Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by whitman View Post
    That was my point - I'm not denying that's how Apple see it, but that's no reason for us to get involved with that. It does not impinge on using iTunes.
    If you don't want to be involved you don't have to post or read the posts. iTunes does not work for me any longer by way of corrupting my files and mangling the tags used by SServer. Therefore "using iTunes" is not an option and I'm researching alternatives wit the help of the Squeezebox community, of whom a portion use Macs and are having iTunes issues.

Is there a particular facet of the posts in this thread that upset you, or are you not understanding that because you haven't experienced headache inducing problems caused by iTunes (yet) that many other are and do on a regular basis? Telling me that I'm not having issues with iTunes is akin to the band playing as the Titanic went down.
    I like it, you may not. I understand and respect that.

Apologies, kphinney, I didn't mean to annoy you. I must have failed to explain myself. Let me try to put it more simply.

I didn't mean you hadn't had problems with iTunes. It's clear you have, and I'm sorry you've suffered. I wish you joy in your quest to find another program that does what you want.

I meant that in post #29, you go on about iTunes as a self-promoting product etc, and that my solution to such worries about Apple's intentions is simply to ignore them. Use iTunes or don't use iTunes, but there's no need to get involved with buying stuff and all that.

That's what I meant about not getting involved. Posting and reading posts will continue to occupy me here, because there's such a great community of helpful people about when I get stuck with my Squeezeboxes.

No worries. I now understand. Perhaps I need more fiber in my diet.

OK, and understood. Chocolate is also very good for you.

Another.....

I found an old copy of Whamb. Simple, clean, but no longer supported and not awfully stable on my Intel Mac 10.6.

Another.....

Amarok -- should be familiar to linux users. There is a OSX 10.5 build, but no luck on a 10.6 yet. This would probably end up as my pick of choice to this point, having used to to a good deal of happiness on Ubuntu and older Fedora builds.

Vox. Vox is billed as "The Lghtweight Music App for Mac OSX" and it's pretty good, clean yet full featured if you open additional windows. Does what I want plus add features for effects (time, pitch, reverb, flanger, echo, etc.) and it looks like it can export playlists, although I can't get the function to work.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Fluke

Hello, apologies for coming to this discussion late, but I've had a similar problem - and a solution (at least for me).

I have an iMac and a very large music collection, held in iTunes (multiple libraries) and many ALAC files. I run SBS on a ReadyNAS and the transcoding involved in playing ALAC was beginning to cause stutters etc, so I decided to re-rip most of my ALAC to FLAC.

As I'm playing my music via SBS (Duet) I rarely use iTunes as a player (apart from previewing etc.) but I do like its database functions - I can see what music I have and find it quicker in iTunes than via my Duet control (or SBS web interface) - and I like iTunes' tagging (though I also use Media Rage).

The obvious problem in converting my ALAC to FLAC was iTunes - and then I found Fluke: http://blowintopieces.com/blog/2008/...acs-in-itunes/

The latest beta installed fine in Snow Leopard and it works (for me) a treat.

My workflow, for FLAC files, is: rip via Max, apply REPLAYGAIN via metaflac (command line .. but it's easy), tag via Jaikoz (it's a bit clunky but works well), import to iTunes via Fluke (select all files and File > Open With > Fluke).

It imports quickly, and my FLAC files are visible, playable and taggable in iTunes. I may have to correct a couple of missing tags and Fluke doesn't handle artwork - but I can add artwork via Jaikoz (visible on my Duet control) and if I want artwork in iTunes I use iTunes' Get Album Artwork (it works in 90% of cases).

This may not work for everyone .. but it does for me.
    Last edited by spiffin; 2010-01-13 at 08:26.

Quote Originally Posted by spiffin View Post
    My workflow, for FLAC files, is: rip via Max, apply REPLAYGAIN via metaflac (command line .. but it's easy), tag via Jaikoz (it's a bit clunky but works well), import to iTunes via Fluke (select all files and File > Open With > Fluke).

It imports quickly, and my FLAC files are visible, playable and taggable in iTunes. I may have to correct a couple of missing tags and Fluke doesn't handle artwork - but I can add artwork via Jaikoz (visible on my Duet control) and if I want artwork in iTunes I use iTunes' Get Album Artwork (it works in 90% of cases).

This may not work for everyone .. but it does for me.
    Thanks spiffin. I've been using TwistedFLAC (& MacFuse) to give similar results with the added benefit of being able to export the ghosted file onto your iPod.

Here's a link to an old post I began (FLAC on a Mac with iTunes - CAN DO!) found at:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=47878