Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Also shown in the test report is that it was apparently tested with both an AC adapter and a "Battery Power Pack".
    Dave
    Squeezeboxes: 3 (a.k.a. Classic), Duet, Boom

>Duet Receiver -> ?<

Into the dumpster! And we will never mention it again

Watcher of the Windows build
    Quote Originally Posted by amcluesent View Post
    >Duet Receiver -> ?<

Into the dumpster! And we will never mention it again
    From what I can gather in this forums I have to agree with you. Notice that I unbundled the Duet product to avoid confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by dem View Post
    Also shown in the test report is that it was apparently tested with both an AC adapter and a "Battery Power Pack".
    Are there any leaked pictures of this "Battery Power Pack"? Is it a build-in battery pack or external? In my experience using rechargeable batteries to listen to streamed music at a "decent" volume level over Wi-Fi for prolonged periods of time is not very practical. Specially with small (portable) batteries. Who knows, maybe they'll be using a "relatively" small and light rechargeable battery pack. I wonder what the playing time using the battery pack will be.

Quote Originally Posted by tamanaco View Post
    Are there any leaked pictures of this "Battery Power Pack"? Is it a build-in battery pack or external? In my experience using rechargeable batteries to listen to streamed music at a "decent" volume level over Wi-Fi for prolonged periods of time is not very practical. Specially with small (portable) batteries. Who knows, maybe they'll be using a "relatively" small and light rechargeable battery pack. I wonder what the playing time using the battery pack will be.
    The shot of the bottom of the unit shows a removable door, presumably to access the battery.

Don't forget that the Radio will have a small LCD screen, rather than the VFD on the Boom. The LCD will use a lot less power than the VFD.
    Yes, it will. Yes, all of them. Yes, SoftSqueeze as well. What ?
    I SAID ALL OF THEM !

Quote Originally Posted by andynormancx View Post
    The shot of the bottom of the unit shows a removable door, presumably to access the battery.
    I see...

Don't forget that the Radio will have a small LCD screen, rather than the VFD on the Boom. The LCD will use a lot less power than the VFD.
    The LCD or VFD shouldn't be much of an issue as one can always turn the screen off and still listen to music. Can't say the same thing about the WiFi connection as constant power is required to drive the Wi-Fi adapter to download the stream and keep the connection alive. I read an announcement about a new generation of low power consumption Wi-Fi adpaters. Maybe this box will be using one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by tamanaco View Post
    I see...
    The LCD or VFD shouldn't be much of an issue as one can always turn the screen off and still listen to music. Can't say the same thing about the WiFi connection as constant power is required to drive the Wi-Fi adapter to download the stream and keep the connection alive. I read an announcement about a new generation of low power consumption Wi-Fi adpaters. Maybe this box will be using one of those.
    My iPhone will stream audio over wifi for 4-5 hours. It has a much smaller battery than the Radio is likely to have and probably a similar CPU, though admittedly it doesn't have a 10W amp...
    Yes, it will. Yes, all of them. Yes, SoftSqueeze as well. What ?
    I SAID ALL OF THEM !

My iPhone will stream audio over wifi for 4-5 hours. It has a much smaller battery than the Radio is likely to have and probably a similar CPU, though admittedly it doesn't have a 10W amp...
    Wow, I'm impressed... My Smartphone only last about 45 Min using Wi-Fi using Pandora and about 2 hours when using a 3G connection. I guess the iPhone has a better (low-power-drain) WiFi adapter than my Smartphone. The other issue using batteries besides the power amp is going to be if the box plays streamed lossless formats like FLAC.

Ben Sandee

FCC reveals Logitech Squeezebox Radio

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 11:50 AM,
    andynormancx<andynormancx.3xa2kn1250873521 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
    wrote:
    >
    > My iPhone will stream audio over wifi for 4-5 hours. It has a much
    > smaller battery than the Radio is likely to have and probably a similar
    > CPU, though admittedly it doesn't have a 10W amp...

I don't see why this device would have or need anywhere near the CPU
    power of an iPhone.
    Ben

Odd that they call is "Squeezebox Radio" without including FM - good chance that it will confuse things in the stores.
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=51748