Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 61 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 610 of 1001
  1. #601
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Northern Cal
    Posts
    793
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday View Post
    Squeezecommander works for me, just can't download flacs from the server so I'll keep using it until it doesn't work. Can't go back to an iPhone, now that I've tasted the Android Koolaid.
    Yeah, I just got one last month myself. The anticipation of doing so is what drew me to this thread, to figure out what to use.

    Even with the modest cost of Squeeze Commander, I can't in good conscience buy it to provide support for someone who seems to have just disappeared.

  2. #602
    Senior Member pippin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    11,915
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodsounds View Post
    I'd think there is market potential to the extent of all the new Droid sales each month. But I don't know for sure.
    Well, the problem is that Android users don't really buy Apps.
    If you look at the App market you will see that as of the NUMBER of Apps, Android is at least at par with iOS right now, however if you look at the App REVENUES, iOS Apps still hold like 90% of the market.

    Now add to that that there are actually free options available on Android, one of them from Logitech and you don't really get something that churns out enough money to make it your first priority in life...
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 8, the Universal App for iOS 7 and iOS 8

  3. #603
    Senior Member socistep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    Well, the problem is that Android users don't really buy Apps.
    If you look at the App market you will see that as of the NUMBER of Apps, Android is at least at par with iOS right now, however if you look at the App REVENUES, iOS Apps still hold like 90% of the market.

    Now add to that that there are actually free options available on Android, one of them from Logitech and you don't really get something that churns out enough money to make it your first priority in life...
    I disagree Pippin, this is a paid app, on Android marketplace it is showing that it has between 10,000 and 50,000 downloads and believe it cost £3. On that basis then the income could potentially be between £30,000 and £150,000 - obviously I don't know whether the developer gets 100% of the app fee and what costs there are to develop/maintain, you will probably know a lot more then me. However to me that is potentially a very good income from the application.

  4. #604
    Senior Member pippin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    11,915
    I believe I know the numbers and it's closer to 30.000£ than to 150.000£.
    Plus, a lot of that was BEFORE the Logitech App came out, these are the sales of several years!
    Google gets 30% and the tax man between 25% and 50% so do your math, how many years can you live off that?

    It's the same with iPeng. iPeng is still doing fine in comparison but it's at the brink of what justifies a full-scale effort. I would probably not start to develop it know if I didn't already have it, at least not for the money.

    Logitech keeps changing so much on the Squeezebox System that you can't just sit back and keep counting money.
    Last edited by pippin; 2011-10-04 at 07:16.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 8, the Universal App for iOS 7 and iOS 8

  5. #605
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    131
    If one was particularly cynical, one could construe Flatterman's single post on 9th August (#554), after an absence of 2 months, an attempt to lead people to believe he was back on the case; so encouraging any doubters to go ahead and purchase the app.

    I hope I am proved wrong.

  6. #606
    Senior Member pippin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    11,915
    I believe since most of the issues with the App are still more customer-service kind of issues than real technical issues with the App he would do himself a bad favor with that kind of strategy.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 8, the Universal App for iOS 7 and iOS 8

  7. #607
    Senior Member socistep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    I believe I know the numbers and it's closer to 30.000£ than to 150.000£.
    Plus, a lot of that was BEFORE the Logitech App came out.
    Google gets 30% and the tax man between 25% and 50% so do your math, how many years can you live off that?

    It's the same with iPeng. iPeng is still doing fine in comparison but it's at the brink of what justifies a full-scale effort. I would probably not start to develop it know if I didn't already have it.

    Logitech keeps changing so much on the Squeezebox System that you can't just sit back and keep counting money.
    Don't get me wrong I am not saying that it should be first priority, far from it, and hope everything is ok with Christian.

    The actual income % is very interesting so thanks for sharing. However at £30,000 less google amount and tax of 40% its still 13k (which is the bare minimum) which on top of main job, again still a decent amount to make - for then to communicate once in 5 months isn't great.

    There would be potential to make more money had this been supported well, an android tablet version would be very popular IMO - squeezecommander has the basis of a very good app but is buggy and unsupported in its current form for many users.

  8. #608
    Senior Member bluegaspode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    3,160
    Quote Originally Posted by socistep View Post
    on Android marketplace it is showing that it has between 10,000 and 50,000 downloads and believe it cost £3. On that basis then the income could potentially be between £30,000 and £150,000 - obviously I don't know whether the developer gets 100% of the app fee and what costs there are to develop/maintain
    Just to do the math correctly for the Google World:

    He had 5000 sales in April 2010 and 10.000 sales in Feb. 2011 (can be seen on other sites). So expect him to be at 14.000 right now. (Also expect that his daily sales will have drastically dropped since there is the free Logitech App).

    In Okt. 2009 he released the first version, so he is involved for 2 1/2 year with this project. Google takes 30% share, German income tax again around 30%. Social insurance contributions 20%.
    VAT shouldn't apply for him as I think he configured Google to add it to each purchase where applicable.
    Accountant to support his GmbH might be around 3000€ / year, purchasing some common test devices one needs for Android development will be 1000€.

    Even if we don't substract german taxes and social contributions and calculate it from his companies point of view:
    14.000*3€/2,5y*0,7 - 2y*3000€ - 1000€ = 4760€ / year = 400€ / month.

    Economically at common rates 400€ justify 4h of development or support per month, now much less due to the Logitech App.

    If he just paid it out to himself, he'd get around 200€ / month. People not working at all in Germany get around 700€ / month ("Hartz 4 + Wohngeld").
    ----

    Don't want to argue, if it's a good income or not.
    Everyone has to decide for himself, if it's a good decision to stick (or start) with Squeezebox App development as a hobby.
    At least one shouldn't try to found a company based on those numbers
    Last edited by bluegaspode; 2011-10-04 at 07:50. Reason: updated some company costs
    Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
    Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? Squeezebox + iPad = SqueezePad
    Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
    Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet

  9. #609
    Senior Member socistep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    I believe since most of the issues with the App are still more customer-service kind of issues than real technical issues with the App he would do himself a bad favor with that kind of strategy.
    For me its a technical issue, the app keeps disconnecting from the SB server, for some reason the only way to resolve is to toggle wifi on and off, I can't consistently use for longer then 15-30mins.

  10. #610
    Senior Member pippin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    11,915
    Quote Originally Posted by socistep View Post
    which on top of main job, again still a decent amount to make - for then to communicate once in 5 months isn't great.
    But that was my point. It has to be "on top of main job". So if you're in a situation where you have to decide what to focus on, an Android App business like that is not your first choice.

    There would be potential to make more money had this been supported well, an android tablet version would be very popular IMO - squeezecommander has the basis of a very good app but is buggy and unsupported in its current form for many users.
    I'm actually extremely skeptic about Android tablet business right now.
    Honeycomb tablet sales so far have been homeopathic and Amazon's Kindle Fire not being based on Honeycomb will not really help.
    I believe you'll have to focus on th lower end platforms and then we are back to square 1: Android customers don't want to pay for Apps.
    I don't think it's just the mere price, it's also the more complicated payment process compared with iOS and the fact that you have to enter credit card details on a mobile device (let alone the fact that paid Apps are still not available in all countries and on all devices).

    There's a reason even Rovio (the maker of Angry Birds) believe you can't make money with paid Apps on Android.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 8, the Universal App for iOS 7 and iOS 8

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •