Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Unhappy "Unable to play file type" error QNAP 109/SS

Someone please help as im going mad here!

I have successfully installed Squeeze centre 7.3.2 onto my QNAP (followed their instructions), and moved my iTunes library onto the QNAP (again followed iTunes instruction for moving folder etc etc).

I can see all my songs on the SC from the Qnap but when i try and play i just get the above message.

I'll admit im way out of my IT depth here so please be gentle and kind, the moved files (if this helps) as mpeg4audio(remote) but the original iTunes were AAC.

Any help would be great, cheers!!

Quote Originally Posted by le_cockeral View Post
    Someone please help as im going mad here!

I have successfully installed Squeeze centre 7.3.2 onto my QNAP (followed their instructions), and moved my iTunes library onto the QNAP (again followed iTunes instruction for moving folder etc etc).

I can see all my songs on the SC from the Qnap but when i try and play i just get the above message.

I'll admit im way out of my IT depth here so please be gentle and kind, the moved files (if this helps) as mpeg4audio(remote) but the original iTunes were AAC.

Any help would be great, cheers!!
    Sounds like you music collection is in aac, which is a codec that is not supported by the Squeezebox.

It is also possible that the music you had in Itunes as Digital Rights Management which would be an additional problem.

Assuming that you files are not DRM protected, then I can think of 3 options.

1: Install MPlayer, and configure it for aac playback. This is a little technical, plus it quite a bit of processing power. I found on my Qnap it played back aac files OK, after a little stuttering at the start.
    Actually if you are using SSODS, it already has a copy of Mpayer, it should be just a matter of configuring it.
    This page may be of some help:
    http://oinkzwurgl.org/ssods_faq#toc15

2: Convert you music from aac, to flac.

3: Re rip your CDs, to Flac or MP3 format.

Smile

Hi,
    Thanks for the help here..Ive think Ive cracked it...
    I converted all my files in iTunes to MP3 format (it was set to import all to ACC)...anyhow, once this was done and the old AAC ones (luckily most of my library is not bought from iTunes and protected) were binned the little beast is working a treat...bliss!!
    Thanks again Richard.