Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphpnj View Post
    Good point but you're just repeating what I wrote in post #16 above.
    Your my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by ralphpnj View Post
    Just wanted to thank you for pointing us at this program, which I've just downloaded to try out. This is the first program I've tried that has successfully ripped the LPCM track from Roger Waters' "In The Flesh" DVD.

The LPCM on this disc is some peculiar flavour of 20-bit without any padding - as far as I could make out, each sample occupies exactly 2 bytes and 1 nibble. After extracting it using other tools, I never found any audio editor that could make sense of it. DVD Audio Extractor was able to produce standard 16 and 24 bit versions right out of the box. Kudos to its author.
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A

Works great

Thanks Ralph, this was great. I had done this before but had to jump through so many hoops to get it to work. This program does a great job. The only bad thing I guess is that have to type all the titles in. To bad it can't get those. You do have to count the tracks because I found out it left an announcement track off. Which was fine but I had typed the titles from the jacket and realized at the end I was short a title.
    If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use is the rule.

HTTP://www.last.fm/user/nonreality

Quote Originally Posted by Nonreality View Post
    Thanks Ralph, this was great. I had done this before but had to jump through so many hoops to get it to work. This program does a great job. The only bad thing I guess is that have to type all the titles in. To bad it can't get those. You do have to count the tracks because I found out it left an announcement track off. Which was fine but I had typed the titles from the jacket and realized at the end I was short a title.
    To get the track titles I usually go to Amazon and look for some type of track listing, which is usually buried somewhere in the product description. I do a copy and paste and make a track list text file. I then use a file renaming program to rename the files enmass and finally I run a tag editor to retag the files. Sounds like a lot of work but it sure beats retyping all the song names.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

Using MP3Tags 'Tag sources' options allowed tagging of rips from most of my music dvds, albeit sometimes with a bit of patience required to track down the most appropriate source. Freedb seemed to work best.

Thanks from me too, Ralph; really useful and intuitive software.

I was pleased to find that quite a few dvd-audio discs contained files that could be ripped to 24-bit/48 kHz flacs that sound excellent on a SB.

In case anyone is interested, rippable dvd-a media included: Mike Oldfield, Tubular Bells 2003; ELP, Brain Salad Surgery; Yes, Fragile; and the Naxos recording of Holst's The Planets + Mystic Trumpeter.

But no luck with Grateful Dead, American Beauty, or Deep Purple, Machine Head.

Quote Originally Posted by ncpl View Post
    You whet my appetite with the 5.1 encoded flac files however. I have this from a few DTS CD's that I have and they work well.

Is the info required for that searchable on this forum ?
    All the instructions are in this thread:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19260

Basically, you rip the AC3 or DTS files from the DVD, then run a special conversion utility on them and finally package them up as FLACs. Your SB can pass the AC3/DTS data straight through to your amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter314 View Post
    Thanks from me too, Ralph; really useful and intuitive software.

I was pleased to find that quite a few dvd-audio discs contained files that could be ripped to 24-bit/48 kHz flacs that sound excellent on a SB.

In case anyone is interested, rippable dvd-a media included: Mike Oldfield, Tubular Bells 2003; ELP, Brain Salad Surgery; Yes, Fragile; and the Naxos recording of Holst's The Planets + Mystic Trumpeter.

But no luck with Grateful Dead, American Beauty, or Deep Purple, Machine Head.
    From what I understand, the Squeezebox will not play 24bit files natively, it converts it to 16bit/44 or /48 and plays it whearas the Transporter will play hires files natively.
    So having 24/96 type files doesn't really buy you anything if your playing it thru your SB.

Quote Originally Posted by dakman View Post
    From what I understand, the Squeezebox will not play 24bit files natively, it converts it to 16bit/44 or /48 and plays it whearas the Transporter will play hires files natively.
    So having 24/96 type files doesn't really buy you anything if your playing it thru your SB.
    Squeezeboxes will play up to 24/48 without conversion. Anything higher than 48kHz has to be downsampled in SC. Transporter will play up to 24/96 without conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by dakman View Post
    24 are native as radish said and the 24/96 are converted on the fly and it works very good now in the new versions of SC. I still convert mine down to 24/48 just so it's less overhead on my PC while playing. Not sure if it was needed on mine but for some computers it would probably be a good idea to convert them. I use dbpoweramp for the converion.
    If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use is the rule.

HTTP://www.last.fm/user/nonreality