Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Announce: New Squeezeslave 0.9 Release available on sourceforge

*** Version 1.1 released May 15, 2011. ***

Squeezeslave 0.9-133 is now available at

http://sourceforge.net/projects/soft...slave-0.9.133/

Direct Download
    Windows 32-bit Direct Sound and ASIO
    Mac OSX 32-bit PowerPC and Intel *Updated with workaround for 10.6.3 curses library bug.
    Solaris 9 32-bit SPARC/Solaris 10 64-bit SPARC/Solaris 10 32/64-bit Intel
    Linux v2.6 kernel Pentium II or better 32/64-bit ALSA, Pulseaudio and OSS
    Linux v2.4 kernel Pentium II or better 32-bit ALSA and OSS
    Linux v2.4 Pentium MXX or better OSS statically linked

What's new in Squeezeslave 0.9-133

Fix for bug 14740 squeezeslave becomes unresponsive when playing remote streams with SBS 7.4r28009 and above.
    Thanks to Adrian Smith for the patch.

You can now interact with squeezeslave via the keyboard and control the player like the slimp3, sb2/3 and boom hardware players on all platforms. Note that bit mapped graphics are not available, only text characters can be displayed. Requires SBS v7.4 r26720+. 7.2/7.3 server patches are supplied in the binary package files. See -D and -w options for usage details.

LIRC and LCDd features are currently NOT available in the win32 release.

This screen shot is an 80x4 command prompt window running squeezeslave with these parameters.
    Code:
    squeezeslave.exe -r15 -Ysqueezeslave.log -D -w78
    Key mappings are listed in the --help/-h information as well.

Code:
    Keyboard         Remote

0-9              0-9
    Insert           Add               
    Cursor Keys      Arrows
    >,<              Fwd,Rew
    Home             Home
    End              Now Playing
    Space or P       Pause
    Enter            Play
    Q                Quit
    R                Repeat
    S                Shuffle
    ?                Search
    B                Browse
    F                Favourites
    %                Size
    Z                Sleep
    +,-              Vol up,down
    The displayed information can be changed in the player settings for the squeezeslave player.

Added squeezebox server --port/-P option.

Mono audio file and stream support added for FLAC, PCM and MP3. OGG still exhibits the "chipmunk" effect. Stream format supported is still only 44.1KHz 16-bit.

Removed obsolete --playerid/-e option.

Merged DAEMONIZE and INTERACTIVE options to remove the need to build separate binaries.

New OpenSolaris Intel binary included in the solaris package.

What changed in Squeezeslave 0.9-95

Added pre-check to audio device listing -L option to confirm device supports 44.1KHz, 16-bit, 2 channel audio playback.
    If not, the device is not listed in Output Devices.
    The -o<device> option still allows you to select any device number, but the subsequent audio device open call will most likely fail.

Fixed a solaris segmentation fault in Pa_QueryDevice audioctl device name creation.

Fixed a segmentation fault in the mp3 decoder.

All binaries use the r1420 development version of the portaudio library, except the Solaris and Linux v2.4.
    A version using the stable portaudio library is also included, those filenames that end in -pastable.

An ASIO version is now included in the win32 zip file.

Makefiles now build all required support libraries; portaudio, flac, ogg, vorbis and mad.
    There are Linux PPC Makefiles available in the source repository to build squeezeslave for PS3 and Linux based Macs.

If you have problems with the precompiled binaries for linux, please checkout the source and build yourself.
    There have been many issues lately with system libraries and the linux binaries that have been solved by building your own.

Linux, NetBSD, FreeBSD and Windows build instructions are on the wiki.

Replay gain now supported with Squeezecenter v7.4 r26720 or later. Positive dB replay gain values are ignored to prevent clipping. Patches are included for squeezecenter 7.3.3 and 7.2.2 running on linux/solaris. Enabling replay gain for a squeezeslave player without the appropriate patch applied to squeezecenter is not recommended or supported.

Slimp3 style display and keyboard support for linux with Squeezecenter v7.4 r26720 or later. Support for External LCD displays and IR remotes are provided using LCDd and lirc respectively (linux only). A .lircrc config file for the slimdevices remote is included. See --help for details. Patches are included for squeezecenter 7.3.3 and 7.2.2 running on linux/solaris.

Thanks to Adrian Smith for getting the display and replay gain changes into Squeezecenter 7.4.

Stream position reporting no longer resets to zero after a pause/unpause.

--oldplayer/-O option has been removed as the latest versions of Squeezecenter's softsqueeze playertype fails to advance to the next track in the playlist. The --playerid/-e option can be used to force squeezeslave to connect using the softsqueeze player type if needed.

--debuglog/-Y option added to send all message to the given filename instead of the current display. Useful when running squeezeslave in interactive (display) mode to keep any error messages from corrupting the display output.

You can browse the source here or download it with subversion.
    Code:
    svn checkout http://squeezeslave.googlecode.com/svn/squeezeslave/trunk/squeezeslave
    Known Bugs

OSX systems can take up to 20 seconds to enter sleep mode when running squeezeslave under launchctl.

If squeezeslave is playing when sleep mode is activated, no audio will be heard after system resume. Stop and restart the player from the web gui to restore audio.

Playing an ogg or mp3 file with a duration of less than 30 seconds as the first track in a playlist prevents switching to the next track in the playlist. You need to advance to the next track manually. This bug appears to be deeply rooted in the buffering code. See the TODO file in the source tree for more info.

Changing playlist after pausing causes the playback of a short piece of the previously playing song at pause before the new playlist begins.
    Last edited by ralphy; 2011-05-15 at 04:03. Reason: 1.1 released

Segmentation fault with FLAC??

Firstly, thanks for the continued efforts in maintaining squeezeslave.

I've just upgraded to 0.9 and can no longer play FLAC files. MP3 is fine. My current work-around is to enforce bitrate limiting to force an MP3 transcode on the server, but that rather defeats the object of having FLAC files in the first place!

The windows binary download works fine. But on Linux (gentoo) it seg faults. I'm running linux26-alsa. I've tried with and without the display support, no difference.

I've also tried a new MAC address (and using the same mac that worked on the windows version - just in case!).

The debug output is:
    shed jive # ~/squeeze/squeezeslave/squeezeslave/bin/squeezeslave-alsa -m 00:00:00:10:10:20 -d slimaudio_output -d slimaudio_output_v -d slimaudio_decoder -d slimaudio_decoder_v shed
    slimaudio_output_init: PortAudio initialized
    decoder_thread: STREAM_STOPPED first_time:1
    paDeviceInfo->maxOutputChannels 2
    paDeviceInfo->defaultHighOutputLatency 0
    paDeviceInfo->defaultLowhOutputLatency 0
    paDeviceInfo->defaultSampleRate 44100.000000
    Mixer: /dev/mixer1
    Mixer: /dev/mixer
    Mixer explicitly disabled.
    Px_mixer = (nil)
    output_thread STOPPED: 0
    output_thread PAUSED: 0
    slimaudio_output_disconnect: state=7
    audg cmd: left_gain:3584 right_gain:3584 volume:-0.054688 old_left_gain:46 old_right_gain:46 vol_adjust:0.054688 replay_gain:-1.000000 start_replay_gain:1.000000 preamp:255 digital_volume_control:1
    slimaudio_decoder_connect
    slimaudio_output_connect: state=7
    audg cmd: left_gain:3584 right_gain:3584 volume:0.054688 old_left_gain:46 old_right_gain:46 vol_adjust:0.054688 replay_gain:1.000000 start_replay_gain:1.000000 preamp:255 digital_volume_control:1
    audg cmd: left_gain:3584 right_gain:3584 volume:0.054688 old_left_gain:46 old_right_gain:46 vol_adjust:0.054688 replay_gain:1.000000 start_replay_gain:1.000000 preamp:255 digital_volume_control:1
    output_thread BUFFERING: 0
    decoder_thread: STREAM_PLAYING type f
    slimaudio_decoder_flac_process: start
    flac_read_callback state=3
    flac channels: 2
    flac sample_rate: 44100
    flac bits_per_sample: 16
    Segmentation fault
    Adding some extra debug lines myself, it appears to crash on the following line of slimaudio_decoder_flac.c:
    Code:
          FLAC__bool b = FLAC__stream_decoder_process_until_end_of_stream(audio->flac_decoder);
    I'm very much outside my knowledge in FLAC API's, and google is being less than helpful!

I'm thinking its an incompatibility with my libFLAC, but v1.2.1 seems normal?

Any suggestions?

OK, so I answered my own question

My point about library incompatibility got me thinking. If I link against the library that ships with squeezeplay, instead of my system library, it works!

The include files are identical, but that must be something about my system library it doesn't like.

Is there any reason that the display-feature is not included in the amd64-version?

No, other than I never compiled an interactive amd 64bit version.

The latest source has a makefile called makefile.linux26-i64-alsa-display to build an display enabled SS.

You'll need to have ncurses and lirc_client libraries installed for a successful build.

Please use -r80 or older and not the current revision as I've run into some problems with the latest changes.

I've backed out the problematic changes committed at r81. See r82 details for more info.

Sorry about not getting back to this. I managed to compile r30, and it works fine. There was however alot of include related issues. Basically I had to install dev-packages for ogg, vorbis, and flac, and then manually move some library files. Don't know whether this is a real issue oh not. It was a quick and dirty workaround for me.

Glad to hear you got it working.

I've recently refactored the makefiles to build all required support libraries when building squeezeslave. It has solved many issues people had been having with builds but now on slow systems it takes much longer to compile. For this reason, I've left the original i586 makefiles which expect the system to already have the dev packages installed.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I've left the original i586 makefiles which expect the system to already have the dev packages installed.
    I did use the i64-alsa-display-version...

Another things. A year ago or so, I was able to get multiplexing working by using the alsa-oss wrapper. In the meantime Ubuntu has changed to pulseaudio and squeezeslave has also undergone big changes. The net result is that even with padsp, which is the pulseaudio wrapper equivalent of alsa-oss, I can no longer get multiplexing working. Do you have any hints on this?

libportaudio wasapi?

Hey Ralphy, I use squeezeslave everyday on linux and win32, it is indespensible for me.

You commented earlier in another post that ASIO was coming to win32 which is excellent. Does libportaudio also have support for WASAPI? That would be the ultimate in bit-matched playback for windows correct?