Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Slimp3 plays at half speed?

Hello all,

I recently acquired a slimp3 unit (one of the early, caseless ones with the Sony remote) - it powers up, grabs a DCHP address & connects to a server without any issues, but seems to play everything (mp3 files & radio streams) at the wrong speed - akin to playing a 78 rpm record at 33 1/3 rpm (for those that remember vinyl & 78's). Other functions like clock display & keeping time are OK - it's only audio playback that seems to be affected.

I've searched this forum & the web to see if this issue has been been noted before, but failed to find anything - does anyone here have any ideas what might be wrong?

So far, I've tried a 6.2 server & the current 7.4.1 server with the same results.

Thanks in advance for any insight folks may have!

What files are you playing? Are they MP3? Anything else will be transcoded to MP3 by the server for playback as the SliMP3 only supports MP3.

Are the files anything other than 16bit 44.1khz? this could have an effect on playback speed.

[Project Log] Funkstars Digital Lifestyle - HEXUS.Community

In use: 1x Touch, 1x Boom, 2x SB3, 1x Controller
    In a box: 1x Radio, 1x (Beta) Controller, 1x Receiver, 1x SB2 wired (silver), 1x SB (black), 1x SliMP3 (with rear shield)

If you have any others, let me know, I'm interested!!

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    What files are you playing? Are they MP3? Anything else will be transcoded to MP3 by the server for playback as the SliMP3 only supports MP3.

Are the files anything other than 16bit 44.1khz? this could have an effect on playback speed.
    Just various mp3 files from my collection & radio streams offered by slimserver. Everything is 44.1khz, but I'm not sure what you mean by 16 bit in terms of an mp3? I've played files with both VBR & CBR settings between 128kbps-320kbps & also tried setting bitrate limiting down to the lowest setting of 64kbps, but everything still plays s-l-o-w-l-y.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrunning View Post
    Just various mp3 files from my collection & radio streams offered by slimserver. Everything is 44.1khz, but I'm not sure what you mean by 16 bit in terms of an mp3? I've played files with both VBR & CBR settings between 128kbps-320kbps & also tried setting bitrate limiting down to the lowest setting of 64kbps, but everything still plays s-l-o-w-l-y.
    By 16bit I was referring to the resolution of the audio, I think it safe to assume all the material you are playing is 16bit.

I'm really not sure what else to suggest. If you have tried bitrate limiting, then Squeezebox Server should be sending the correct stream format to the player.

I don't know if there is a way to force a firmware reset on the SliMP3 like there is on newer players.

[Project Log] Funkstars Digital Lifestyle - HEXUS.Community

In use: 1x Touch, 1x Boom, 2x SB3, 1x Controller
    In a box: 1x Radio, 1x (Beta) Controller, 1x Receiver, 1x SB2 wired (silver), 1x SB (black), 1x SliMP3 (with rear shield)

If you have any others, let me know, I'm interested!!

I'm having a similar issues with a SliMP3 player that i just acquired from eBay. The player seems to work fine (I updated the firmware to 2.3) it boots up, can browse through my media collection served by Squeezebox server 7.4.1 - r28947 but when I try to play anything, an MP3 file on my system, a Pandora station or a SB server station I get a strange audio artifacting/ oscilating distortion that sounds as if there's a bit-rate error or something. If I sync my receiver or a soft squeeze player to the SliMP3 everything plays fine through these units.
    I'm wondering, did I get a bad player, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

I encounter the same issue with a squeezebox (v1) and any version of slimserver/squeezeboxserver I have tried (7.4, 7.2, 6.5, 6.0) (on different computers running OSX, XP, Vista and Debian)

The issue started when I upgraded from 6 to 7 and has never disappeared since.

Has anyone more information on this issue?
    If not, what would be the proper way to debug this?

(is there a HOWTO on setting up a development environment for squeezeboxserver development?)

I wouldn't normally resurrect a thread this old, but after nearly 4 years of having my SLIMP3 sitting idle in a cupboard, I dug it out once more & managed to identify the cause of it's slow playback speed - figured others may find the info useful.

The clue was from this post from Slim Devices' own Sean Adams, back in 2003 which mentioned dry joints as a possible cause.

I'd originally looked over my slimp3 & not found any obvious problems, but after a closer inspection (with a big magnifying glass), I found that 2 pins on what I guess is a timing oscillator chip were indeed lifted away from the board - I was able to verify this as the cause by temporarily using a small piece of foam to gently push down on the chip to reconnect the pins - hey presto, the playback speed is now correct. I'll solder a more permanent fix later. See the attached image for the location of the lifted pins.

Name:  slimp3_dry_joint_note_s.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  49.8 KB