Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ReadyNAS setup from scratch

Bit of a long shot this, but does there exist anywhere a step-by-step set of instructions for how to set up a Squeezebox Duet to work with a ReadyNAS Duo? I have both and have managed to get it working when my PC is on, but not with the PC off and just the ReadyNAS on, and after many hours of fiddling about I'm keen to scrap everything so far and start again from the off.

I assume it should be possible to turn on the ReadyNAS, turn on the Duet, and have one communicate with the other, but nothing I do makes that happen unless I turn the PC on as well (and yes, the NAS is plugged into the router via ethernet and the wireless internet connection is fine).

Is the Duet connecting to the NAS or the PC when it DOES connect?

Sounds like you may have SqueezeCenter software installed on your PC. It should be installed on the ReadyNAS.

This write up will get SqueezeCenter up and running on the ReadyNAS:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...er_on_ReadyNAS

IF the Duet was connecting to the Squeezecenter running on your PC - you may need to reset the receiver to force it to rediscover the Squeezecenter on the ReadyNAS:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...Reset_commands

Make sure that you have ONE instance of Squeezecenter running at any one time - and that it's running on the machine that you wish to have the Duet connect to...

IF you already have Squeezecenter up and running on the ReadyNAS - turn off your PC and do the (Duet) receiver reset and see if you can then setup your Duet gear to connect to the ReadyNAS.
    Jim
    Last edited by usbethjim; 2009-10-17 at 07:18. Reason: incomplete
    All wireless (Linksys WRT54GS) except NAS (ReadyNAS PRO - 3GB RAM - 5 X 1TB drives - XRAID2 - LMS 7.8.1 )
    Squeezebox Boom - Anywhere with an AC outlet
    Squeezebox (SlimDevices) SB3 - Fii0 D3 - Bose Radio - Kitchen
    Squeezebox Touch > Hafler 100 preamp > Hafler DH-220 amp > Sima SSW-L6 EX Speaker selector= Polk Audio Monitor 70 Series II - Living Room, Definitive Tech ProMonitor 100 - Dining Room, Infinity US-1 - Porch
    Ipeng 7 on an iPad controls everything!

Thanks Jim, that makes sense, but I'm no closer to fixing it. I have removed SqueezeCenter from the PC, and made sure it is enabled on the NAS. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the Duet (after a factory reset) to see the NAS. What menu option do I choose on the controller to get this to happen? In the Networking area it will let me add a Remote library, but by IP address only, and as the NAS is not set up on a static IP address I can't see how this will work unless I want to reconnect to it every time like that. (edit: even putting in the NAS's current IP address into that remote libraries menu doesn't work, "Can't connect to library").

In another strange development, the PC refuses to access the NAS any way other than via RAIDar (it can see it in Windows Explorer, but won't allow me to access the files on it), and yet the wife's laptop on the same network sees the NAS fine and can access the files on it without RAIDar.

All firewalls etc are disabled by the way.
    Last edited by cidlockie; 2009-10-18 at 03:43.

Quote Originally Posted by usbethjim View Post
    Make sure that you have ONE instance of Squeezecenter running at any one time - and that it's running on the machine that you wish to have the Duet connect to...
    Why?

There's absolutely no problem at all having several SC/SBS instances running on the same network, even if one's running on a ReadyNAS and a Duet is concerned.
    At set up time, the Controller will just ask you which server you want to connect to, and you'll be able to go back and forth servers at any time later...

You can blindly trust me, I'm doing it for more than a year now...

Quote Originally Posted by cidlockie View Post
    I have removed SqueezeCenter from the PC, and made sure it is enabled on the NAS. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the Duet (after a factory reset) to see the NAS.
    Have you ever upgraded SqueezeCenter on your ReadyNAS?
    If my memories are good, early releases of RAIDiator (name of the ReadyNAS' firmware) shipping with the Duo came with a version of SqueezeCenter too old for being compatible with the Squeezebox Duet, and the main symptom was the Controller could neither see it, nor connect to it if you used the IP address.

My advice:
    - uninstall the actual SqueezeCenter addon version running on your Duo
    - upgrade RAIDiator to 4.1.6 (it ships with SqueezeCenter 7.3.2)
    - upgrade the SqueezeCenter addon to 7.3.3 (or the latest 7.4.1 nightly if you're feeling brave - but don't ever install the 7.4.0 addon)

and as the NAS is not set up on a static IP address.
    Either use a static IP address for you Duo or configure your DHCP server/router so that it'll always provide the same IP address to it, otherwise you'll encounter connectivity problems with your Duet when the DHCP server/router or NAS get rebooted.
    Last edited by sebp; 2009-10-18 at 05:45. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by sebp View Post
    My advice:
    - uninstall the actual SqueezeCenter addon version running on your Duo
    - upgrade RAIDiator to 4.1.6 (it ships with SqueezeCenter 7.3.2)
    - upgrade the SqueezeCenter addon to 7.3.3 (or the latest 7.4.1 nightly if you're feeling brave - but don't ever install the 7.4.0 addon)
    I have 4.1.6 firmware on the NAS, and I have 7.3.3 Squeezecenter installed on it (I followed the instructions here: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...er_on_ReadyNAS). I'm hesitant to install 7.4.1 until it's confirmed as stable.

Quote Originally Posted by sebp View Post
    Either use a static IP address for you Duo or configure your DHCP server/router so that it'll always provide the same IP address to it, otherwise you'll encounter connectivity problems with your Duet when the DHCP server/router or NAS get rebooted.
    Can you (or someone) explain to me how to set the NAS up with a static IP address? Do I do that in the ReadyNAS Frontview setup or in Windows?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by usbethjim
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Why?

There's absolutely no problem at all having several SC/SBS instances running on the same network, even if one's running on a ReadyNAS and a Duet is concerned.
    At set up time, the Controller will just ask you which server you want to connect to, and you'll be able to go back and forth servers at any time later...

You can blindly trust me, I'm doing it for more than a year now...
    ------------------------------------------------------

CORRECTION:

On a temporary basis, for the sake of simplicity and to aid in troubleshooting your problem - make sure that you have ONE instance of Squeezecenter running at any one time - and that it's running on the machine that you wish to have the Duet connect to...then try to fix your connection problem. Once you have the connection you wish to have working correctly - build on that knowledge and experience to add as many more connectible instances of SC/SBS that you need.

OK?
    Jim
    All wireless (Linksys WRT54GS) except NAS (ReadyNAS PRO - 3GB RAM - 5 X 1TB drives - XRAID2 - LMS 7.8.1 )
    Squeezebox Boom - Anywhere with an AC outlet
    Squeezebox (SlimDevices) SB3 - Fii0 D3 - Bose Radio - Kitchen
    Squeezebox Touch > Hafler 100 preamp > Hafler DH-220 amp > Sima SSW-L6 EX Speaker selector= Polk Audio Monitor 70 Series II - Living Room, Definitive Tech ProMonitor 100 - Dining Room, Infinity US-1 - Porch
    Ipeng 7 on an iPad controls everything!

I have 4.1.6 firmware and 7.3.3 SqueezeCenter installed already. I have, I think, managed to assign a static IP to the NAS in the router setup.

And still I cannot get the Duet controller to connect to the NAS. In which menu am I supposed to find it? Is there another way beyond putting in the IP address of the NAS to get the Duet to find it on the network? Can I not somehow choose the NAS from a list of devices on the network that the Duet auto-detects?

Quote Originally Posted by usbethjim View Post
    OK?
    Yes, Jim, much better.

And still I cannot get the Duet controller to connect to the NAS.
    Weird.

First, check that you're able to access the SqueezeCenter's web UI at http://ip.of.your.duo:9000/ (RAIDar will tell you what IP address the Duo's using).
    Then, check that your controller caught a correct IP address from your router (go to the Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics menu on the controller, it'll show you all of its networking information).
    Both devices should use proper IP network addresses (e.g. 192.168.0.x) and not auto-assigned 169.x.y.z addresses.

Aha, that's not working - I cannot connect to the SqueezeCenter web UI at http://192.168.0.199:9000. If that's likely to be my issue, how do I fix that? It gives me a "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error.

Follow these instructions: Clean Install of SqueezeCenter on ReadyNAS.
    The SqueezeCenter 7.3.3 addon is still available for download from there (get the "sparc" one for the Duo).