Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to "SSH into" the SB Radio?

Hi People,

On many occasions I read about SSH. I found in the Radio's menu how to enable it. and noted down the IP address and password, but what next?

I want to accomplish disabling the IR cell for the remote. Every time I use the remote for the Boom in another part of the room, the Radio cheerfully joins in.

In another thread I found the path to the file (in the Radio firm/software) that must be renamed, I just need a hand getting in. BTW, I'm on a Mac running Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and Squeezebox Server version 7.4.1 - r28947 @ Tue Oct 20 08:13:22 PDT 2009

Cheers,

Rob
    Last edited by photoface; 2009-12-22 at 12:41.

I haven't SSH'd into the Radio, but have used PuTTy to access my Linux server, and also to get into the Controller. I use PuTTy on Windows, but I believe it's available for other OS's as well.

Thanks.
    I think I would use Terminal then. I ping the IP of the radio, and it replies. But if I type the IP address and Return I get a "Command Not Found".

Obviously it needs some kind of UNIX syntax, but I don't know that.

Rob

Hello,
    just use putty with the ip of the radio and the username and password that will be displayed on the radio when you activate the remote login.

Can you explain me, why you want to do it?
    What can you do "in" the radio then? I heard about it, but never read what you could do inside.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by photoface View Post
    Hi People,

On many occasions I read about SSH. I found in the Radio's menu how to enable it. and noted down the IP address and password, but what next?

I want to accomplish disabling the IR cell for the remote. Every time I use the remote for the Boom in another part of the room, the Radio cheerfully joins in.

In another thread I found the path to the file (in the Radio firm/software) that must be renamed, I just need a hand getting in. BTW, I'm on a Mac running Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and Squeezebox Server version 7.4.1 - r28947 @ Tue Oct 20 08:13:22 PDT 2009

Cheers,

Rob
    On a Mac, Applications/Utilities/Terminal Program, at the command line type:
    ssh -l root "IP Address of Player" <Return
    It will then ask for the Root password and you're in.

Happy SSHing
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: Duet, Mac Mini
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    On a Mac, Applications/Utilities/Terminal Program, at the command line type:
    ssh -l root "IP Address of Player" <Return
    It will then ask for the Root password and you're in.

Happy SSHing
    See this post: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpo...44&postcount=4
    This is how I disabled IR for my SBR, using the Terminal app with Mac OSX. In case you found this thread before, check it again, because I just added step by step instructions.

Thanks!
    George
    Last edited by gdpeck; 2009-12-22 at 13:58.

Thanks for replying! I tried what you suggested, with and without quotes, spaces, but it returns:

ssh: Could not resolve hostname root: nodename nor servname provided, or not known

When I Ping the address though, it replies correctly.

Rob

With the controller, you had to go into a setting to enable remote access via SSH. Perhaps the same is true for the SBR?
    Rich
    ---------
    Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.
    Current library stats: 40,810 songs, 3,153 albums, 582 artists.
    http://www.last.fm/user/maggior

Quote Originally Posted by photoface View Post
    Thanks for replying! I tried what you suggested, with and without quotes, spaces, but it returns:

ssh: Could not resolve hostname root: nodename nor servname provided, or not known

When I Ping the address though, it replies correctly.

Rob
    That is strange. It works for me with or without quotes. I'm not using Snow Leopard, but I don't think that should matter. Are you using a lower case l (lima) as the parameter for ssh?

It also wouldn't hurt to re-verify that Remote Login is still enabled on the Radio, although I tried with it disabled and got a different error message.

I'm in! I used

ssh -l

in stead of

ssh -1

In short, I typed in a "one" which didn't work. Then a lowercase "L" did.

Now I need the proper syntax to rename

/usr/share/jive/jive/irMap_default.lua

into someting else.

Thanks all for helping me!

Rob