Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 383
  1. #1
    Robin Bowes
    Guest

    Net::UDAP - SqueezeBox Receiver configuration tool

    Hi all,

    Net::UDAP is a Perl module to configure the SqueezeBox Receiver (SBR)
    from a PC, i.e. without requiring a SqueezeBox Controller (SBC).

    The project homepage is here:

    http://projects.robinbowes.com/Net-UDAP

    Net::UDAP was originally released in June 2008 and there have been no
    significant changes since then. However, I've recently updated the
    documentation so thought I'd post this announcement in case anyone tried
    it previously but got stuck for whatever reason.

    I've also fixed the registration system on the website so it is now
    possible to register, login, and create support tickets. You could even
    go completely crazy and add/improve the doucmenation by editing the wiki!

    Net::UDAP is free software, but allow me to draw your attention to my
    Paypal donnation link:

    http://projects.robinbowes.com/Net-U...tart#Donations



    Enjoy!

    R.


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,283

    Net::UDAP - SqueezeBox Receiver configuration tool

    Excellent work, Robin!
    I'll check it out.

    IMHO LogiTech should make a handsome donation for your good work (and
    work they should've been doing themselves).
    How about 5 free Duets for each of your kids?

    Regards,
    Peter


  3. #3
    Robin Bowes
    Guest

    Net::UDAP - SqueezeBox Receiver configuration tool

    Peter wrote:
    > Excellent work, Robin!
    > I'll check it out.
    >
    > IMHO LogiTech should make a handsome donation for your good work (and
    > work they should've been doing themselves).
    > How about 5 free Duets for each of your kids?


    Oh, I get my rewards, direct and indirect.

    For example, I start a new perl coding job on Monday 12th essentially on
    the back of my Net::UDAP code.

    So, I'm fairly happy.

    That's not to say that I wouldn't welcome more recompense, financial or
    otherwise

    R.


  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,283

    Net::UDAP - SqueezeBox Receiver configuration tool

    Robin Bowes wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Net::UDAP is a Perl module to configure the SqueezeBox Receiver (SBR)
    > from a PC, i.e. without requiring a SqueezeBox Controller (SBC).
    >
    > The project homepage is here:
    >
    > http://projects.robinbowes.com/Net-UDAP
    >
    > Net::UDAP was originally released in June 2008 and there have been no
    > significant changes since then. However, I've recently updated the
    > documentation so thought I'd post this announcement in case anyone tried
    > it previously but got stuck for whatever reason.
    >


    I've 'compiled' this version with perlapp from the Activestate Perl PDK.
    The resulting executable is a probably bit easier to user for the average
    SB user. You can put it up on the Net-UDAP page if you want.

    http://slim2lirc.myown.mailcan.com/udap_shell_1_0_0.exe

    Regards,
    Peter


  5. #5
    Robin Bowes
    Guest

    Net::UDAP - SqueezeBox Receiver configuration tool

    Peter wrote:

    > I've 'compiled' this version with perlapp from the Activestate Perl PDK.
    > The resulting executable is a probably bit easier to user for the average
    > SB user. You can put it up on the Net-UDAP page if you want.
    >
    > http://slim2lirc.myown.mailcan.com/udap_shell_1_0_0.exe


    Thanks for this.

    Any idea about the licensing implications? i.e. is it freely distributable?

    R.


  6. #6
    Robin Bowes
    Guest

    Net::UDAP - SqueezeBox Receiver configuration tool

    Robin Bowes wrote:
    > Peter wrote:
    >
    >> I've 'compiled' this version with perlapp from the Activestate Perl PDK.
    >> The resulting executable is a probably bit easier to user for the average
    >> SB user. You can put it up on the Net-UDAP page if you want.
    >>
    >> http://slim2lirc.myown.mailcan.com/udap_shell_1_0_0.exe

    >
    > Thanks for this.
    >
    > Any idea about the licensing implications? i.e. is it freely distributable?


    Hmmm, I get the variable "not initialised" msgs when I ran this the
    first time, but it was OK with code direct from the RELEASE_1.0.0 tag
    and also the second time I ran this executable. I wonder what causes that?

    R.


  7. #7
    Senior Member Howard Passman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,086

    Peter....

    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Robin Bowes wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Net::UDAP is a Perl module to configure the SqueezeBox Receiver (SBR)
    > from a PC, i.e. without requiring a SqueezeBox Controller (SBC).
    >
    > The project homepage is here:
    >
    > http://projects.robinbowes.com/Net-UDAP
    >
    > Net::UDAP was originally released in June 2008 and there have been no
    > significant changes since then. However, I've recently updated the
    > documentation so thought I'd post this announcement in case anyone tried
    > it previously but got stuck for whatever reason.
    >


    I've 'compiled' this version with perlapp from the Activestate Perl PDK.
    The resulting executable is a probably bit easier to user for the average
    SB user. You can put it up on the Net-UDAP page if you want.

    http://slim2lirc.myown.mailcan.com/udap_shell_1_0_0.exe

    Regards,
    Peter
    Hi Peter,

    I got your UI to work, but am not sure how to change parameters. I assumed "set" then the parameter name and then the value, but that wasn't it. Could you give us less technical folks a hint about how to change or set parameters.

    Also, it appears you have to reset the device to default in order to get in to it. If someone wanted to change one parameter is it possible for you to make is so we could "discover" a specific MAC address or ip?

    Thanks to you and Robin for all the work. My only comment is the folks that really need this (first time users of the SBR) probably won't be able to use the tool unless you come up with a much easier UI.

    Thanks,

    Howard
    Can I go home now?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,283

    Net::UDAP - SqueezeBox Receiver configuration tool

    Robin Bowes wrote:
    > Peter wrote:
    >
    >
    >> I've 'compiled' this version with perlapp from the Activestate Perl PDK.
    >> The resulting executable is a probably bit easier to user for the average
    >> SB user. You can put it up on the Net-UDAP page if you want.
    >>
    >> http://slim2lirc.myown.mailcan.com/udap_shell_1_0_0.exe
    >>

    >
    > Thanks for this.
    >
    > Any idea about the licensing implications? i.e. is it freely distributable?
    >


    I have a license for the compiler, so I can distribute the executable.
    That means I can share it with anyone I want. That's fairly standard for
    compilers. Perlapp isn't really a compiler though. It bundles the Perl
    compiler and the libraries used inside the exe-package and unpacks it
    all before running. That's why you'll notice that the start up time is
    slower because of the unpacking.

    I know the Logitech guys use perlapp for packaging SqueezeCenter, so
    they could have packed it for you too. Even better, they could also make
    an OS-X executable.

    Regards,
    Peter


  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,283

    Net::UDAP - SqueezeBox Receiver configuration tool

    Howard Passman wrote:
    > Hi Peter,
    >
    > I got your UI to work, but am not sure how to change parameters. I
    > assumed "set" then the parameter name and then the value, but that
    > wasn't it. Could you give us less technical folks a hint about how to
    > change or set parameters.
    >
    > Also, it appears you have to reset the device to default in order to
    > get in to it. If someone wanted to change one parameter is it possible
    > for you to make is so we could "discover" a specific MAC address or ip?
    >
    > Thanks to you and Robin for all the work. My only comment is the folks
    > that really need this (first time users of the SBR) probably won't be
    > able to use the tool unless you come up with a much easier UI.
    >


    Howard,

    I didn't create the UI, Robin deserves all credit for that. I just
    compiled the program in an easily distributable Windows exe format. I
    agree that the UI should (and could) be much easier. I could create a
    Windows wizard myzelf (with the wxPerl library) but I really don't have
    the time to spare. I also figure that this is really a task for the
    Logitech guys. I don't understand how they get away with selling the SBR
    as a separate product without providing a simple setup tool with it.
    Open Source does not mean you let your users do all the work.

    I can design one, though.
    - Start the wizard
    - A list of detected SBRs is displayed, select one
    - Q: Ethernet or Wireless

    Wireless:
    WEP or WPA?
    - Enter WEP/WPA key
    - Enter SSID

    Wireless/Ethernet:
    DHCP or manual?
    - Enter IP
    - Enter netmask
    - Enter gateway
    - Enter squeezecenter server

    - Save settings

    That wasn't so hard
    A few days work added to the stuff Robin already did.

    Regards,
    Peter



  10. #10
    Robin Bowes
    Guest

    Net::UDAP - SqueezeBox Receiver configuration tool

    Howard Passman wrote:
    > peter;381812 Wrote:
    >> Robin Bowes wrote:
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> Net::UDAP is a Perl module to configure the SqueezeBox Receiver (SBR)
    >>> from a PC, i.e. without requiring a SqueezeBox Controller (SBC).
    >>>
    >>> The project homepage is here:
    >>>
    >>> http://projects.robinbowes.com/Net-UDAP
    >>>
    >>> Net::UDAP was originally released in June 2008 and there have been no
    >>> significant changes since then. However, I've recently updated the
    >>> documentation so thought I'd post this announcement in case anyone

    >> tried
    >>> it previously but got stuck for whatever reason.
    >>>

    >> I've 'compiled' this version with perlapp from the Activestate Perl
    >> PDK.
    >> The resulting executable is a probably bit easier to user for the
    >> average
    >> SB user. You can put it up on the Net-UDAP page if you want.
    >>
    >> http://slim2lirc.myown.mailcan.com/udap_shell_1_0_0.exe
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Peter

    >
    > Hi Peter,
    >
    > I got your UI to work, but am not sure how to change parameters. I
    > assumed "set" then the parameter name and then the value, but that
    > wasn't it. Could you give us less technical folks a hint about how to
    > change or set parameters.


    Howard,

    There's a guide here:

    http://projects.robinbowes.com/Net-U...GettingStarted

    In a nutshell, you're right; setting/changing parameters is done, e.g.,
    like this:

    UDAP> discover
    UDAP> list
    # MAC Address Type Status
    == ================= ========== ===============
    1 00:04:20:16:05:8f squeezebox init
    UDAP> configure 1
    UDAP [1] (squeezebox 16058f)> set server_address=192.168.1.50
    UDAP [1] (squeezebox 16058f)> save_data

    > Also, it appears you have to reset the device to default in order to
    > get in to it. If someone wanted to change one parameter is it possible
    > for you to make is so we could "discover" a specific MAC address or ip?


    You don't have to reset the device - just put it in init mode, i.e.
    slow-blinking red LED.

    > Thanks to you and Robin for all the work. My only comment is the folks
    > that really need this (first time users of the SBR) probably won't be
    > able to use the tool unless you come up with a much easier UI.


    I initially started work on a SC plugin that does this - I ought to
    re-visit it and get it finished. Spare time is the issue...

    R.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •