Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

SheevaPlug Installation guide

Hi,

I have written a very quick installation guide for SqueezeCenter on a SheevaPlug using a Debian distribution. You can find it on the wiki:
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...allation_guide

Please improved it.

Antoine

Antoine,
    Thanks for the writeup. How is the performance while scanning etc.
    Thanks
    TP

Please test

If transcoding is possible, I need Flac -> 320kb MP3 to work before I can change from my current SC server.
    Best regards
    Bebop

SC 7.8 on Ubuntu 12.04 on FITPC2 , 3xSB Touch, Duet SBC&SBR w. Cambridge DacMagic, 2 x Boom, SB Radio, Squeezeplay 7.4.1 on PC & MAC, Squeezeplayer&Orangesqueeze on Android phone and tablet.

Thumbs up Thanks for the SheevaPlug Installation Guide

I followed the guide for the installation of SqueezeCenter and it worked. The SheevaPlug runs SqueezeCenter without any problems (very low CPU usage). All of my music is on a D-Link DNS-321 NAS so, I had to mount the music folder as a shared drive (smbfs) and I had it up and running.

Thanks again

Might this not be an alternative for all those guys asking if they can run SC on (insert cheap brand) NAS? How much does a sheeva cost?
    Louis
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by lrossouw View Post
    Might this not be an alternative for all those guys asking if they can run SC on (insert cheap brand) NAS? How much does a sheeva cost?
    As I saw it, I thought the same

I'm currently using a Linkstation Live (LS-CHL-500MB), which is about 127Ç (149$ on us-amazon). It owns a 500Mhz ARM-processor and 128MB of ram.
    For me SqueezeCenter is running very well on this - the only 'downside' is a slow web-interface (which I don't need) and a boot-up-time of 1-2min (which is sometimes annoying when you want to use WakeOnLan). Using it with a SqueezeBox-Controller I don't see any downsides in daily live.
    I think 149$ can't be beaten by any other NAS or homegrown stuff.

The next upgraded thingy from buffalo would be the new Linkstation Pro (LS-XHL, 1TB), which owns a 1,2GhZ ARM-process and 256MB of ram. It's currently 207$ and I guess SC will run very smoothly on it.

Now comes SheevaPlug - it very much reminds me on NSLU2 but with the right power to run SqueeceCenter.
    Let's see: 1,2Mhz, 512MB Ram for 99$. We have to add an average 1TB harddrive (99$), this makes 200$.

So we are pretty much in the same area as the LS-XHL-
    As in SheevaPlug there is a 'real' debian, things might also prove easier to install (though we have a very good tutorial for the linkstation here in the forums).
    On the other hand the integrated linkstation looks a bit nicer

Conclusion: yeah I really like this thing and if ever my small Linkstation fades away I have a really tough decision to make between SheevaPlug and the bigger Linkstation.
    Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
    Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? Squeezebox + iPad = SqueezePad
    Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
    Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet

As I understood there were some NAS servers that couldn't even think of running SC. I was thinking this may be a solution to those guys.
    Louis
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by lrossouw View Post
    As I understood there were some NAS servers that couldn't even think of running SC. I was thinking this may be a solution to those guys.
    I have a CH3SNAS which is identical to the D-link dns-323. 500mhz cpu and 64mb ram. It runs SC, but poor performance and no more spindown of the harddrives.
    I ordered a Sheevaplug to run SC (and a webserver) and i leave my music files on the nas. Seems to be perfect.

Got mine - runs perfectly!

I just wanted to let everybody that's interested know that I have got my SheevaPlug a few days ago and it already started its 24h/day rock-solid duty as Squeeze server.

I am posting in this thread as I basically used Antoine's howto to install it and everything went fine without issues.

Although I already read some positive hints in advance I am more than pleased (not to say surprised) with the performance. My library has ~15,000 songs and the web interface, the IR remote control (I have two SB3/classics) and also the iPeng UI on my iPod Touch (after a few minutes during the initial cache re-synchronization that felt a LITTLE bit sluggy) run without any noticeable lag/delay.

Full library scan takes ~1.5 hours which isn't too bad if I consider that my previous so-called low power server based on an AMD Geode took up to 38 minutes for that action.

Circumstances: I have not done any performance optimizations (original Ubuntu 9.04, no file system "upgrade") on the Plug, OS runs from a (not so high-speed) SD card, collection is on an attached USB HDD. I have not done anything related to transcoding so far, i.e. only native streaming, no AlienBBC...

All in all: second best electronic device purchase in the past few years (after the Squeezeboxes of course!).

Cheers,
    Seb
    "The only word I know is 'Grunt' - and I can't spell it" (R.I.P. D.A.)

Quote Originally Posted by srasher View Post
    collection is on an attached USB HDD
    Is the HDD shutting down, when you don't play music so you will get dead-silence ? If so could you name the HDD you are using ?
    Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
    Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? Squeezebox + iPad = SqueezePad
    Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
    Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet