Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Feature Request: automatic cover download for the controller

Hi

I'm wondering that just a pretty expensive "remote control" like the suqeezebox controller does not have the feature for the automatic cover download from internet. Every free application like I-tunes or Windows Media Player have this option.

I would like to send a feature request to integrate this feature in a further squeezebox controller release or the squeeze center itself.

And yes I know that I manually can download the covers with 3rd party tools, but I will not pay that much for a remote control which does not provide such a feature.

Are there any plans for this feature, or is there probably a free squezee center plugin providing this function? (I did not find anything under the plugins section.)

I really like my different squeezeboxes, transporters etc. and this is really the first feature I'm missing since years.

Best regards,
    Chris

Best regards,
    Chris

The FindArt V2.0 plugin now supports the controller - it searches for art on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by jaerc View Post
    Hi

I'm wondering that just a pretty expensive "remote control" like the suqeezebox controller does not have the feature for the automatic cover download from internet. Every free application like I-tunes or Windows Media Player have this option.

I would like to send a feature request to integrate this feature in a further squeezebox controller release or the squeeze center itself.

And yes I know that I manually can download the covers with 3rd party tools, but I will not pay that much for a remote control which does not provide such a feature.

Are there any plans for this feature, or is there probably a free squezee center plugin providing this function? (I did not find anything under the plugins section.)

I really like my different squeezeboxes, transporters etc. and this is really the first feature I'm missing since years.
    And what do you propose the Controller do with the album art after downloading it and displaying it? By deliberate design, SC will not write to your music library. In that respect it is very different from iTunes and WMP. It's a smart design feature that I very much appreciate.

So saving the album art in your music folder or embedding it in the track isn't likely to be option. Are you suggesting that the Controller go out and get the art every time you bring up the album, basically throwing it away after the album/track has played?

I expect a mechanism that sc look if a cover has already benn downloaded and if not download and save it for further using.

It's quite hard from a non technical perspective to explain this to a customer.
    I know that sc works different then other players, but when you provide a cover function on the controller, then there must be an automatic cover function for non technical users.

You assume there is only one cover per album - there are often a number of covers for the same album depending on country ,edition, format etc.

I wrote FindArt because the bulk cover art downloader I used made many choices that weren't quite right - FindArt allows you topreview and choose a cover from the controller.

it might be possible, that they use the same cover mechanism like wmp or i-tunes? I never had such issues using my wmp today, but I don't know where wmp gets the covers.

I just have seen, that the Findart Plugin is for small repositories only??
    I have approx 700 CD's. Are there any risks to use the plugin in this case?

Amarok on Linux uses Amazon to provide its cover art.

Applications such as WMP and iTunes also rip CDs and when you rip they usually also download the art.

Until last year - SC users mainly used the SB VFD display which cannot show cover art so it wasn't a significant issue. The controller has changed that situation. Also since SC expects already ripped, tagged and catalogued CDs/tracks and I think SC assumes that if you decided not to have cover art with your ripped music, then it is the user choice. Again if this assumption is true - it may need to be reconsidered. But consider other users views, at the momemnt there is a forum thread and a feature request for an option not to show art work on the controller.

How do you get your ripped music and does your source not provide cover art ?

I just have seen, that the Findart Plugin is for small repositories only??
    I have approx 700 CD's. Are there any risks to use the plugin in this case?
    There is no risk except since you add art one album at a time - it could take a while. IT makes the assumption there is an album per folder/directory. If all your tracks are in one folder there you will have to find another solution.

A lot of users use a bulk art importer which goes through your albums in one go and add art to each folder. Search the forum for details as the relevant app depends on your OS.

Windows Media Player loads the cover also when I just play a cd which is not ripped. Then I'd say in this case the tool acts like sc.

I use Exact Audio Copy and have ripped all my cd's with the flac fileformat.
    This tool itself does not provide a cover function.
    I have 1 squeezbox, 1 boom and a transporter and yes they cannot show covers, this was the reason why I never took care about covers.

When I'm looking to a new remote control like the controller which is pretty expensive, i wanna have an automatic cover function when the controller can display covers. Otherwise I'd never pay 350 swiss francs for such a device.

I understand your situation that sc is just a player and not a ripper from a technical perspective. But then there should never be a cover option on the controller.

There are not only tekkies around looking for such devices, and when I have to look for a 3rd party tool and spend hours until I get the right covers, I just can say the controllers is not worth the huge price and most of the customers will be unsatisfied.