Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

DSBridge - A simpler way to stream Spotify

I thought I'd share the fruits of my labour here... I have written a small drop-in wrapper utility that will allow you to stream among other things Spotify (anything that uses the first DirectSound API basically) as MP3 (with metadata).

Download link: http://dsbridge.googlecode.com/files...090727-bin.zip. Installation instructions are found in the included readme file.

Note that for SqueezeCenter http://localhost:8124/ might not work (even when running it on the same machine), instead you have to input the actual IP of the computer to get it to work.

I do not include the LAME encoder DLL due to the usual patent issues. It can be tracked down elsewhere.
    Last edited by chp; 2009-07-27 at 01:27. Reason: Updated URL for new release (20090727)

WOW! Impressive.

I just tried it on my Logitech Boombox. And it workes brilliantly!

So easy and... well, have no complaints!

PS. It was so easy I had trouble understanding how to get it working. How I did it:
    1. Download dsbridge.
    2. Extract the dll file into my Spotify folder (c:\program files\spotify)
    3. Get lame_enc.dll and also put it in th Spotify folder.
    4. Restart Spotify - and start playing a track (I put the volume to zero in Spotify).
    5. On my Boombox I connected to http://192.168.0.199:8124 (the IP of my computer) and VOILA - It plays music!
    Last edited by ted1001; 2009-06-21 at 14:38.

Quote Originally Posted by ted1001 View Post
    WOW! Impressive.

5. On my Boombox I connected to http://192.168.0.199:8124 (the IP of my computer) and VOILA - It plays music!
    Hello. I have tried this and got as far as 5. However, I don't seem to be able to connect my Squeezebox Boom to the server. I don't have any firewallson my machine - does the router need to be configured to allow accessto port 8124 within the local network?

I don't suppose you could provide a walkthrough on how you setup the SB Boom?

Also, just to make sure I understand, you don't need Squeezebox Server set up on the same machine do you?

Thanks for any help

Mark
    Last edited by markdibley; 2010-05-25 at 12:38.

Quote Originally Posted by markdibley View Post
    Hello. I have tried this and got as far as 5. However, I don't seem to be able to connect my Squeezebox Boom to the server. I don't have any firewallson my machine - does the router need to be configured to allow accessto port 8124 within the local network?

I don't suppose you could provide a walkthrough on how you setup the SB Boom?

Also, just to make sure I understand, you don't need Squeezebox Server set up on the same machine do you?

Thanks for any help

Mark
    Hi Mark,

Are you sure you do not even have Windows Defender, which is the standard firewall in my Vista machine at least. I had to add port 8124 there in order to get DSBridge to work. Furthermore, if you run via the SB Sever, then it seems you need to have it running on the same machine as you play Spotify. In case you want to run on another machine, turn off SB Server and connect to mysqueezebox.com instead and define the Spotify favourite there instead, as has been described in this thread before. My definition as an example:
    http://192.168.1.4:8124/#slim:noscan=1

/Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Erik L View Post
    Hi Mark,

Furthermore, if you run via the SB Sever, then it seems you need to have it running on the same machine as you play Spotify. In case you want to run on another machine, turn off SB Server and connect to mysqueezebox.com instead and define the Spotify favourite there instead, as has been described in this thread before. My definition as an example:
    http://192.168.1.4:8124/#slim:noscan=1

/Erik
    Hello

Just to say that I did get it working. Not really sure how as the rule I put in the router firewall shouldn't have had any difference. Anyway, it works great - but also, it works if I am using SBS from my readyNas and streaming Spotify from my PC.

Two problems I have had (when connected to the ReadyNas SBS) are that my SB Boom doesn't have a "Tune to URL" menu option so I have to do it from the PC and also I can't find a way of saving the stream address to Favourites.

Anyway - it's agreat add-on

Mark

Sweden (only country where the clouds are interesting)
    Quote Originally Posted by markdibley View Post
    I can't find a way of saving the stream address to Favourites.
    Have you tried typing it in manually? That's what I did...
    // OppfinnarJocke
    SqueezeBox Duet, Controller FW 7.7.3 r16662, Player FW 77
    Main use: Deezer and Radio Paradise through MySB.com

Stream spotify sound

Thanks chp, works like a charm for me! I'm on Vista 32 bit.

I must try it.

Spotify Premium for a subscription of ú10 per month will allow streaming at 320Kb/s OGG

That could be extremely good.

Will Premium be accessible via SB?

http://www.techradar.com/news/intern...reaming-609758
    Brian

In Southampton: Quad 77 Integrated Amp - AVI Neutron 4
    In Nicosia: Quad 520f refreshed by Dada - Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers. Boom in conservatory.
    In both: Squeezebox Classic, Beresford Caiman DAC, Sony MDR-F1 Headphones

Brilliant! Works perfectly and is very easy to set up. This will keep me very happy until an official plugin is available - thanks!

Metadata

Quote Originally Posted by chp View Post
    I thought I'd share the fruits of my labour here... I have written a small drop-in wrapper utility that will allow you to stream among other things Spotify (anything that uses the first DirectSound API basically) as MP3 (with metadata).
    This is really cool. Thanks for the hard work!

I don't seem to get any metadata, however. Which metadata is supposed to be streamed?