Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Does this new model have a auto-sleep button?

From the photo's, it can't see if this new model has an auto sleep button that turns off at a set time as the SQ Boom does.

I would assume that it has the function since it has an alarm clock.
    If so, is it a series of clicks & scrolls to get to the function or is it one touch like the Boom?

Also, is there a manual to download posted yet?

Thanks,
    CK

It doesn't have a dedicated button for it like the Boom does, but if you add sleep to your home menu, it's just a few button pushes away. Or you can use a remote control with the sleep button. It's probably something that could be assigned to a button as a software enhancement.
    Sue
    "If you're happy and you know it turn the volume up and blow it out."

1 Touch | 2 Booms | 2 Radios | 1 Duet | 1 SB2
    HP Proliant N54G | Logitech Media Server 7.8 | iPhone & iPad w/ iPeng
    Find me on Last.FM | Twitter | Rhapsody
    My Journey to Musical Bliss | Squeezebox is Dead. Long Live Squeezebox.

No dedicated snooze button?

Wow... what a stunningly *massive* mistake - that eliminates this as a candidate to replace my current clock radio/alarm (which has a very well used snooze button), and the size was perfect too (the Boom, which bizarrely has a dedicated snooze button, is way too large for a bedside table).

formerly known as Fletch
    I believe the current plan is that pressing the big navigation knob will do snooze. Not sure about sleep.

It needs to be something I can hit while semi-comatose - trying to touch the screen is unlikely to succeed, as is twiddling a knob (errr... oh never mind ).

I just don't understand why an easy-to-hit button couldn't have been provided (as it is on the Boom) but anyway - this is a major disappointment and now renders the Radio unfit for the bedroom (as an alarm) IMHO. One lost purchase, and I suspect not the last.

Quote Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
    I just don't understand why an easy-to-hit button couldn't have been provided
    Don't you think the knob is big enough to hit???
    http://www.tux.org/~peterw/
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend time on the forums.
    Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
    FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
    SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

Quote Originally Posted by peterw View Post
    Don't you think the knob is big enough to hit???
    Hit, or push? I can't see how I can "hit" the knob other than to "push" it in which case I run the risk of pushing the entire radio off the table, and if I don't accurately push the knob I may end up rotating it and selecting god knows what function.

Sorry, but using the knob as a snooze button is not a practical alternative while the user is semi-comatose and/or flapping around in the dark. If the knob was an acceptable alternative to a snooze button, why did the Boom come with a large snooze button - possibly because a snooze button wins every time over a knob?

Quote Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
    Hit, or push? I can't see how I can "hit" the knob other than to "push" it in which case I run the risk of pushing the entire radio off the table
    Trust me, there are nice rubber feet on the Radio that keep it in place. Unless you're keeping it on top of a stack of paper, you should be fine.

If the knob was an acceptable alternative to a snooze button, why did the Boom come with a large snooze button - possibly because a snooze button wins every time over a knob?
    A large snooze button is nicer, and a top-mounted button is nicer, too -- I'll grant you that. And Boom's snooze pad makes a nice spot to keep your small remote. But I imagine it's expensive (did you know there are 5 separate buttons under the Boom snooze pad?), so omitting it on Radio (like omitting the backlighting of the buttons) helps keep the cost & retail price down. Plus a number of Logitech folks tried painting their Booms (we don't all want black), and the silicone snooze button made that difficult. Not only does Radio come in a pretty nice red (well, my early build does), but it should be easier to repaint than Boom. I don't know if the official docs mention this, but the speaker grille comes off easily, so you could also more easily change that color, too -- but you're stuck with black on the right-hand side.
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend time on the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Miksis View Post
    I believe the current plan is that pressing the big navigation knob will do snooze. Not sure about sleep.
    I fully intend to make KidsPlay work with Radio, so that at least would give you the option of turning one of the 6 silver buttons into a dedicated sleep button. Because Radio runs SqueezeOS, KidsPlay should let you have custom button functions even when connected to SqueezeNetwork, which is not possible with Boom.

What if snooze could be invoked by *any* movement of the big knob, so all you'd have to do would be to nudge it? I'm sure the anti-snoozers would hate it, though.

I wasn't even thinking about snooze when I read the OP's question.
    Sue
    "If you're happy and you know it turn the volume up and blow it out."

1 Touch | 2 Booms | 2 Radios | 1 Duet | 1 SB2
    HP Proliant N54G | Logitech Media Server 7.8 | iPhone & iPad w/ iPeng
    Find me on Last.FM | Twitter | Rhapsody
    My Journey to Musical Bliss | Squeezebox is Dead. Long Live Squeezebox.