Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    >I'm wondering whether it's in two halves<

IMHO it wouldn't make sense otherwise. Who would want a touch-screen tablet that they had to walk over to use?

Quote Originally Posted by amcluesent View Post
    >I'm wondering whether it's in two halves<

IMHO it wouldn't make sense otherwise. Who would want a touch-screen tablet that they had to walk over to use?
    Quite! Logitech has been caught by their own marketing imperatives.

Folk will buy it - first time buyers who have not thought it through - it is not for the lounge.

I suppose it might be of use in a kitchen - screwed to a wall with installed wall speakers. But we have the Boom: a Boom Touch might have been the better product.

I suppose we should wait for the formal release when the specifications will be available.

The new Logitech box will face competition from the Yamaha MusicCAST2 digital audio streamer:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10268917-1.html

Now this product area is a long way from the Transporter/Linn Squeeky DS/SB3 or Duet with good external DAC market.

We could easily be at the point where the market splits and Logitech takes the Slim Products firmly into the higher volume consumer electronics domain.
    Last edited by Labarum; 2009-06-21 at 00:59.
    Brian

In Southampton: Quad 77 Integrated Amp - AVI Neutron 4
    In Nicosia: Quad 520f refreshed by Dada - Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers. Boom in conservatory.
    In both: Squeezebox Classic, Beresford Caiman DAC, Sony MDR-F1 Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by NigelMSB View Post
    The bottom half (with the Logitech logo) is slightly matt whilst the top is gloss.

I'm wondering whether it's in two halves - a base station with the actual audio hardware (like a Receiver) and a docking station. The top half is a Controller minus wheel/buttons plus a touchscreen.

If it is, then it's the slicker replacement for a Nokia 770/N800/N810 that I've been waiting for. Either way, it looks *very* interesting.
    Oooh, please be wrong! Otherwise I have to buy it!

BTW, the icons on the screen-shot looked a little like iPeng.

The prices seem all over the place, from the Ç329.63 in the orginal link to the Ç202.57 here

The link to the image in the first post didn't work for me, but I found it here, and it's also been posted on AVForums.

I don't think it looks like it's in two halves any more than my Squeezebox3. I suspect it's not, in which case in a world where everything is remote controlled I don't get this product. Nobody's going to want to stand in front of it and poke at the touch screen. Touchscreens work on either handheld devices (which this isn't) or devices that are somehow mounted so they don't move when you poke them!

I think it is probably an "upgrade" to the Classic, adding a colour screen, so it can double as a digital photo frame, USB host for local file playback and also, and more interestingly perhaps for some at that price point:
    "Supports sampling rates up to 24 bit / 96 kHz"

I hope this box will have its own touch interface not the controllers style, which is also available for PC (Squeezeplay). Wouldn't make sense...

Christian

Quote Originally Posted by rickwookie View Post
    "Supports sampling rates up to 24 bit / 96 kHz"
    Now that could make a difference, but most of my stuff is 16/44.1 and Squeezecentre will downsample higher stuff to 16/48, and numbers ain't everything. If they were I would be looking to abilities up to 192.
    Brian

In Nicosia: Quad 520f refreshed by Dada - Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers. Boom in conservatory.

At last!!!!

A bit of a shame that it will probably take a couple of monts to trickle in to the markets.

Although I am goinh to buy one anyway, it looks a bit clunky. I am not a fan of the wide bezel.

Unfortunately they took the picture down.

Logitech must not have been happy.
    http://zzzone.net
    http://have-a-nice-day.org
    http://www.last.fm/user/zzzoneDOTnet
    http://somethingsomethingsomething.net

SBS 7.9 - i7 nuc - Win 10 64bit
    5 Booms, 2 Radio, 3 Touch, 1 Duet, 5 piCorePlayers including 3 touchscreen, 1 Avy
    2 controllers, various tablets/phones
    Apps including iPeng, Squeeze Ctrl etc.
    Library: 385,000+ FLAC/MP3 files - 12 TB HD

I think this looks great. finally 24/96 support for a very attractive price.

No hints about the quality of the internal DAC?

No knowledge of an auxiliary digital input?
    Brian