Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital EQ?

Digital EQ?

Hi

This is my first post on this forum...so please go easy on me!

I am interested in buying a Touch but have a few questions before I get too excited.

I plan to use the Touch as the main source for my HI-FI and I have recently built some full range floor standing speakers.

I would like to know if there is any control over EQ with the Touch. My speakers currently use an inductor and I would like to remove this and control the baffle step electronically.

Here is a section taken from the speaker designers website...

'Digital EQ: I do the EQ within the music player. Foobar2000 has a 1/2
    octave equalizer built in. The equalizers of both WMP and J. Rivers
    have fewer bands. I don't know about WinAMP or anything else. 1/2
    octave works OK, although I would like to see finer. It is reported to
    me the the J. Rivers EQ works well with the LT-2000/DX3 and tubes.

Digital EQ, indeed any EQ needs to be handled with finesse. Too much
    EQ will sound odd and fake. You will want to use the minimum amount of
    EQ to balance the speakers and the room to your ears. Anything over
    6dB is too much regardless of the particular problem. I spent the time
    to EQ the speakers flat with an SPL meter. The result was a dull
    recessed sound. The best way to start the EQ process is to set the
    sliders to the inverse of the speaker and then play with it using your
    favourite recordings until it sound right. '

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Richard

At present the SBTouch does not have any EQ controls. I don't know if it would be possible to add any in the firmware at a later date. There is a plugin (Inguz) that provides EQ and digital room correction. To use the Inguz plugin you would need to be running the server software (Squeezebox Server) on a separate computer, not on the SbS software that is built-in to the SBTouch, because the plugin requires more computing resources than the SBTouch has.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripmaster View Post
    Hi

This is my first post on this forum...so please go easy on me!

I am interested in buying a Touch but have a few questions before I get too excited.

I plan to use the Touch as the main source for my HI-FI and I have recently built some full range floor standing speakers.

I would like to know if there is any control over EQ with the Touch. My speakers currently use an inductor and I would like to remove this and control the baffle step electronically.

Here is a section taken from the speaker designers website...

'Digital EQ: I do the EQ within the music player. Foobar2000 has a 1/2
    octave equalizer built in. The equalizers of both WMP and J. Rivers
    have fewer bands. I don't know about WinAMP or anything else. 1/2
    octave works OK, although I would like to see finer. It is reported to
    me the the J. Rivers EQ works well with the LT-2000/DX3 and tubes.

Digital EQ, indeed any EQ needs to be handled with finesse. Too much
    EQ will sound odd and fake. You will want to use the minimum amount of
    EQ to balance the speakers and the room to your ears. Anything over
    6dB is too much regardless of the particular problem. I spent the time
    to EQ the speakers flat with an SPL meter. The result was a dull
    recessed sound. The best way to start the EQ process is to set the
    sliders to the inverse of the speaker and then play with it using your
    favourite recordings until it sound right. '

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Richard
    I think you will need the INGUZ plugin to do that sort of EQ
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Can you post more info on those speakers? I'm not sure what the inductor you're talking about is doing. Normally I see inductors used as low pass filters in a crossover network. I don't think this could be done correctly with a single amplifier. You would need a bi-amp setup and the EQ work being done at the amplifier stage for the woofer.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperQ View Post
    Can you post more info on those speakers? I'm not sure what the inductor you're talking about is doing. Normally I see inductors used as low pass filters in a crossover network. I don't think this could be done correctly with a single amplifier. You would need a bi-amp setup and the EQ work being done at the amplifier stage for the woofer.
    Hi SuperQ

Its in fact a SuperQ iron core inductor

http://www.parts-express.com/iron-co...tors-index.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    At present the SBTouch does not have any EQ controls. I don't know if it would be possible to add any in the firmware at a later date. There is a plugin (Inguz) that provides EQ and digital room correction. To use the Inguz plugin you would need to be running the server software (Squeezebox Server) on a separate computer, not on the SbS software that is built-in to the SBTouch, because the plugin requires more computing resources than the SBTouch has.
    Thanks for the Inguz recommendation, it looks like great software. I have been thinking about making a measurement mic for a while, and it will be nice to see how close my speakers are to the designers spec.

Its a shame the Touch needs to be connected to a PC, it kinda defeats the point in my case.

Thanks

Richard

Thanks for the Inguz recommendation, it looks like great software. I have been thinking about making a measurement mic for a while, and it will be nice to see how close my speakers are to the designers spec.

Its a shame the Touch needs to be connected to a PC, it kinda defeats the point in my case.
    You're welcome. Please note that in general the SB Touch does not need to be connected to a PC. It can run the server software on its own. However, the Inguz is by far the most resource-demanding plugin available for the SB, and needs a sufficiently powerful PC to run it. Putting that kind of computing power in the SBT would drive up the cost, size, and noise of the SBT considerably, for a plugin that only a small percentage of users would ever use. You can have Inguz, or you can have PC-less operation, but you can't have both.

EDIT: Also note that if you use Inguz, the pc doesn't need to be anywhere near the SBT. It just has to be somewhere on your home network. Plenty of people stick the pc in a closet, basement, or utility room. You're probably aware of this, but thought I'd mention it just in case.
    Last edited by aubuti; 2009-10-13 at 14:50.

Unfortunately the Inguz plugin isn't currently functional with the 7.4.x release of Squeezebox Server.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=68618

Hi SuperQ

Its in fact a SuperQ iron core inductor

http://www.parts-express.com/iron-co...tors-index.cfm

What I really wanted was the link to the speaker designer's site.

From what what you describe in your diagram you are using the inductor as a crossover filter. I'm fairly sure no digital EQ would work in this situation.

I really need a full source to speaker design from the original site.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by SuperQ View Post
    What I really wanted was the link to the speaker designer's site.

From what what you describe in your diagram you are using the inductor as a crossover filter. I'm fairly sure no digital EQ would work in this situation.

I really need a full source to speaker design from the original site.
    Hi Sorry for the delay, I haven't visited the forum for a while...but I am please to say I have pre-ordered a Touch

Here is the link to the speaker site

http://www.geocities.com/rbrines1/

If I used digital EQ I would remove the inductor from the speakers

Regards

Richard