Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

SqueezeBox Touch with LARGE fonts & SMS searching?

Hi all,

1. As a current SB3 user I wonder if the new Touch will have LARGE fonts similar to the largest fonts on the SB3...? If yes, does anyone have any sample sceenshots to upload? I'm wondering how the "Now playing" screen will look like with large fonts and with/without album cover displayed?

2. Will the Touch remote have a numeric keypad (0..9) and the same possibilities as the SB3 regarding SMS-kind of searching for artists, albums and songs? I love that feature.

Ronny
    Last edited by RonHatl; 2009-09-04 at 02:06.

The Touch does have a "10ft interface" as well as the normal touch interface, so the font size is pretty large.

To give you an idea of the scale, the normal skin has 6 lines of menus, the large skin has 4.

SMS searching has been implemented, I can think of a few ways to extend and improve on this though

[Project Log] Funkstars Digital Lifestyle - HEXUS.Community

In use: 1x Touch, 1x Boom, 2x SB3, 1x Controller
    In a box: 1x Radio, 1x (Beta) Controller, 1x Receiver, 1x SB2 wired (silver), 1x SB (black), 1x SliMP3 (with rear shield)

If you have any others, let me know, I'm interested!!

Ok, thanks! To me it's important to be able to read menus, artist & track names etc. way back from the sofa.. .

Will it be just as easy to switch between skins on the Touch as it is on the SB3 to switch font sizes using the Aa button on the remote..?

Quote Originally Posted by RonHatl View Post
    Will it be just as easy to switch between skins on the Touch as it is on the SB3 to switch font sizes using the Aa button on the remote..?
    Even easier. If it is in touchscreen mode ("normal" skin) and it receives an IR signal, it automatically switches to the large fonts. And if you get close to the SB Touch, the proximity sensor notices and switches back to the small fonts. So far I haven't run into problems with it getting confused by having someone stand or sit near the Touch while someone else is trying to control it via the IR remote.

Ok, thanks! To me it's important to be able to read menus, artist & track names etc. way back from the sofa.. .
    The texts in the 10ft skin have approximately the same size and visibility as the Classic fonts when you see two lines on the Classic where the bottom line has a larger font and the upper line a smaller font.

At the moment, there is nothing similar to the Classic large font where you only see a single line on the Classic.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Lead platform developer of ickStream Music Platform - A world of music at your fingertips

(Also developer of many plugins/applets (both free and commercial). If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third party plugin/applet development, consider purchasing some plugins)

Hi all,

1. As a current SB3 user I wonder if the new Touch will have LARGE fonts similar to the largest fonts on the SB3...? If yes, does anyone have any sample sceenshots to upload? I'm wondering how the "Now playing" screen will look like with large fonts and with/without album cover displayed?
    There are two skins/font sizes currently. One intended to be used up close with touch or with the remote if you're within a couple of feet of the Touch (triggered by the proximity sensor). It displays five lines plus the title bar when browsing. The other, usually referred to as the '10ft skin', is what you'd normally see from a distance and displays only three lines when browsing.

Now Playing also has two sizes. In the 3ft skin it displays buttons for the touch interface. In the 10ft skin, the buttons go away, giving a little more screen real estate and the font is larger.

As others have said the 10ft skin is approximately equivalent to the two line font size on the SB2/3.

The interface is still unfinished and there have been requests to suppress album art from Now Playing, which would give more horizontal space. As it stands now, about half the width of the screen is taken up by the cover image, so the display area for text is much narrower than with the SB3, maybe about 1/3 the size. This is partly offset by having track title, artist name and album name on three separate lines.

2. Will the Touch remote have a numeric keypad (0..9) and the same possibilities as the SB3 regarding SMS-kind of searching for artists, albums and songs? I love that feature.
    Yes, the remote has an alpha-numeric keypad, like the SB3 remote. I'm not sure if searching like this has been implemented yet, but should be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post

The interface is still unfinished and there have been requests to suppress album art from Now Playing, which would give more horizontal space.
    I do hope the developers add that feature. I like being able to use the single-line font on my SB3, which is visible from my kitchen - about 15' away. Would it be possible to have a 2-line format similar to the SB3's, but larger font for each line (perhaps the bottom line being the same size as the single-line font on the SB3) and no album art?

The idea of the player switching to a format with smaller fonts and more detail as you approach it is very appealing to me.

For true living room usability I hope the developers will implement a LARGE font AS LARGE AS THE SINGLE-LINE FONT on the SB3. I'm using the single-line font ALL THE TIME on my SB3, and I really don't think I will replace the SB3 with the Touch unless it will be just as easy to read the display from far away.

R.