Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Rip Audio Tracks From DVD Music Videos

I would like to rip the audio tracks from my collection of DVD video music concerts so that I can add them to my SB Duet/PC based music server. I have seen software such as "DVD Audio Ripper", which I (assume) will do the task. However, I notice that the aforementioned software does not list FLAC as a file format. It does however list WAV - I suppose I can utilize WAV files in my library of FLAC files??

Questions: Can I in fact rip DVD audio tracks from DVD video concerts, and is there a way of doing this task in a FLAC format - or, is there a viable alternative (WAV...etc.).

Thank you.

Well, you could just compress to FLAC later, using a separate program. EAC, dBpowerAMP, foobar, the FLAC front-end and the FLAC encoder itself can do this.
    Current: SB2, Transporter, Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), SBC (early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta), Squeezebox Touch (late beta)
    Sold: SB3, Duet

"Well, you could just compress to FLAC later, using a separate program. EAC, dBpowerAMP, foobar, the FLAC front-end and the FLAC encoder itself can do this."

Okay. I am currently using EAC, so this won't be a problem. Let me get this atraight...I need to utilize a specific software- something like "DVD Audio Ripper" to rip the audio tracks from my DVDs (which will be in WAV), then I need to compress those WAV files via EAC. But, how do I export the Wav files (ripped via "...DVD Ripper") to EAC? I am only familiar with using EAC to rip directly from my CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by timequest View Post
    But, how do I export the Wav files (ripped via "...DVD Ripper") to EAC? I am only familiar with using EAC to rip directly from my CDs.
    Just select (in EAC) Tools - Compress WAVs...

The FLAC front-end or foobar might be better here, they can convert a whole batch of files at once. EAC can only convert one file at a time.

Naming and tagging will be an issue. You will likely have to do this manually using a tagging tool like Mp3tag, which works on FLACs.
    Current: SB2, Transporter, Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), SBC (early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta), Squeezebox Touch (late beta)

"Just select (in EAC) Tools - Compress WAVs..."

Okay...I'm probably just being dense, that and I'm not looking at EAC right now, but I'll need to export the ripped DVD music files to EAC. I've never exported anything to EAC before; I have only used EAC to rip directly from CDs. So let me get this straight, I cannot use EAC to rip the audio only from DVDs, but I can use other software to do so, which will be done in WAV. Once I have utilized the "other" software to rip the DVD audio files to WAV, I will then use EAC to compress those WAV files to FLAC. Okay...I'll need to export the WAV files to EAC - How?

Or...is there any software out there that will rip audio from DVD in FLAC????

Okay...I'll need to export the WAV files to EAC - How?
    The DVD ripping software will simply save the files as WAVs somewhere on your hard drive, "file.wav". You open them in EAC when you select the Tools - Compress WAVs... option - it'll bring up the standard "Open File" dialog box.

No offense, but this can be a pretty complicated process and you're getting tripped up at the easiest part. I did this using old/free software and it was very involved - load DVD - select a whole series of obscure options - demux LPCM track - get .ac3 file + offset. Enter .ac3 file and offset into another program, downmix multichannel to 2 channel...then you get a WAV as long as the DVD. Break the WAV up into tracks using another program, name each one, compress each one, then tag each one using yet another program. It was a long, complicated, laborious process. Are you sure you know what you're getting into?

Perhaps more modern software is easier.

Or...is there any software out there that will rip audio from DVD in FLAC????
    Try DVD Audio Extractor: http://www.castudio.org/dvdaudioextractor/

The program supports ripping directly to 2 channel (stereo) flac files.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

No...I don't know what I'm getting in to!!! However, all I ever need is a "shove" in the right direction, and then it's easy for me to figure things out. In any event, it sounds like I might want to avoid using EAC to compress the DVD audio WAV files. ralphpnj, "DVD Audio Extractor" sounds like the way to go.

Thank you both, for your responses and help.

Wow…DVD Audio Extractor works like a charm. Easy and convenient…thanks….

Wow…DVD Audio Extractor works like a charm. Easy and convenient…thanks….
    You're most welcome. Glad to be of service. Enjoy and use wisely.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm