Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Quote Originally Posted by NikolajC View Post
    Thanks Raven. I tried it but it turned out the problem was something else. Apparently the Sheeva plug (even being a non-wlan device) emits enough interference to completely mess up my wifi router.

I now moved the plug to another room (having a networked house helps here) and now everything seems to work great - even with dhcp enabled. Weird but it's rather consistent!
    I have the same problem, each time I put the power on the Sheevaplug, my Squeezebox gets lost, doesn't connect anymore to the network by wifi, and I have to to power off and on the Squeezebox to fix it.
    This does not seem to be related to the distance of the plug to the Squeezebox or the router.
    Normally the plug is on of course and then it is not an issue, however when setting up the system and playing around with difference SD cards I had to power off the plug several times and each time my Squeezebox got lost.

stroom
    Squeezebox 3 // Squeezebox Touch // Squeezebox Boom// Squeezebox Radio// Raspberry pi

Watcher of the Windows build
    Quote Originally Posted by tamanaco View Post
    Maybe it has been mentioned here before, but I just ran across this Kuro-Sheeva plug with a 1.2Ghz ARM CPU, USB, eSata, Giga Ethernet and Ubuntu 9.0.4 pre-installed.

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news...tent=Bloglines
    Here is another plug the "Guru" PlugServer... not the "Kuru" as mentioned above.
    http://www.globalscaletechnologies.c...rver-plus.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by srasher View Post
    Although I already read some positive hints in advance I am more than pleased (not to say surprised) with the performance. My library has ~15,000 songs and the web interface, the IR remote control (I have two SB3/classics) and also the iPeng UI on my iPod Touch (after a few minutes during the initial cache re-synchronization that felt a LITTLE bit sluggy) run without any noticeable lag/delay.
    Hi I wanted to ask about the performance of the web interface with the Sheevaplug. I have the same experience as above with iPeng that works very fast (once it loaded the data from the server at startup), but my experience with the web interface is quite slow. When I switch page in album view it can take about 10s to switch page! And this is not only at start of the web interface. The post I quote seems much more positive on the performance of the web interface. I run Squeezebox server from SD card and my music is on 2.5 inch external HD attached with USB.

Regards, stroom
    Squeezebox 3 // Squeezebox Touch // Squeezebox Boom// Squeezebox Radio// Raspberry pi

The only thing that is a bit slower is the Album view form the main menu. But if you switch of diplaying of covers in this section (lower left corner holds a small menu to do so) and/or lower the amount of albums listed at once you can lower the loadtimes significantly.

Just got my SheevaPlug yesterday, have Debian Squeeze and Squeezebox up and running...

Anyone else found accessing USB attached NTFS formatted drives over Samba a little slow?

I can play 720p MKV files OK, but 1080p starts chopping up :/

you are combining the two worst things for this setup

ntfs is slow with linux. samba is slower then nfs. so you might switch your disk to fat32/vfat. Transfer speeds should then be fast enough with samba.

Quote Originally Posted by fragfutter View Post
    you are combining the two worst things for this setup

ntfs is slow with linux. samba is slower then nfs. so you might switch your disk to fat32/vfat. Transfer speeds should then be fast enough with samba.
    That is sort of what I figured I reformatted one of my external drives with ext3 fs last night, since I don't want to deal with the limitations of FAT32. I'm still finding it slow copying a file over my gbe lan onto the drive, but I have a bunch more testing to do...

sustained Single File Transfer Speed without jumbo frames, usb 2.5" disk, ext4

NFS Disk 24.0 MB/s 21.2 MB/s

Quote Originally Posted by fragfutter View Post
    sustained Single File Transfer Speed without jumbo frames, usb 2.5" disk, ext4

NFS Disk 24.0 MB/s 21.2 MB/s
    OK, something is wrong here then. When I start out copying (using rsync) a single large file from a shared folder on my Windows desktop (also connected to GBE switch) it starts at 6-7MB/s then drops to 1MB/s (destination is ext3 formatted 3.5" USB disk)

Edit: removed my Linksys USB hub and attached the USB drive directly to the Sheevaplug, and now I'm getting sustained 7MB/s, but still nowhere near what you are getting...

But why would a USB hub cause that kind of slowdown? I bought a Linksys one figuring it would be decent quality...
    Last edited by plutoz; 2010-02-13 at 07:38.