

Edit - I checked and all of the albums have playlists that show up when you select playlist. But the playlists for the albums that appear once show up as blanks. There are no entries in these playlists. The playlists for the albums that show up twice are fully populated and they use the /media addresses. Not sure why the playlists are different.

How do I get the album display function to ignore playlists?

J

OK I might have fixed this... I discovered I had the Music File as c:/media/music and the playlist file as /media/music. I have set them both to /media and am rebuilding the database. Should fix the problem.

Yup that fixed it!

Thanks
    Last edited by raceski; 2010-01-12 at 13:30. Reason: Added information

Same effect .... different cause?

Hi

I too have the duplicate album issue but the tracks are split across the album entries (i.e. no duplicates).

It seems to split by file extension with all the m4a's together and the mp3's also grouped under their own album entry. I don't have too many albums like this but I would like to find a solution?

Thanks in advance

J

MrSinatra
    are they in the same folder?

do they have exact tag matches? look for disc tag, album, albumartist, etc...

Tag differences

Hi

Yes they are all in the same folder.

One example is a mix of 4 FLAC and 2 mp3 files which get split into duplicate albums.

Obviously the FLAC files have FLAC tags and the mp3 have ID3v2.3 (ID3v1 ID3v2.3) tags. Album, Artist and Album artist are the same. Year is different and the Discnumber format is different: the FLACS having Discnumber 1 and the mp3's having Discnumber 1/1.

Could this be the cause?

MrSinatra
    maybe. i don't know if thats it or different formats or what, but i'd love it if you tell us when u figure it out.

The results are in .....

OK here's what I found.....

It appears to be related to the Discnumber tag.

If the tag is blank then the Album appears with just the description i.e. 'Once Bitten, Twice Shy'

If the tag = 1 then the Album appears once with the description 'Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Disk 1)'

If the tag = 2 then the Album appears once with the description 'Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Disk 2)'

If the tag = 1/1 then the Album appears once with the description 'Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Disk 1 of 1)'

If the tag = 1/2 then the Album appears once with the description 'Once Bitten Twice Shy (Disk 1 of 2)'

If the tags are a mix of 1/2 and 2/2 then the Album appears twice, once with the description 'Once Bitten Twice Shy (Disk 1 of 2)' and then again with the description 'Once Bitten Twice Shy (Disk 2 of 2)'

I had a mix of 1 and 1/1 which resulted in two entries

'Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Disk 1)' which has those tracks with the 1 tag and
    'Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Disk 1 of 1)' with those where discnumber = 1/1

The format (e.g. FLAC or mp3) didn't make any difference.

I suppose it's obvious when you think about it, but that's what was happening.

As you've rightly pointed out in other posts, tagging correctly has a huge effect on how slimserver operates.
    Last edited by Stillneon; 2010-01-22 at 07:23. Reason: Correction