Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flattermann
    • Oct 2009

[ANNOUNCE] SqueezeCommander 0.9 for Android

Today, I'm happy to present you the first release of SqueezeCommander!

SqueezeCommander is a new Android Remote Control app for your SqueezeBoxes.
    I've tried all available SqueezeBox apps on the Android market, but I was not really happy with them.

So, I've finally decided to write my own! :-)

SqueezeCommander is now available on Android Market.

Furthermore, it is also available on SlideME.org: http://slideme.org/application/squeeze-commander

For more details and screenshots, please take a look at the announcement: http://www.squeezecommander.com

I hope you'll like it. Have a lot of fun!

Key Features:
    * Automatical Server Discovery
    * Support for password protected SqueezeBoxServers
    * Now Playing screen with Artwork
    * Fast incremental library browse
    * Fast library search
    * Music download to SD card
    * Internet radio browse
    * Multi-Player and Multi-Server support (inspired by iPeng :-) )
    * MySqueezeBox.com support
    * Active development

=== Automatical Server Discovery ===

When you start SqueezeCommander it searches for SqueezeBoxServers in your local network and automatically establishes a connection to the first available server.

If the auto-discovery fails, you can of course also enter a server manually.

=== Support for password protected SqueezeBoxServers ===

SqueezeCommander supports password protected SqueezeBoxServers to improve security.

=== Now Playing screen with Artwork ===

If you are connected to a Server and a Player, you will be redirected to the Now Playing screen. This screen is the main view of SqueezeCommander. It shows informations about the current song and the artwork if available.

=== Fast incremental library browse ===

SqueezeCommander is created with large music libraries in mind. It uses a fast incremental library search, that should not slow down or block the User Interface while browsing your library.

Furthermore, all library lists show a “FastScroll” area on the right to scroll very fast through long lists (instead of “flinging” the screen many, many times).

=== Fast library search ===

You can search your library by Artist, by Album, by Track and so on. For large Libraries, that would be hard work for your little mobile, therefore SqueezeCommander delegates this task to the SqueezeBoxServer for a pretty fast library search.

=== Music download to SD card ===

Never leave your home without music!

You can now select single tracks, whole albums or even whole artists and download them to your mobile’s SD card. After the download, they’ll show up in your favorite Android music player app.

=== Internet radio browse ===

You can browse through all radio stations around the world picked by the SqueezBox staff.

Of course, you can also enter a custom Radio URL.

=== Multi-Player and Multi-Server support ===

SqueezCommander supports multiple player and multiple servers.

The servers can be arranged in Sync Groups to play the same songs. You can switch a player (or a complete Sync Group) to another server or to MySqueezeBox.com.

=== MySqueezeBox.com support ===

You can switch your players to MySqueezeBox.com and control them independently from your local SqueezeBoxServer. So you don’t need to have your Server powered up 24/7 but you can still listen to your favourite Internet Radio.

=== Active development ===

This is a very active project, so if you’ve found a bug or want to make a request for enhancement, please open a ticket in my Bug Tracker.

I’m eager to squeeze existing bugs and implement new features, so please take the chance and open a ticket. :-)

Last edited by flattermann; 2009-10-26, 14:09.
    Christian

Home of SqueezeCommander - The SqueezeBox Remote Control App for Android
  • Muggy
    • Nov 2005

Great work, I've been waiting for something like this for a while. I'll give it a go and report back.

Comment

• Muggy
      • Nov 2005

I've had a brief play around with this now, first impressions are that it is great. Does all the basics very well and is well suited to controlling multiple players. I look forward to seeing how the app develops in future - if you need a beta tester I'd be happy to help out.

Comment

• flattermann
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Muggy
        I've had a brief play around with this now, first impressions are that it is great. Does all the basics very well and is well suited to controlling multiple players. I look forward to seeing how the app develops in future - if you need a beta tester I'd be happy to help out.
        Good to hear that you like it!

I would be happy to have you as a beta tester!
        Please sign up at my tracker http://sqcmdr.flattermann.net/trac and send me a short mail to sqcmdr (AT) flattermann (DOT) net.

If you have any ideas for new features or you've found a bug, please open a ticket in the tracker, so that I cannot forget your request anymore. ;-)

The app seems to be pretty stable (at least, I only got a single CrashReport until now, see http://sqcmdr.flattermann.net/trac/ticket/5).
        It was my biggest concern that the app may not be 100% stable on some devices, because I did not have a large beta test with different Android models.

After fixing this (rare) bug, I'll spend my time on new features.
        I've already added some ideas to the tracker: http://sqcmdr.flattermann.net/trac/report/1.
        Feel free to comment the tickets...

Best regards,
        Christian
        Last edited by flattermann; 2009-10-09, 10:49.
        Christian

Comment

• flattermann
          • Oct 2009

I'm happy to present you SqueezeCommander 0.9.1.

It is now available in Android Market.

This is a bug fix release.

Issues fixed:
          * SqCmdr may crash with OutOfMemory when loading Artwork under certain circumstances (See #5)
          * Android 1.6 only: SqCmdr will crash when changing the Music Source of a player (See #10)
          * SqCmdr uses the wrong cache directory on SD card (See #12)
          * You may (optionally) add your email to CrashReports (See #11)

You may see details of these issues in the Bug Tracker, http://sqcmdr.flattermann.net/trac.

Have a lot of fun!
          Christian

Comment

• flattermann
            • Oct 2009

Searching for Beta testers

I'm currently searching for beta testers with the following configuration:

* T-Mobile G1 with Android 1.5
            * T-Mobile G1 with Android 1.6
            * Any other device with Android 1.6

If you have such a device and are interested in beta testing, please contact me at:
            sqcmdr (AT) flattermann (DOT) net

Please tell me your Phone Model and Android Version in the mail.

It would be helpful (but not essential) if you have used the Android Debugger (ADB) before.

What you should do as beta tester:
            Test new SqueezeCommander features / releases and tell me any bugs that you may encounter during the test.
            Christian

Comment

• superkonge
              • Oct 2009

Hi! I like the look of your program. The one that I use today is colourless and boring, but I live in Norway and we can't buy pay apps from android market. Can you put your program out on slideme.org too? Its like android market, but avaible for everyone and you get paid

Comment

• flattermann
                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by superkonge
                Hi! I like the look of your program. The one that I use today is colourless and boring, but I live in Norway and we can't buy pay apps from android market. Can you put your program out on slideme.org too? Its like android market, but avaible for everyone and you get paid
                Hello, superkonge!

Ok, I'll take a look at slideme.org and see what I can do!

Until then, you can become a SqueezeCommander beta tester, if you like.

If you are interested, please drop me a line at
                sqcmdr (AT) flattermann (DOT) net.

Best regards,
                Christian
                Christian

Comment

• flattermann
                  • Oct 2009

I’m happy to present you SqueezeCommander 0.9.2.

It is now available in Android Market.

This new version includes several new features and many bug fixes.

It includes support for playlists, favorites and apps.
                  You can now play/rename/delete playlists and favorites, but not yet save/edit playlists or add new favorites.

There is a new image view mode for Apps like flickr or the Queen photo gallery.

The connection to MySqueeezeBox.com or your local SqueezeBoxServer should be more reliable now.

New features:
                  * #1 Add playlists support
                  * #2 Add favorites support
                  * #3 Add Apps / Music Services support
                  * #22 Better support for images in radio / app items
                  * #8 Mute sound on call
                  * #21 Optionally keep the screen on
                  * #23 Change UI of the DownloadPage

Issues fixed:
                  * #9 Crash: Notify ListViews of changes in Adapter
                  * #20 Downloads can block in background
                  * #24 Text input / search does not work correctly for Radios / Apps
                  * #28 Avoid MySqueezeBox.com problem with Apps
                  * #29 Connection to MySqueezeBox.com asks for user credentials if '''any''' error occurs
                  * #14 Cover art is not correctly updated for Internet radio
                  * #17 Song position slider and total time does not update

You may see details of these issues in the Bug Tracker, http://www.squeezecommander.com/trac

Have a lot of fun!

Here are some screenshots of Flickr (1+2) and Napster (3+4):
                  Last edited by flattermann; 2009-10-26, 14:10.
                  Christian

Comment

• flattermann
                    • Oct 2009

I'm searching for 1 or 2 beta testers who are using a "G1" as Android phone.

If you are interested, please drop me a line at: sqcmdr (AT) flattermann (DOT) net
                    Christian

Comment

• flattermann
                      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by superkonge
                      As requested, SqueezeCommander is now also available on SlideME.org:
                      SqueezeCommander is the perfect remote control app for your Logitech Squeeze Boxes. Features: * Auto Server Discovery * Music download to SD card * PW protected SqueezeBoxServers * Fast incremental

Have fun!
                      Christian
                      Christian

Comment

• flattermann
                        • Oct 2009

Searching for Beta testers

Right now, I'm searching for new beta testers with these Android devices:

- HTC Tattoo
                        - Motorola Milestone

If you are interested, please contact me at
                        sqcmdr (AT) flattermann (DOT) net.
                        Christian

Comment

• testmatch
                          • Jun 2009

Hi,

Having tried the three free applications on the Android Market, I thought I'd try SqueezeCommander for 24 hours and decide if I wanted to keep it or get the purchase refunded. Within 30 minutes of playing with it I was hooked, and decided to keep it. It's a seriously impressive application and runs wonderfully on my HTC Magic with Android 1.6.

It takes a little while to get used to, but it's so fast and powerful that I felt I had to express my delight.

One thing that I'd like to see implemented is the option to have an icon in the notification area to quickly return to the application when it's running in the background. The free Squeezer has that, and is the only feature of the others that I miss so far.

With at least three free and two paid-for applications available for Android phones (and other devices), I think that means we Android & Squeezebox users have the widest choice of any operating system!

Someone should do a comparative review of the options available to us. I might have a go at that unless someone beats me to it in the next few weeks.

John

Comment

• flattermann
                            • Oct 2009

Next SqueezeCommander version

For your information:
                            After having a lot on my plate in the last weeks, I've got some free time now and I'm currently working on the next SqueezeCommander release.

The next version, 0.9.3, will primarily include better support for Android 1.6/2.x.
                            This version will now also work on HTC Tattoo.

Furthermore, I'd like to improve the support of the new Google Nexus One device.
                            If you own such a device, please drop me a line at
                            sqcmdr (AT) flattermann (DOT) net
                            so that I can send you a beta version of SqueezeCommander.

Stay tuned - and have a nice day!
                            Christian
                            Christian

Comment

• flattermann
                              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by testmatch
                              One thing that I'd like to see implemented is the option to have an icon in the notification area to quickly return to the application when it's running in the background. The free Squeezer has that, and is the only feature of the others that I miss so far.
                              The problem with the notification area is that this breaks a bit the Android specs, because you need a special QUIT button to make this work. (Otherwise, the app would always stay in the notification area)
                              But a QUIT button is not recommended in Android. You normally just "leave" the program (e.g. by pressing the HOME button) and it stays in the background until the memory is needed for another app.

But what about pressing the HOME key for a long time? :-)
                              This Android shortcut shows you a list of your recently used apps!
                              (I think this feature is very handy, but most people do not know it...)
                              Christian

Comment

Working...