Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Power switch almost always cuts power closest to the main power inlet usually just after the main fuse. This is the same as pulling the plug and any spikes that may happen from pulling the plug would occur from a switch. If the power switch is further behind components such as a transformer you will be consuming power plus in the case of a transformer you WANT to switch the power before the transformer to use the transformer as a slow start.

Requiring 0W standby mode IMHO is plain dumb, because what will happen is people will just not turn the device off because the penalty to turn it on is too high. People who are concerned about consumption can easily obtain that goal by adding a switch to your device such as a switch extension cord.

Now encouraging companies to reduce their standby consumption in order to get a "GREEN" tag is IMHO a better way to handle the situation.

As for devices with power bricks like the SB3 even if you had a power switch ON the SB3 it would still consume power in the power brick itself and you would need to switch or unplug the power brick. Even if you unplug the brick from the SB3 but still leave the brick plugged in you will consume power.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Meyer View Post
    >If you do then you fall into a very small community of people.[/color]
    I don't think so - I think a lot of people physically turn off devices at night or if they are going to be out for long periods.

Phil
    Many standby devices are consuming less than 1W, this hardly qualifies as something that could be a heater! Plus fire risk is just as high with a device plugged in and truly OFF as one plugged in and in standby. The OFF device could have a faulty switch which do wear out MUCH faster than soft-switches with relays.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Meyer View Post
    In July 2008, the European Commission accepted a proposal to reduce standby power consumption to either 1 W (if there is a reactivation function) or 2 W (if there is an information or status display) by 2010...
    Squeezebox devices don't achieve any of these requirements, so I think Logitech are breaking European laws.
    Radio meets EC1275, as does Controller. Touch appears to with its default settings (showing the clock screen when off; with "screen dark" when off it does not). None of the "IP3K" players meet the new EU standards.
    http://www.tux.org/~peterw/
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend time on the forums.
    Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
    FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
    SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

Quote Originally Posted by peterw View Post
    Radio meets EC1275, as does Controller. Touch appears to with its default settings (showing the clock screen when off; with "screen dark" when off it does not). None of the "IP3K" players meet the new EU standards.
    So you are saying the "screen off" screensaver takes more power than the "digital clock" screensaver? Now THAT is interesting. The only way I could come up with that might cause that is screen off turns off the backlight but leaves the now playing screen active, and if there are long names that need scrolling the processor might still be doing a fair amount of processing.

John S.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSwenson View Post
    So you are saying the "screen off" screensaver takes more power than the "digital clock" screensaver? Now THAT is interesting. The only way I could come up with that might cause that is screen off turns off the backlight but leaves the now playing screen active, and if there are long names that need scrolling the processor might still be doing a fair amount of processing.

John S.
    No I think the issue is that they have different requirements for power depending on if the device has an off state with an Info Display such as a clock. So what that tells me is that when the Touch is in the standby mode with no display shown it is not saving ENOUGH power to meet the non-information power requirement.

Edit: Also what this shows is how difficult and confusing things get when big govt steps in to "make things better"!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSwenson View Post
    So you are saying the "screen off" screensaver takes more power than the "digital clock" screensaver?
    Nope. Touch when in standby consumes about 2W ** regardless of the display setting, which is allowed of devices that have info displays, but not of devices with no info display. It almost certainly consumes a little less power with screen dark, but the EU directive in this case gives Logitech incentive to ship with default settings that consume more power. :-)

-Peter

** My cheap consumer AC power meter measures true RMS, but rounds to the nearest watt, as it was intended for measuring stuff like the power draw of a refrigerator. Looking at the Amp, Volt, and Power Factor numbers Touch draws about 2.16 Watts RMS, but again my meter is a cheap consumer unit, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's reading 10% high with a device like Touch that doesn't even draw 0.05 amps.
    http://www.tux.org/~peterw/
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend time on the forums.
    Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
    FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
    SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

Quote Originally Posted by peterw View Post
    Nope. Touch when in standby consumes about 2W ** regardless of the display setting, which is allowed of devices that have info displays, but not of devices with no info display. It almost certainly consumes a little less power with screen dark, but the EU directive in this case gives Logitech incentive to ship with default settings that consume more power. :-)

-Peter
    Got it, that makes more sense, a clock has a different rule than a blank screen.

John S,

Touch start up time?

>Radio meets EC1275, as does Controller. Touch appears to with its
    >default settings (showing the clock screen when off; with "screen dark"
    >when off it does not). None of the "IP3K" players meet the new EU
    >standards.
    >

I thought I had read that Touch was consuming too much, but that more could be done to reduce it. That was early days in beta testing though, so maybe improvements have been made to switch off unnecessary components in soft-off mode.

Or maybe I'm confusing the discussion with Boom beta testing.