Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remote access of SQLite database

Is it true that SQLite does not support remote access as it does not support network functions? If so, is there a workaround for this?
    Would be nice to remotely retrieve data and process it.

Frank
    1xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xDuet, 1xRadio, 1xiPhone iPeng, Ubuntu NAS + SBS

Quote Originally Posted by SilverRS8 View Post
    Is it true that SQLite does not support remote access as it does not support network functions? If so, is there a workaround for this?
    Maybe one of these alternatives would work ?
    http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=SqliteNetwork

The easiest is probably to share the directory where the squeezecenter.db file is stored. I'm not sure if you'll get into trouble if you modify the squeezecenter.db while SqueezeCenter is connected to it, to be safe it's probably a good idea to shutdown SqueezeCenter before you do any modifications.

If you just want to be able to run a SQL statement from a remote machine, you can always try toe Database Query plugin. It's only available as a beta version for SQLite yet, see this thread for more information:
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=65439
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    (Developer of many plugins/applets (both free and commercial).
    If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third party plugin/applet development, consider purchasing some plugins)

Interested in the future of music streaming ? ickStream - A world of music at your fingertips.

Watcher of the Windows build

Frank
    SilverRS8, I noticed that moose "first" copies the SQLite.db file to the moose folder (of the client PC) when an update is required (after a scan) to avoid any access conflicts with the running SC Server. One issue I found with this approach is that one has to share the cache folder to access the active .db file (not a fan of putting any critical data in the cache folder)... but when one clears the cache via the SC Control Panel the cache folder is deleted and the folder share is lost.

Sigh. One of the reasons why I loved the MySQL versions ...

>not a fan of putting any critical data in the cache folder
    Neither am I. Squeezebox Server is at a bit of a mess with various types of files and where they get written.

Normal users don't need to know and shouldn't care, but that don't make it right!

Not per se, but your application can work across the network simply by pointing it at the database file on a network share. I've been running a couple of different SQLite database managers that work fine like this.

> Neither am I. Squeezebox Server is at a bit of a mess with various
    > types of files and where they get written.

What should be where?

--

Michael

[QUOTE=mherger;443568What should be where?[/QUOTE]

There are things in the cache folder that are user-visible, not transitory behind the scenes to the app. eg. Extension Downloader installed plugins.

There are things in the user prefs folder that are not preferences, eg. the current playlist of each player.

Last time I did an install, the default Playlist folder was a sub-directory in the installation folder (this may have changed - it was some time ago!).

>> There are things in the cache folder that are user-visible, not
    >> transitory behind the scenes to the app. eg. Extension Downloader
    >> installed plugins.

The problem is we're restricted in where we are allowed to write. This
    isn't a pref neither. And we can't write to the plugins folder. So what
    would you suggest?

>> There are things in the user prefs folder that are not preferences, eg.
    >> the current playlist of each player.

It used to be in cache - which you wouldn't like neither. What would you
    suggest?

>> Last time I did an install, the default Playlist folder was a
    >> sub-directory in the installation folder (this may have changed - it was
    >> some time ago!).

What OS? This sounds like an awful fallback from very old times. In most
    circumstances SC wouldn't even be able to even create that folder (Windows
    XP+, OSX, Linux installed from package).

--

Michael

Watcher of the Windows build
    Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    >
    What should be where?
    I'm probably missing something obvious, but currently there are three places where plugins are installed. Why not have a single folder called Plugins with subfolders for the Default SC Plugins, the user Installed Plugins and the Extension Download Plugins. What's the logic for having plugins code in three different places? If security is the motive, then the user installed plugins should also be installed in the cache folder. If the cache is cleared the plugins installed via Extension Downloader need to be replaced. Clearing the Cache should not remove installed components by default. The SC downloaded Updates should not be installed there either as this is a volatile folder. If I clear the cache because of a server crash and find that after a restart the SC code is somehow corrupted... I have to download the installation executable again. I also find that the clear cache function of the SC Control Panel should not delete the actual folder, but its content. It might be necessary to share the cache folder to access the active .db file. Having to recreate the share is a pain. A work around for this issue could be to have the clear cache function refined to allow users to delete "all" or "selected" content in the cache. This should shorten the startup time of the server if one needs to clear some specific files that exist in the cache and not the whole kid and kaboodle.