Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Installation Guide for Sheevaplug as a SBS for Dummies

This thread is closed, please visit:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=76466

Greeting,
    Thomas

Hi,
    the last Weeks I’ve tested a lot with my SheevaPlug to find the best setup for a SheevaPlug as a Squeezeboxserver (SBS). I now think that I’ve found an optimal solution and I want to let you participate in my experiences. I also profit from documentations found in the net. Nothing I write here is original from me. But I’ve put the best and the efficient
    together in one wiki. So If you are no linux expert this wiki will help you a lot to setup your own SBS.

I’ve tested:
    1. SBS on the default ubuntu system (copied to a sd-card because of the limited storage space in the NAND).
    2. SBS on Debian Lenny
    3. SBS on Debian Squeeze
    Ubuntu support for ARM-Prozessors (SheevaPlug uses this) ends with this version. SBS on Debian Lenny had some problems with the mysql-server I could'nt solve. Debian Squeeze runs very well. So I decided to use this setup. If you find some faults or improvements, tell me and I will put it in this wiki.

Please read the wiki: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...er_for_dummies

+++ 2010-02-23 New Blog is online now !!! http://squeezeplug.de/ New Image available here !!! +++

+++ 2010-02-05 Samba Share Connection added to the Wiki +++

+++ 2010-01-31 Wiki updated, some important changes are made, please note!!! +++

+++ 2010-01-27 Wiki available +++

Greetings, Thomas
    Last edited by truehl; 2010-03-22 at 14:34.
    SqueezePlug & MAX2Play,
    2 x Squeezebox Duet,
    1 x Squeezebox Touch,
    1 x Onkyo TX-8050 DLNA ready receiver
    iPeng,

My Blog: Blog
    My Downloads: Downloads

Feel free to donate my SqueezePlug project: Donate, thanks a lot!

Well done Thomas, your guide will be a great help.

Happy New Year,

kesey
    Squeezebox Classic:2; Duet: 1; Boom:1; Touch:1; Wandboard Quad; Squeezelite.
    Server: Wandboard Quad with SoA; Raspberry Pi/Wolfson Card with Squeezeplug 7.06; (backup:Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Sheevaplug with Squeezeplug); iPeng, iPeng for Ipad, Orange Squeeze, Squeezepad, LMS Version: Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.0

don't you want to upload it to the wiki ?

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...allation_guide

Just create a new section in link to the attachment.

It would be interesting to explain the differences to the existing tutorials (otherwise new users couldn't decide which one to use).

If yours is essentially the same (but better explained with more text) feel free to edit the existing text !
    Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
    Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? Squeezebox + iPad = SqueezePad
    Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
    Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet

Thanks all for your feedback!!!
    Before I put it in a wiki I want to discuss this documentation with you. I think that there is some room for improvement!

The difference between my documentation and others is that I’ve put all things together: Setting up Debian, installing SBS, connecting music library … and so on. It should be an installation guide for absolute Linux dummies (like me before), not asking why instead of just doing it step by step and in a very straight forward way. The other thing is that I plan to give interested people Images of the setup, so that they only have to do a minimum of changes to get a perfect SBS to work.

I’ve made two images: The first (Stage I) is only a debian squeeze linux for a 4GB sd-card. The second is a complete system with SBS, Webmin and the other things described in the Guide. At time I’m searching for a place from where interested people can download these Images. If someone has an idea, please tell me.

Greeting Thomas

I think the biggest issue for most people is to get the serial connection working via putty. It is described on the plugcomputer wiki, but it might be good to include it in this document.
    There is the solution of buying the Sheeva from newit with the sd-card included, this solves the problem of setting up the booting from sd-card. But this costs a bit extra while it is quite easy to do it yourself.
    Setup: 1 Touch, 4 Booms and 1 Radio.
    Server: LMS 7.8 (DebianVM in Proxmox), Tonido for webbased playback

some posts in this forum suggest that even shevvaplug+sd from newit still have the rootfs as ubifs on the nand.

Images available for download

+++ News: You can send me a personal message and I'll send you a link where you can download the two Images discriebed in the documentation. Stage I Image is a Debian Squeeze Basic Image. You can start from here using my documentaion. If you want to save time you can download the Stage II Image. It's a fully installed Debian Squeeze with SBS an everything as discriebed in the documenation. You only have to customize a few things. +++

Greetings, Thomas

+++ 2010-01-07 News: I've added "10 steps to your squeezeboxserver on a sheevaplug" to the Guide +++

*** Please allways look at the first post in this thread I'm updating it frequently ***

Hi,

It does seem a pity not to update the original wiki. The one thing I've found with the sheevaplug is that there a wide range of options at every stage: linux/windows as host machine; cu/minicom/putty; debian lenny, squeeze, ubuntu, ..; copy rootfs from nand, cyrius.com install, sheever install; nfs, samba, usb hdd etc. I've tried all bar NFS and copying the rootfs and I've found what works for me. Ideally, one source of documentation would be the most useful.

Just my 2c!

Bob
    Sheevaplug running Debian Squeeze on 4GB SD card
    SBS 7.7 + Classic White, Classic Black, Radio , 2 x SB1, Squeezeslave on OSX

Quote Originally Posted by drbob49 View Post
    It does seem a pity not to update the original wiki.Bob
    I'll do this, when I've got a litle more feedback and be sure everything works!
    Quote Originally Posted by drbob49 View Post
    The one thing I've found with the sheevaplug is that there a wide range of options at every stage: linux/windows as host machine; cu/minicom/putty; debian lenny, squeeze, ubuntu, ..; copy rootfs from nand, cyrius.com install, sheever install; nfs, samba, usb hdd etc. Bob
    Yes, you are right and therefor I tried to put all together. The other thing is, that you can use my Images to set up your SBS as quick as possible. Thats for all that have no fun to play arround with the sheeva.

Greetings,
    Thomas