Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6

    "Album Artist" sort

    My Boom uses the "Album Artist" field on my mp3s to sort the artists. How can I change it to use the "Artist" field instead?

    My server (version 7.4) is connected to iTunes, on Mac Snow Leopard.

  2. #2
    I wish mine did that, but instead it shows the "Artist" tag.

    Album Artist is much preferred for genres such as classical, where one typically uses Artist=Composer e.g. Verdi, but the Album Artist is the performer e.g. Cecilia Bartoli

  3. #3
    MrSinatra
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    My Boom uses the "Album Artist" field on my mp3s to sort the artists. How can I change it to use the "Artist" field instead?

    My server (version 7.4) is connected to iTunes, on Mac Snow Leopard.
    afaik you can't, sort of... its a ridiculous limitation of SBS software.

    if SBS scans in an AA tag, it'll sort by that, period. no dynamic ability to sort, browse, etc, differently on the fly.

    now, if you use TPE2 for AA tags, you can tell it to treat TPE2 as a band tag, not an AA tag. this will require a full clear and rescan and mean you need to turn off itunes integration if you use that. p.i.t.a.

    want to browse by AA again? same thing in reverse. p.i.t.a.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Philip Meyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    My Boom uses the "Album Artist" field on my mp3s to sort the artists. How can I change it to use the "Artist" field instead?
    What part of the application are you talking about? Browse Artists, Browse Albums?

    If you are talking about Browse Artists, then all artists AND album artists are displayed (setting "List compilation albums under each artist") but you can prevent an explosion of single-song artists that appear on compilation albums by changing this setting to "Group compilation albums together". The list can optionally show Bands, Conductors and Composers. Changing these settings does not require a rescan.

    If you are talking about Browse Albums (or browsing albums belonging to a particular artist), then if there's an album artist, this is always shown. If there isn't an album artist for the album, it will show either the artist(s) or the band (depending on a setting).
    "List albums by all artists for that album" will show the list of artists performing all songs on the album (often one artist).
    "List albums by band" will show the band name, otherwise the artists.

    It will always sort by the artist names that you see, so whether you are seeing artists or album artists.

  5. #5
    MrSinatra
    Guest
    Phil, are you talking only about SBS above?

    my impression is he was asking about what his Boom will display.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Meyer View Post
    What part of the application are you talking about? Browse Artists, Browse Albums?
    I'm talking about my Squeezebox Boom. When I select a Genre, it displays all the "Album Artist" fields in that genre, not the "Artists". iPods display the Artists, so I've already spent a lot of time fixing that field on all the music in my library.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
    afaik you can't, sort of... its a ridiculous limitation of SBS software.

    if SBS scans in an AA tag, it'll sort by that, period. no dynamic ability to sort, browse, etc, differently on the fly.

    now, if you use TPE2 for AA tags, you can tell it to treat TPE2 as a band tag, not an AA tag. this will require a full clear and rescan and mean you need to turn off itunes integration if you use that. p.i.t.a.

    want to browse by AA again? same thing in reverse. p.i.t.a.
    I'll try this, but yeah. A pain.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Philip Meyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,596

    "Album Artist" sort

    >I'm talking about my Squeezebox Boom. When I select a Genre, it
    >displays all the "Album Artist" fields in that genre, not the "Artists".
    >iPods display the Artists, so I've already spent a lot of time fixing
    >that field on all the music in my library.

    I saw a post from Andy in the Beta forum this morning indicating that he just fixed a bug to do with browsing artists within a genre.

  9. #9
    MrSinatra
    Guest
    embedded or full?

  10. #10
    Senior Member Philip Meyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,596

    "Album Artist" sort

    >embedded or full?
    >

    Not sure.

    I would assume that such a change should go in the latest official release bug fix branch, and auto merge into 7.5.0 and then into the branches of 7.5 (thus end up in embedded).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •