Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

24/96 or 24/192 transcoding on NAS

Hello!

Has anybody with a 1200 MHz Marvell Kirkwood CPU (e.g. TS-219, DSx09) or an 800 MHz Freescale MPC8543 CPU (e.g. DS209+, DS408, DS508) already tested whether these devices are powerfull enough to transcode 24/96 and 24/192 FLAC to 24/48 for the SB3? Or would yo still need an Atom based NAS?

Alternatively: Does anybody know how to switch off this transcoding, which has been introduced for SC 7.3 and newer?

Background: Transcoding prevents playing HD files on a Transporter or similar, if SC is on an NAS and a SB3 is part of the system. This is not a problem with older versions (e.g. SC 7.2.1), where this function is not implemented.

Best regards

Quote Originally Posted by kai View Post
    Background: Transcoding prevents playing HD files on a Transporter or similar, if SC is on an NAS and a SB3 is part of the system. This is not a problem with older versions (e.g. SC 7.2.1), where this function is not implemented.
    If that is the case, I'd call it a bug. The TP should definitely be
    served 24/96 files (but not 24/192). This works fine for me with a TP
    and a Duet and SqueezeCenter on a regular PC.

It's when syncing an transporter with an SB3 or lower, and playing those 96kHz files .

The SB3 can handle 24/48

The usual stumbling blocks for this is that it's often so that the SOX binary does not exist for that processor. SOX is the application that does this high quality re sampling. Or that the CPU is to weak .

I don't know much about these hardware platforms, but one can speculate that if nobody bothered to port SOX to that hardware it's must be for a reason.

My mini-itx with 1,2Ghz x86 processor 1GB ram can do this at 70% cpu load .
    what many small processors lack is fpu a device for floating point math, this
    really cripple the performance beyond mere ghz figures.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by bhaagensen View Post
    If that is the case, I'd call it a bug. The TP should definitely be
    served 24/96 files (but not 24/192). This works fine for me with a TP
    and a Duet and SqueezeCenter on a regular PC.
    The problem in the setup mentioned by me above is not the Transporter, which can easily play 24/96, but the "normal" NAS which does not have enough horsepower for transcoding. On the other hand Atom based NASs are reported to be able to do the transcoding. Therefore my question, whether this is true for the smaller 800/1200 MHz class as well.

Even more prefered would be an option that simply switches transcoding off. One could listen 24/96 on the transporter then and the associated SB3s in the setup could simply be muted. That's what I did prior to SC 7.3.

Quote Originally Posted by kai View Post
    The problem in the setup mentioned by me above is not the Transporter, which can easily play 24/96, but the "normal" NAS which does not have enough horsepower for transcoding. On the other hand Atom based NASs are reported to be able to do the transcoding. Therefore my question, whether this is true for the smaller 800/1200 MHz class as well.

Even more prefered would be an option that simply switches transcoding off. One could listen 24/96 on the transporter then and the associated SB3s in the setup could simply be muted. That's what I did prior to SC 7.3.
    But just unsync the SB3 when using the transporter ? this should work just fine.
    This will only be of problem if run your SB3 in synk with the Trasnporter.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Sorry, but SC starts transcoding on the NAS as soon as it detects a SB3. Unsyncing does not help as the problem exists as long as there is any SB3 connected to SC.