Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: why no NPR App?

why no NPR App?

the npr plugin on the server side is absolutely brilliant. i can listen to any story on morning edition, all things considered, fresh air and other programs without having to fast forward through a podcast.

as far as i can tell, this option doesn't currently exist on mysb.com. any chance that it can be added as an app?

as it stands now, i have to subscribe to npr podcasts to listen to my shows on the mysb.com side and it's nowhere near as convenient.

It's no App, but a few ways to get various NPR feeds on MySB:

On the Remote Control UI or from your player's menu:
    RadioTime > Search > NPR
    RadioTime> Talk > Public/NPR
    Internet Radio > Talk > Public/NPR

MrSinatra
    npr = national proletariat radio?

as far as i can tell, this option doesn't currently exist on mysb.com. any chance that it can be added as an app?
    I think it is unlikely as the plugin does a lot of HTTP Gets and processing which would not be good for the MySB servers.

I think the problem lies with NPR who should produce a playlist of the WMA streams for each of the programs as well as the Flash/AAC and podcasts. There may be a better/alternative solution but I haven't looked at current NPR website in detail as present solution works for me.

thanks toby10 for the options but do you know how to make any of those options a favorite? for the life of me, i can't figure out how to add recent episodes of fresh air as a favorite after finding it in the internet radio search.

while on the subject, if logitech really wants mysb.com to be robust then they need to emulate what exists already on the server side. i find that the server side plugins really make the squeezebox experience worthwhile. currently, mysb.com is very lean in what it offers and it's nowhere near as developed as the server.

Can't help you with recent episodes to Favorites on MySB. I'd guess each episode is a unique link so you would only be adding a single episode to Favorites.

The local server will always be much more robust with more features and options than you will get on MySB (as good as it is). To be fair the list of SC/SBS advantages over using SN/MySB is a much smaller list than just a year ago.

SC/SBS7 advantages over MySB.com for Internet Radio and Music Services usage:
    + SC can use Music Information Screen
    + SC offers immediate access to your local music library
    + SC includes Favorites folders and sub-folders for station favorites, all editable and movable (MySB has no folders)
    + SC has much more screen configuration customizing
    + SC has a larger UI
    + SC has MUCH better Playlist configuration, control, editing, saving, use multiple playlists (MySB Playlist control limited to SB player, no UI interface for Playlist, only one Playlist instance, Playlist lost on disconnect)
    + SC has a better menu layout for Internet Radio
    + SC has logging for stream error diagnosis (MySB has no logging)
    + SC has better player sync (MySB can have lag and drift, and has limited sync options)
    + SC can sync most Music Services to multiple players (MySB can’t use multiple players for some Music Services)
    + SC has Direct tune in URL via web UI (MySB requires this be done by creating and saving as a Favorite before tuning)
    + SC allows for third party plugins (not available on MySB)
    + SC does not require “player PIN” registration (this is being eliminated on MySB, not sure where it stands now)
    + no FW update conflicts switching between SC and MySB

Obviously MySB's big advantage over SC/SBS is not needing your computer turned on (or even needing a computer at all).

MrSinatra
    maybe i missed it in your list toby, but another SBS advantage is you can force it to "proxy" a stream, which is far more robust for net radio.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
    maybe i missed it in your list toby, but another SBS advantage is you can force it to "proxy" a stream, which is far more robust for net radio.
    Thanks. I'll add it (although I have no clue what it means).

MrSinatra
    i'll take a stab at explaining it but corrections are welcome...

as i understand it, the "default" position of a SB using SBS for net radio is to allow SBS to "start" the connection, but then the SB takes it over and handles it directly.

however, there is a function/setting in SBS that allows you to force SBS to receive the stream, then send it to the SB. ergo "proxy"

btw, thats the ONLY way it is done when two SB's are sync'd, but if u have net radio dropouts and one one player, using the proxy setting can help.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    I think it is unlikely as the plugin does a lot of HTTP Gets and processing which would not be good for the MySB servers.

I think the problem lies with NPR who should produce a playlist of the WMA streams for each of the programs as well as the Flash/AAC and podcasts. There may be a better/alternative solution but I haven't looked at current NPR website in detail as present solution works for me.
    Part of the problem here is due to the structure of NPR. It's a membership organization and, though they have a large endowment now, it still gets the majority of it's annual funding from the member stations. Small, po-dunk stations in the middle of Nebraska or somesuch place pay really hefty fees to 'purchase' All Things Considered, etc. NPR really can't put itself in the position of 'competing' with the local member stations by offering direct feeds of whole programs. At least not until the funding structure changes. Personally, I think that's inevitable, but it probably won't happen for years and years. I think FM will have to die first. But since the local stations run the show (NPR's board, according to its bylaws, has to include 10 managers of local stations...who are elected to their positions by all the member stations. Since NPR's board has 17 positions, this puts the local stations in charge.)...I'm guessing that NPR will be very slow to change.

If you look at NPR's native iPhone app, it steers the user to feeds from local stations for the national shows. Thus, even though you'll be listening to Fresh Air from WHYY in Philly, you may get the Chicago station WBEZ's logo displaying on your iPhone and you'll hear all the WBEZ chatter during the breaks.

But presumably, a NPR mysqueezebox.com "app" could operate the same way and even feed off the same dataset as the iPhone NPR app.