Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

FATAL: There is already another copy of the SqueezeboxServerrunning on this machine

Good thought but I didn't find any at all (I eyeballed but I also use "Everything Search" and searched all of Docs and Settings).

I hooked up a Classic and it was good to hear some music but I don't think that I can leave the machine with this setup (it might be ok if it were mine) but too much could go wrong sometime in the future and then I (she) would be back to square one. I realize we've pushed the ball farther down the field and I know there's no right answer still about where a solution may lie but I again need to assess what the options are at this point. I know (now) that SlimServer can run on this machine. What do you recommend?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    The possibility of library files causing a problem made me recall an old problem about the temporary files that are created when SqueezeSvr.exe is run and sometimes old version was installed.

You check in \Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAME\Local Settings\Temp for directories that begin "par-" and "pdk-" . If there is more than one "pdk-" then old directories are being kept. I think all the "par-" and "pdk-" should be deleted, expunged and PC rebooted.

I agree, this is not the most satisfactory way to run SBS mainly because it would be hard to keep up to date.

The fact the script version runs but the executable fails makes it likely to be a problem with how the exe was built or possibly even the ActiveState apps rather than SBS code.

I found no similar reports in ActiveState forums so I think the problem is either
    (i) how the SqueezeSvr.exe is decompressed and run
    (ii) some support library clash or mismatch.

For (i) - If SqueezeSvr.exe runs OK then there should be one "pdk-*" directory - if there is no pdk directory then I would look for some sort of permission issue preventing file writing of the directory.

For (ii) - since SqueezeSvr.exe doesn't run - it is necessary to look at what DLLs are used by SqueezeSvr.exe on a similar XP system and then check versions on the "faulty" system. One way is to use Process Explorer and open the lower Pane and from the menu select DLLs to be shown in lower pane.

FATAL: There is already another copy of the SqueezeboxServerrunning on this machine

Thanks for your analysis as always. I investigated a bit more what you said about the pdk's ("there should be one "pdk-*" directory - if there is no pdk directory then I would look for some sort of permission issue preventing file writing of the directory"). I have them on my main server but no trace on the fatal machine. The OS is XP Home and it doesn't really support folder permissions from what I can tell (at least not like XPPro). I did though for goofs share the main user folder on the network (share folder / and / allow network users to change files) and I got a couple of pdk's. That seemed promising so I went through various iterations of uninstall and install but am still getting the fatal message. I also shared the allusers/applicationdata folder and post-install the pf/squeeze folder but same result. So while permissions still seem a potential I don't know what else I can give (I had tried the other day to create and run under a new admin account and different default location but to no avail). Possibility (ii) is still a possibility but I'm afraid that that's like looking for a needle in a haystack. Am back to considering blowing away the drive and reinstalling windows tomorrow (XPPro if I can find a legit copy but XPHome again if not - I have disks for that). I've saved off all personal folders already. Obviously I don't want to do this for the heck of it - what do you think about that? If SlimServer won't run after that then I don't think it ever will.

Thanks -
    Tom

I agree, this is not the most satisfactory way to run SBS mainly because it would be hard to keep up to date.

The fact the script version runs but the executable fails makes it likely to be a problem with how the exe was built or possibly even the ActiveState apps rather than SBS code.

I found no similar reports in ActiveState forums so I think the problem is either
    (i) how the SqueezeSvr.exe is decompressed and run
    (ii) some support library clash or mismatch.

For (i) - If SqueezeSvr.exe runs OK then there should be one "pdk-*" directory - if there is no pdk directory then I would look for some sort of permission issue preventing file writing of the directory.

For (ii) - since SqueezeSvr.exe doesn't run - it is necessary to look at what DLLs are used by SqueezeSvr.exe on a similar XP system and then check versions on the "faulty" system. One way is to use Process Explorer and open the lower Pane and from the menu select DLLs to be shown in lower pane.

Backslapping and beerdrinking - drinks around for everyone in the world!

Got a late start today but reformatted the drive, installed XPPro, took all the Windows updates, installed Revo Uninstaller, then SlimServer 7.4.1.

Installed like in my dreams (as I expected when the saga began). I do regret that after all that time that ultimately there is no root cause but my friend was starting to miss her computer.

I'll raise a glass tonight to Sean and Dean, their corporate descendents, the loyal community, and especially bpa (man - can't thank you enough - you went above and beyond the call).

Yeah, yeah, yeah (that's the music playing)
    Tom

I've had that sort of Windows fault before - where after years of operation, the accumulated crud of multiple installs, uninstall and updates seems to end up with a mixed up systems - this is verified by a clean install.

I think you have characterised the problem - it was some sort of Windows problem which is probably unreproducible.

However I will file a bug report to get the SBS code changed to fix the "unknown error" bug and produce a proper error message.

Hey man -

You spent almost as much time on my problem as I did. Thanks so much. I'd like to send you a couple of beers. What's the best way to do that - can I email you off list?

You taught me a few things to boot.

Tom

I've had that sort of Windows fault before - where after years of operation, the accumulated crud of multiple installs, uninstall and updates seems to end up with a mixed up systems - this is verified by a clean install.

I think you have characterised the problem - it was some sort of Windows problem which is probably unreproducible.

However I will file a bug report to get the SBS code changed to fix the "unknown error" bug and produce a proper error message.