I now need some advice...SB3 vs. SBtouch?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ikabob
    • Aug 2009

I recently purchased the SB3 and I still have 7 days of my 30 day return policy left. I really do like the SB3 and it works very well with my stereo. Now that the Touch is available I am tempted to return the SB3 in exchange for the Touch. I do like the extra features (card slot,USB port,). The touch features don't seem to be that important to me because I use the remote for the stereo control...or ipeng on my itouch(btw...will the touch be compatable with itouch ipeng?). Anyhow, I could return the SB3. I do have concerns for growing pains for a new product like the touch....bugs,etc. So, question: Should I exchange the SB3 for the new Touch...I do not need 2 boxes so, keeping both is out of the question. Any advice??? Thank you! I only have a few days for the decision. I love the Squeeze system! Oh...one more concern...since they are phasing out the SB3 will they still repair and service it after the warranty is over?
    Ikabob

Squeezebox Touch w/LMS V7.9; Benchmark DAC1 USB;Marantz Pre-amp; SAE Amplifier;ESS Heil Speakers(main listening speakers plus various additional speakers).
    Multiple players: SqueezeBooms,SqueezeRadios; SB3;
    Services:Rhapsody;Slacker;RadioTunes;Spotify (+Triode's Plugin);CalmRadio,Napster,
    Ipeng remote controller.
  • garym
    • May 2008

I can't answer your question, but I can confess that I originally thought that I needed only ONE player. Within one year, I'm now using 2 booms, 1 SB3, 1 SBR, and 1 transporter. All controlled from my iphone with iPeng.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• Ikabob
      • Aug 2009

thanks...yes, I understand how that can happen!
      Ikabob

Squeezebox Touch w/LMS V7.9; Benchmark DAC1 USB;Marantz Pre-amp; SAE Amplifier;ESS Heil Speakers(main listening speakers plus various additional speakers).
      Services:Rhapsody;Slacker;RadioTunes;Spotify (+Triode's Plugin);CalmRadio,Napster,
      Ipeng remote controller.

Comment

• Paul Webster
        • Apr 2005

The Touch is not due to ship until end of November ... so you would be without a Squeezebox for a long time.
        I'd say stick with what you have and by the time December comes around you will probably want another one.
        Paul Webster
        Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
        and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

• maggior
          • Dec 2006

The sb3 is a solid product due to it's maturity. The touch isn't even shipping yet.

My advice would be to stick with the sb3. You seem to be tending that way anyway - follow your instincts.

Since it is being discontinued, it may become a sought after device and become valuable :-)...especially if the touch has growing pains.
          Rich
          ---------
          Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.
          Current library stats: 40,810 songs, 3,153 albums, 582 artists.
          http://www.last.fm/user/maggior

Comment

• FredFredrickson
            • Apr 2008

I can't speak for the touch once it's released (it hasn't happened yet), but so far, even in beta, the touch is impressivly stable. If there was any concern about a jive-based player, i think it's safe to say the major kinks have already been worked out.
            1 Touch
            5 Receivers
            3 Controllers
            2 Radios
            Making streaming music in my home a full time job!

Comment

• Mark Lanctot
              • Oct 2005

Older SD products hold on to their value very well. If you eBay it, you'll get almost what you paid for it.

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." The Touch isn't released yet. There's a proposed date (I read early December, not late November) but this is a big release - things may happen between now and then to delay the date.
              Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta)

Comment

• Pat Farrell
                • Apr 2005

Ikabob wrote:
                > I do have concerns for growing pains for a new
                > product like the touch....bugs,etc. So, question: Should I exchange the
                > SB3 for the new Touch...I do not need 2 boxes so, keeping both is out of
                > the question. Any advice??? Thank you! I only have a few days for the
                > decision. I love the Squeeze system!

IMHO, no. Keep the SBC and buy a Touch when it comes out.

The Touch has been announced for December sales. You are not supposed to
                be able to buy one today. While the beta testing is fun, and it works
                mostly, concern of "bugs, etc." is well founded today. That is what the
                developers will be doing between today and December.

--
                Pat Farrell

Pat
                http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimse...msoftware.html

Comment

• Ikabob
                  • Aug 2009

Thanks to all those who chimed in with some advice. I do think I will keep my SB3. I really like it and it functions very well! A bird in the hand ...yes. I just want to be assured that after 2 years , if needed, I would be able to get it serviced for a fee, of course. So, and yes, I may get a touch in the future. We run out of music in the basement where I workout...I have a stereo down there....but no internet stations. So, I am very happy with what I have! Thank you.
                  Ikabob

Ipeng remote controller.

Comment

• Ikabob
                    • Aug 2009

I am second guessing myself now. I am seriously thinking about sending the SB3 back while I can and getting the Touch (it sounds so good)....any more advice is appreciated. Thanks. (I have about 7 days to do something)
                    Ikabob

Ipeng remote controller.

Comment

• iPhone
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Ikabob
                      I am second guessing myself now. I am seriously thinking about sending the SB3 back while I can and getting the Touch (it sounds so good)....any more advice is appreciated. Thanks. (I have about 7 days to do something)
                      How are you going to use the unit? Do you need to see it from far away? Are you going to need more then one Squeezebox in your home? Do you need 24/96 native support?
                      iPhone
                      Media Room:
                      ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
                      Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
                      Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
                      Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
                      Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
                      Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
                      Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
                      Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Comment

• Ikabob
                        • Aug 2009

I use the SB3 for my stereo system and the ipeng as a controller when out side speakers are on. I do not need to see the box from far away. The SB3 sounds awesome and I am afraid to take a chance of maybe losing some fidelity (a bird in a hand thing). I do not know what 24/96 native support means. And yes, someday I could use another Squeezebox ....but not in the near future. Thanks for your response.
                        Ikabob

Ipeng remote controller.

Comment

• Paul Webster
                          • Apr 2005

Are you happy to have nothing for 10 weeks?
                          Paul Webster
                          Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
                          and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

• Ikabob
                            • Aug 2009

I know what you are saying Paul...and no, I am not happy with nothing for 10 weeks. It would definitely be a sacrifice for a while....not sure I can do that. I do have a boom but it's in the bedroom and has nothing to do with the stereo. I worry a little that the SB3 will not be able to be serviced over the long run. Unfortunate but it happens. :-(
                            Ikabob

Ipeng remote controller.

Comment

• Mark Lanctot
                              • Oct 2005

With the large installed base of SB3s, you shouldn't worry about service issues. They'll likely be able to be serviced for a long time.

I believe you just have a case of "it's new, it's shiny, I want it". Touch will not likely be higher fidelity, it's targeted for the same market segment and if you don't know what 24/96 means then you really don't need that functionality just yet. Again, if you really, really want Touch when it's released, eBay your SB3. You won't risk all that much, they retain their value pretty well.
                              Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta)

Comment

Working...