Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Announce: BBCiPlayerExtra v1.0

BBCiPlayerExtra - a plugin to provide additional menus for BBCiPlayer for Categories, A-Z and Schedule.

This is a small plugin which works with BBCiPlayer plugin (which must be installed separately) and provides some additional functionality which I find useful. This plugin uses BBCiPlayer to play the streams - the BBCiPlayerExtra plugin just gets the program information from other BBC sources and offers different menus to play the same programs. It is installed using the Plugins repository 3rd party or in 7.3 using Extension Downloader.

The BBCiPlayer Extra menu will appear below BBCiPlayer menu in Internet Radio. On Squeezeplay devices I have found it is necessary to restart them to get the new menu to display.

To install - add the following repository URL http://bpaplugins.googlecode.com/svn...repo-short.xml to the Plugins tab or if using 7.3 the Extensions Downloader plugin, click apply and then select the BBCiPlayerExtra plugin.

Notes
    The plugin uses the web pages and Schedule feeds which are more specific rather than the BBC XML feed used by BBCiPlayer. The XML feeds have all programs for a station.

This enables menus of programs based on genre (e.g. Radio 4 comedy) or some other criteria (e.g.popular, date) to be created which are shorter lists of programs than offered by BBCiPlayer. Another advantages of using these feeds is that if the main BBCiPlayer XML feed is faulty - these RSS feeds often still work.

The Schedule menu gives user info on what programs are due to be broadcast. This functionality used to be provided by the "BBC What's On" info browser addon. Info comes from the Radio Schedule info from the BBC Schedule feeds ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/developers ).
    For each station the Schedule menu shows "Todays" schedule and at the bottom menus for: Yesterday, Tomorrow and Next Week. For Yesterday and Today schedule - any program that is available (on Squeezeplay indicated by the lack of a ">" at end of entry, on other players a note symbol is present) can be played. This means for example, The Archers and Book at Bedtime on Radio 4 can be played before the broadcast time - same as web iPlayer interface
    Last edited by bpa; 2015-03-14 at 18:26. Reason: updated to reflect V1.8

Thankyou for the update.

I don't get any Now/Next info while listening to WMA streams.

From the server log:

[09-12-17 19:09:38.0860] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1164) Warning: [19:09:38.0852] Use of uninitialized value in hash element at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Squeezebox\Cache\InstalledPlugins/Plugins/BBCiPlayerExtra/Metadata.pm line 226.
    [09-12-17 19:09:38.0872] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1164) Warning: [19:09:38.0865] Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Squeezebox\Cache\InstalledPlugins/Plugins/BBCiPlayerExtra/Metadata.pm line 238.
    [09-12-17 19:09:38.0883] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1164) Warning: [19:09:38.0876] Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Squeezebox\Cache\InstalledPlugins/Plugins/BBCiPlayerExtra/Metadata.pm line 240.
    [09-12-17 19:09:38.0895] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1164) Warning: [19:09:38.0888] Use of uninitialized value in string ne at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Squeezebox\Cache\InstalledPlugins/Plugins/BBCiPlayerExtra/Metadata.pm line 255.
    [09-12-17 19:09:38.0906] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1164) Warning: [19:09:38.0899] Use of uninitialized value in string ne at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Squeezebox\Cache\InstalledPlugins/Plugins/BBCiPlayerExtra/Metadata.pm line 255.
    LMS Version: 7.9
    TranquilPC T2-WHS-A3 - WHS 2011
    2x Touch, 3x SB3

I didn't explicitly mention the "now & next" because the BBC site which provide the "Now & Next" info was offline for the past few days and I wasn't sure if it had been retired.

However it came back today and it has shown up a bug so I need to post a v1.01 later today.

Ah, I got so used to seeing the program info displayed in the past - so ticked the option.

I've un-ticked it for now.
    2x Touch, 3x SB3

I've posted V1.1 now. This now has a working "Now & Next" for BBC Live National WMA stations R1, R2, R3, R4FM (not R4LW), 5Live, 6Music, BBC7 and World Service.

When you change the "Now & Next" setting you have to reboot SBS for the change to take effect as I was worried there might be a clash with another metadata provider.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    I've posted V1.1 now. This now has a working "Now & Next" for BBC Live National WMA stations R1, R2, R3, R4FM (not R4LW), 5Live, 6Music, BBC7 and World Service.

When you change the "Now & Next" setting you have to reboot SBS for the change to take effect as I was worried there might be a clash with another metadata provider.
    Works OK.

Again, thank you for the plug-in
    2x Touch, 3x SB3

Bpa:

Just want to drop a quick note of thanks for the Extra plugin. This was exactly what i was looking for as I have been trying to locate the WorldService Newshour programme in the iPlayer plugin to no avail.

Am still testing it but i find the Schedule to favorite feature very handy.

Fantastic piece of work bpa! A-Z I'm finding very useful as Adam & Joe (Radio 6) are at the top.

I'm slightly confused how the programme schedule should work on the Controller or SqueezePlay.

On an SB3 you can drill down to programme description by keep going 'right'

On a controller, for example, if you try to drill down it will automatically play any programme that is available.
    Most of the time I'm just browsing and wouldn't want to play a selected programme just get more info.

Is there an 'info-only' keypress?
    or should the play button be used to play a selection instead of the centre button?
    2x Touch, 3x SB3

I use the standard button control of the device.

What you are describing, the difference in "go right"/"play" behaviour between SB3 and controller, is deliberate. It has been discussed many times in beta but the decision was not changed.

I think the current implementation is inconsistent and confusing but I can only use what is supplied. I have logged a bug on one aspect of this but nothing has happened.

The only help I can suggest is
    * don't press center button on an item with no chevron ">" at the end as it is a playable item and will play.

* if there is a chevron ">" at the end of an item try pressing "+" (more) button - this will give a menu which includes a description. However the "more" button does not work on a playable item and you cannot get the "description" info from more when an item is playing !!