Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

random order playlist

I must be doing something wrong but I just can't figure this out. I want to play some favourite tracks of my music collection in a random order. So I made a playlist with all my favourite tracks but how do I get my duet to play this in a random order?

Quote Originally Posted by Huit View Post
    I must be doing something wrong but I just can't figure this out. I want to play some favourite tracks of my music collection in a random order. So I made a playlist with all my favourite tracks but how do I get my duet to play this in a random order?
    Turn on shuffle by song mode. You'll find shuffle under the "Settings" menu.

davep

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    Turn on shuffle by song mode. You'll find shuffle under the "Settings" menu.

davep
    Thanks, but that doesn't work. There's something odd going on with shuffle though. When I try to enable it on my controller it appears to skip several options. I see "album" and "song" but most of the times it sitchws right back to off. Pressing several times does get me the setting "song" though. However, it doesn't do a thing and in the Squeezebox Server I can see that shuffle isn't enabled. In the server I can press the shuffle button but it doesn't enable. Any thoughts??

A reboot did the trick. Thanks for your help.

I do find it a bit odd though to have to go to settings to enable shuffle. I don't want to enable it all the time, just every now and then. It's the same for the repeat function. Who wants to enable this all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Huit View Post
    I do find it a bit odd though to have to go to settings to enable shuffle. I don't want to enable it all the time, just every now and then. It's the same for the repeat function. Who wants to enable this all the time?
    A lot of people never use shuffle or repeat, and are quite happy to have them placed under Settings rather than cluttering up the home menu. If you don't want to have to go through Settings, then you can move them up to the Home menu (via Settings > Home Menu). You'll save one button press.

Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    A lot of people never use shuffle or repeat, and are quite happy to have them placed under Settings rather than cluttering up the home menu. If you don't want to have to go through Settings, then you can move them up to the Home menu (via Settings > Home Menu). You'll save one button press.
    You're right but by placing it under settings it becomes a feature that is either switched on or off. A nice alternative would be to have an option that allows to select a random mix from a playlist or from your favourites.

I'm not sure I follow you. How is that "option" not turning something on or off? Where would one encounter that option?

In general SBS gets pokey slow in dealing with long playlists, shuffled or not.

The 'cheap' way is to use the RandomMix plug in.

More complicated ways involve using or abusing the (for lack of a better name) the set of plugins referred to as Erland's Plugins.

Specifically Dynamic Playlists (and you should install at least TrackStat as well).

This lets the computer make up playlists for you based on "Songs not listened to recently" and "Songs with 3 or more star ratings" etc. It will grab a few songs and keep adding songs to the end of a dynamically generated playlist (and removing played songs from the start of the list). This gets you more precise selection than a total random songlist, and doesn't make the server get whiney about have a 10000 track playlist.

Quote Originally Posted by snarlydwarf View Post
    The 'cheap' way is to use the RandomMix plug in.
    Is this plug in something else then the allready available Random Mix option? Because with that I can't generate a random mix from favourite tracks or a playlist. Generating a random mix from favourite tracks is actually what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    I'm not sure I follow you. How is that "option" not turning something on or off? Where would one encounter that option?
    It is indeed turning shufle on or off. But as you said, it's a feature not used regularly (neither by me) so it feels silly to alter something in the settings of a system for that.

However, the whole "problem" is actually caused by the need to abuse playlists. What I really want is being able to create a random mix from my favourite tracks.