Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: SPDIF is evil

Archaeology?

Quote Originally Posted by arnyk View Post
    False claim. One reason why digital signalling is so valuable is that the digital signal can often be purified by means of regeneration. For example when it is read off the disc, the digital data stream that is read from optical disks is highly jittery, and often has errors. These are generally perfectly removed by the normal functioning of a standard optical disc player.
    Hi Arny!

I'm fascinated to notice that you've suddenly popped up over here. It's actually quite spooky but disregarding that, are any of the members who previously posted on this thread still active on the forum?

I recall that somewhere in the Good Book (which I read once in my youth for completeness) it says "there is nothing new under the sun". It seems that a lot of people were using external DACs & the word clock in on the TP back in the day, although no-one seems to have conducted any kind of rigorous testing of the ABX kind. It was interesting to find Sean Adams description of how he derived the quoted measurements for the TP. There didn't appear to be much consensus amongst the earlier posters as to which kind of lab measurements would be useful in the context of external DACs and digital connections...

I believe that your position on this remains that it shouldn't make an audible difference because the TP's internal jitter is low enough to be inaudible & similarly that its in-built DAC is good enough to be indistinguishable from an external DAC in terms of discernible audible differences in a domestic listening environment with real ears, despite the possibility that minute measurable differences might be detected in lab testing. That's if I've understood your "reliable subjectivist" concept correctly. Please put me right if I've got any of this wrong, I'm not prÚcising your early statements in my own words to irritate you but simply to ensure that I've fully got your drift.

On the other thread (which has been getting a bit silly, I must shoulder my share of the blame for that!) you commented that you should perhaps write up something on the (or your, I wasn't quite sure) theory of audible perception in homo sapiens. With my deadly serious face on for once, I should be most interested to read that.

Hope that you're having a pleasant weekend!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Earring View Post
    Hi Arny!

I'm fascinated to notice that you've suddenly popped up over here. It's actually quite spooky but disregarding that, are any of the members who previously posted on this thread still active on the forum?

I recall that somewhere in the Good Book (which I read once in my youth for completeness) it says "there is nothing new under the sun".
    Umm yes, Ecclesiastes.

It seems that a lot of people were using external DACs & the word clock in on the TP back in the day, although no-one seems to have conducted any kind of rigorous testing of the ABX kind. It was interesting to find Sean Adams description of how he derived the quoted measurements for the TP. There didn't appear to be much consensus amongst the earlier posters as to which kind of lab measurements would be useful in the context of external DACs and digital connections...
    If you follow the relevant scientific argument that a DAC can only have 4 kinds of technical problems, all of which are readily measurable and for whom we know quite a bit about the audible thresholds...

I believe that your position on this remains that it shouldn't make an audible difference because the TP's internal jitter is low enough to be inaudible & similarly that its in-built DAC is good enough to be indistinguishable from an external DAC in terms of discernible audible differences in a domestic listening environment with real ears, despite the possibility that minute measurable differences might be detected in lab testing. That's if I've understood your "reliable subjectivist" concept correctly. Please put me right if I've got any of this wrong, I'm not prÚcising your early statements in my own words to irritate you but simply to ensure that I've fully got your drift.
    Confirmed.

The TP's internal DAC was tested pretty comprehensively by Archimago in his blog. If I ever get around to writing that article about understanding technical measurements in terms of sound quality, the executive summary can be expected to say that the TP is vast overkill. Of course people say they sound different, but as you say good listening tests confirming that are harder to find than rooster teeth.

There are 400 or more different makes and models of audio DACs, each selling to Audiophiles on the grounds of "Better sound". Technically, there aren't that many significantly different designs. The vast majority are based on less than 20 different DAC chips with just a few using proprietary parts. Almost all of those chips are very good and can't be logically expected to audibly change the sound of music conveyed by the analog signals they output. People hoot and holler about differences in power supplies and buffers, but they are even less likely to affect sound quality.
    Last edited by arnyk; 2017-05-14 at 06:51.

Roger that!

Quote Originally Posted by arnyk View Post
    Umm yes, Ecclesiastes.

If you follow the relevant scientific argument that a DAC can only have 4 kinds of technical problems, all of which are readily measurable and for whom we know quite a bit about the audible thresholds...

Confirmed.

The TP's internal DAC was tested pretty comprehensively by Archimago in his blog. If I ever get around to writing that article about understanding technical measurements in terms of sound quality, the executive summary can be expected to say that the TP is vast overkill. Of course people say they sound different, but as you say good listening tests confirming that are harder to find than rooster teeth.

There are 400 or more different makes and models of audio DACs, each selling to Audiophiles on the grounds of "Better sound". Technically, there aren't that many significantly different designs. The vast majority are based on less than 20 different DAC chips with just a few using proprietary parts. Almost all of those chips are very good and can't be logically expected to audibly change the sound of music conveyed by the analog signals they output. People hoot and holler about differences in power supplies and buffers, but they are even less likely to affect sound quality.
    Hi Arny,

Thanks for your prompt & helpful response.

At least I for one appear to have bothered to actually ingest your posts!

Relaxing into the music now (Emmylou Harris + Mark Knopfler today, All The Roadrunning + live tour album) then heading into highlights of Spanish GP. Alonso managed to put his hopelessly underpowered McLaren-Honda in 7th on the grid. He's looking like a good prospect for the Indy 500...

All the best,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Earring View Post
    Relaxing into the music now (Emmylou Harris + Mark Knopfler today, All The Roadrunning
    That's exactly what I was doing yesterday, appreciating the technology uncritically with one of my favorite albums.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)