Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Sc 7.3 - 7.4 - 8.0

May I ask for a few well written words explaining simply what is going on at the moment to those who don't follow all the detail and cant follow the most technical chatter?

I think there a planns to change the basic database on which SC relies, and that this was to incorporated into SC 7.4, now in Beta but son to become an official release.

I understand the database changes are not to happen yet and the 7.4 nightlies are talking a step back for a bit, so the official release of 7.4 will use the old database.

If I have once loaded any 7.4 can I go back to 7.3 and keep my prefs?

And a particular question. Does Alien BBC presently work with 7.4?

A I said, a short explanation for what has been and is to happen would be useful for me and I guess others, as, I guess, would be a resume of the new features that are soon to be available.
    Brian

In Southampton: Quad 77 Integrated Amp - AVI Neutron 4
    In Nicosia: Quad 520f refreshed by Dada - Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers. Boom in conservatory.
    In both: Squeezebox Classic, Beresford Caiman DAC, Sony MDR-F1 Headphones

As 7.4 is still a beta and subject to change, there is an AlienBBC beta for 7.4 (both versions MySQL and SQLLite) 2.6b1.

Besides the database there were other changes between both versions of 7.4 so AlienBBC 2.6b1 was needed. A few bug fixes and mods were also added to 2.6b1.

See
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=65546

I'll take my best shot, but since I don't run any third party plugins, I don't really know the implications for plugins.

7.3.3 is the last version that was officially released. It uses MySQL for its database.

7.3.4 beta is the maintenance version of 7.3, with relatively small bug fixes and should be very safe. It uses MySQL also. Not expected to become an official release.

7.4 beta as of today could be a little shaky, but I'm using it on Windows with no problems. Also uses MySQL. On Aug 1st a lot of the stable changes already being tested in the version that will become 8.0 were backported into this version. This includes some speed optimizations. It doesn't look like there are any major problems, but it will probably become more stable over the next few days. It's been stated that 7.4 is expected to be release in a month or two.

8.0 will be the next major version after 7.4 and will change the database engine to SQLite. There's a testing branch of this version (still called 7.4 noweb-sqlite) that's been under development for several months.

Thanks bpa and Jim

I move house in six weeks and everything will change, so at the moment I am not getting fussed so long as those parts I want work.

Since uses 7.4 I seem to have a random CD art in the panels when listening to a radio station - I can live with that for a bit.
    Brian

In Southampton: Quad 77 Integrated Amp - AVI Neutron 4
    In Nicosia: Quad 520f refreshed by Dada - Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers. Boom in conservatory.
    In both: Squeezebox Classic, Beresford Caiman DAC, Sony MDR-F1 Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    8.0 will be the next major version after 7.4 and will change the database engine to SQLite. There's a testing branch of this version (still called 7.4 noweb-sqlite) that's been under development for several months.
    is there a nightly build of this? just want to see if sqlite is fater with 80k tracks or not

noweb-> does this mean, there is no webgui? ;-)

Thanks

Sc 7.3 - 7.4 - 8.0

> is there a nightly build of this? just want to see if sqlite is fater
    > with 80k tracks or not

The SQLite nightlies have been stopped for now, as we're concentrating on

> noweb-> does this mean, there is no webgui? ;-)

It initially stood for a version which can be trimmed down, to better fit
    on NAS devices etc. But all the optimizations (besides the change to
    SQLite) are runtime parameters. The first change we did was the --noweb
    parameter to disable the web UI.

--

Michael

okay, but on the roadmap there was originally a db schema redesign, is this still planned? I mean for me as user the current schema is ok. but i think that the performance is a general problem if you have larger collections (+60k tracks).

mainly search is quite slow on the webinterface. also my friends are encountring the same issues on different systems.

so the main question is, is there still the focus on performance enhancements?

anyway, will install the 7.4 and test it.

and at last, squeezecenter & boxes by fare the coolest system arround ;-)

keep on your great work!

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
    okay, but on the roadmap there was originally a db schema redesign, is this still planned? I mean for me as user the current schema is ok. but i think that the performance is a general problem if you have larger collections (+60k tracks).
    That's now 8.1 or so.
    Personally and honestly I would not expect that before a year or so on.
    Really honestly I don't expect it to happen at all.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 8, the Universal App for iOS 7 and iOS 8

Exclamation 7.4 to become mandatory for continued access to SN?

I would urge that Logitech shouldn't force all users to upgrade to 7.4 to allow continued access to SN-mediated music services, at least not for about a year.

7.4 is being developed under extreme time pressure and, although there are very capable engineers working on it, initial quality might not match what people are used to in 7.3.x.
    ----------------------
    "Dreamer, easy in the chair that really fits you..."