Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Browsing to mixers for the artist of a song

This is something I do quite frequently on SB3.

eg. I play random songs, something comes on that takes my fancy, and I browse to the artist to play another album by that artist, or perhaps bring up a MusicIP mix using the artist as a seed.

The context menu on Touch/Radio for a song allows navigation to the artist or album, etc, but there's no way to bring up the context menu for the artist. i.e. can't touch-hold an item in a context menu, so you have to manually Browse Artist and find the artist in the list in order to bring up context menu from that list. And if the artist for a song happens to be a track artist on a compilation album, the artist may not even appear in Browse Artist list, which means it's not possible to bring the context menu with the mixers for the artist.

Am I missing some trick?

It looks like the artist and album names should be touchable items on the Now Playing screen - when touched they turn grey. But touching anywhere on the screen changes the current playlist display mode. It's been said before that this seems back-to-front - clicking the title bar should change display mode, and touch-hold on the song title should bring up the context menu for the song (and could then be extended so that touch-hold on the artist or album brings up the context menu for the item chosen).

But even if that was sorted out, it's only a solution for the currently playing song, not if you want to navigate through your library in any other way.

I did have a moment of joy today when I clicked on a song title and it showed song information rather than blow my playlist away. I thought for one moment that a recent firmware update must have changed this behaviour for the better. However, I then realised that I'd navigated into Erlands Custom Browse plugin, which still allows true hyperlinked browsing.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Meyer View Post
    It looks like the artist and album names should be touchable items on the Now Playing screen - when touched they turn grey. But touching anywhere on the screen changes the current playlist display mode.

It's been said before that this seems back-to-front - clicking the title bar should change display mode, and touch-hold on the song title should bring up the context menu for the song (and could then be extended so that touch-hold on the artist or album brings up the context menu for the item chosen).

But even if that was sorted out, it's only a solution for the currently playing song, not if you want to navigate through your library in any other way.
    I wonder if this is a bug, at the end of October Ben committed something with the description "Touching the track/artist/album block on the Now Playing screen raises a context menu"

My personal feeling is that hold-touch on an artist should always open the context menu independent on where you are standing, even if you are standing on an artist item inside a context menu.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    (Developer of many plugins/applets (both free and commercial).
    If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third party plugin/applet development, consider purchasing some plugins)

Interested in the future of music streaming ? ickStream - A world of music at your fingertips.

Browsing to mixers for the artist of a song

>My personal feeling is that hold-touch on an artist should always open
    >the context menu independent on where you are standing, even if you are
    >standing on an artist item inside a context menu.

Totally agree. And only ever bring up the context menu with a long-touch action, never single press. Single press should navigate into the item (eg. touch artist to show albums by that artist, touch album name to show songs on the album, long-touch to get actions for the item).

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Meyer View Post
    >My personal feeling is that hold-touch on an artist should always open
    >the context menu independent on where you are standing, even if you are
    >standing on an artist item inside a context menu.

Totally agree. And only ever bring up the context menu with a long-touch action, never single press. Single press should navigate into the item (eg. touch artist to show albums by that artist, touch album name to show songs on the album, long-touch to get actions for the item).
    Did this ever get fixed ?
    (Just bought a Touch, still exploring how to use it - XP, Version: 7.6.0 - r31479 )
    A camel is a racehorse designed by a committee.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirrunna View Post
    Did this ever get fixed ?
    (Just bought a Touch, still exploring how to use it - XP, Version: 7.6.0 - r31479 )
    I don't think so.
    If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third party plugin/applet development, consider purchasing some plugins)

Interested in the future of music streaming ? ickStream - A world of music at your fingertips.

Thank you erland, the gui is taking a bit of getting used to after the SB3 text based interface. I'm also missing Lazy Search 2, I think I will end up using iPeng mainly to control the touch. I do like the album art display, it adds a bit more than scrolling text.

Long touch brings up menu that includes create MIP mix

Just loaded Version: 7.6.0 - r31585 on XP to compliment my brand new Touch.
    On the Touch, selected New Music, Selected an album and all the tracks displayed.
    Long touch on a track brought up a display that showed details of the track and the last item in the display was "Create MusicIP Mix". Touch that and a mix was created and a new menu appeared headed "MusicIP Mix", first item Play Mix and then all the tracks in the mix are listed.

Excellent ! Well done.

Phil and Erland, please try this as I believe they have got it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirrunna View Post
    Long touch on a track brought up a display that showed details of the track and the last item in the display was "Create MusicIP Mix". Touch that and a mix was created and a new menu appeared headed "MusicIP Mix", first item Play Mix and then all the tracks in the mix are listed.

Phil and Erland, please try this as I believe they have got it right.
    Creating a MusicIP mix based on a track has always worked, what we were talking about was to show track details and launch a MusicIP mix based on one of the artists that performed on the track. A MusicIP mix based on an artist is not the same as one based on a track.