Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Converting mp3 to flac from HDD

I have quite a bit of music on my external HDD and want to know if I can convert it to flac ..I use EAC ..but it alwayas asks me for the disk..Surely if I downlaod music it can be converted?..

Thanks in advance for your help

Peter

May I ask why you want to convert mp3 to FLAC? You won't be adding any quality.

Flac isnt better quality?

Yes, FLAC is better quality, but when your MP3s were compressed a lot of audio data was thrown away. As in gone forever. Converting it to FLAC will only exactly reproduce what you have in the MP3. As an analogy, consider putting a photograph in your jeans pocket, and then putting your jeans in the laundry. When you take the jeans out the photo will look like hell. And it will still look like hell if you try to take a photo of the photo with 100 megapixel digital camera.

To get the benefits of FLAC or any other lossless codec, you need to encode from the original lossless source.

Many thanks for your reply..I didnt know that..I will need to dig out some cds to convert and listen too the rest from my HDD in mp3 format..hopefully I will get a Squeezebox Classic in the future and be able to listen too my music from that..Just now I am using SoftSqeeze software version..

Peter