Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

5 watt SqueezeCenter Server?

Found Here: http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/41525/136/

The device is called the SheevaPlug, and is powered by this Kirkwood system-on-chip (SoC) platform which contains a 1.2 GHz CPU, 512 MB Flash, 512 MB DRAM, Gigabit Ethernet and USB 2.0 support, and comes with a traditional array of open-source Linux 2.6-based kernel applications to choose from. The entire computer exists inside this tiny chip, with only power supply and interface hardware surrounding it inside the plug form factor.
    Does it have enough horsepower to run SqueezeCenter? It would be perfect. Telnet in to configure/install. Low power...

Good idea, stupid design. Bulky power supplies are annoying enough, but that plugin-the-wall PC will require a dedicated single way extension cord. Why not have a short 50cm cable from the unit to a plug? I can see that brick falling out of wall sockets also, or putting much strain on the socket.

I agree, great concept.

If Logitech/Slimdevices would make something like that with SC installed on it (and a cord to plug it into the wall instead of the device plugin into the wall) and sell it for the same price point, I think they'd get more folks on board.

All a user would have to do is plug in a USB HDD or point it at a music on a network share. It would take a lot of the intimidation factor out of having a "PC free" setup.
    John
    Server: Thecus N5200 Pro
    Players: 1 SB3, 5 Booms, 3 Duets (9 players total)

Seems bizarre and rather a shame that it doesn't do Ethernet-over-mains (Homeplug, or whatever), considering that it's a wall-wart that plugs directly into an outlet. However, I guess that's because that wouldn't fit in the enclosure, along with the PC.
    Last edited by Furry; 2009-02-25 at 12:37.
    Living room: SB Touch, with coax to: Marantz PM7005, TDL RTL3 speakers.
    Dining room: SB Boom.
    Kitchen: SB Radio (1/3), with battery.
    Bedroom 1: SB Radio (2/3), no battery.
    Bedroom 2: SB3 (1/2), AE 2.1. speakers.
    Bedroom 3: Slim Devices SB3 (2/2), Edirol MA-15D powered monitors.
    Bathroom: SB Radio (3/3) (in white), with (and running on) battery.
    Server: LMS v7.9.1 on WSE 2012 R2, HP Proliant Gen8 G1610T, 2.3GHz, 8GB.

Does it have enough horsepower to run SqueezeCenter? It would be perfect. Telnet in to configure/install. Low power...
    The question still remains? Will it Squeeze?