Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Two newbie questions

1) I usually defrag my HDs pretty often. I've looked but can't find if this is also a good idea with the external USB HD (Western Digital)that I store my FLAC library on?

2) We like the Duet so much that my wife is asking if we can set one up on the boat. Would sure beat hauling CDs . . . I was thinking of adding an inverter, so getting 110 won't be a problem. I have a couple older computers I could take including an older laptop. The question is, do we need internet? Or is there someway to run without the web interface? TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D1 View Post
    1) I usually defrag my HDs pretty often. I've looked but can't find if this is also a good idea with the external USB HD (Western Digital)that I store my FLAC library on?
    Modern operating systems don't need defragging as much as older ones. Whether Windows counts as modern is another question (since Unix hasn't needed defragging since the 70's...) That said, a music store would need it less than a typical usage hard drive where files are constantly created and deleted... your external drive is mostly getting new files added.

2) We like the Duet so much that my wife is asking if we can set one up on the boat. Would sure beat hauling CDs . . . I was thinking of adding an inverter, so getting 110 won't be a problem. I have a couple older computers I could take including an older laptop. The question is, do we need internet? Or is there someway to run without the web interface? TIA
    It will always need a network.. it never needs the Internet. A single laptop, a crossover cable, and a Squeezebox... and you have a network.

Thank you! I was confused by seeing squeezecenter load as a webpage. I'll have to check out HOW to use it without the web interface.

Mike..

Hi Mike,

You would still use the web interface. You don't need Internet to put up a web page. SC provides the web pages.

Have fun on the boat..

Howard
    Can I go home now?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D1 View Post
    Thank you! I was confused by seeing squeezecenter load as a webpage. I'll have to check out HOW to use it without the web interface.
    The web page is served from whatever machine SC is running on. It sets that up by itself.

You can use it from the same machine by going to http://127.0.0.1:9000 ... 127.0.0.1 is 'localhost' or, in less geeky and more anthropomorphic terms, "me"

(Ie, the browser goes to "me port 9000", connecting to itself.. if you have other machines on the network, they would have to adjust, going to something like 192.168.1.2 or something.)

Even with just one computer and nothing connected to the network port, there is the "localhost" network. You actually have to remove all networking support to get rid of that, and it would no doubt break lots of applications.

You only need the internet to download the software initially and to listen to Net Radio type things.

Do you already have a marine/auto audio system on your boat? If you do, all that's missing is to connect your music collection, or a subset of it.

Easiest way to do that is with an ipod/MP3 player. Next easiest, or maybe as easy, use one of your laptops with music on it. Both of these approaches run on 12 volts DC, no need for inverter. Although, maybe a Duet would run on that too, that's far beyond my understanding of things.

I've always thought that besides requiring users to organize their music, the two main benefits of Duets and other SB products are 1)being able to put distance between the hardware and the listening room and 2) having a useful remote. Unless you have a very large boat, #1 would be N/A, so really all you're looking at is having a remote.

Since I will probably have an "extra" laptop, I think I'll use it. The boat already has a CD/DVD player with extra line inputs. Two of the reasons I might want to use Duet or Classic rather than Ipod are, I prefer keeping it all in FLAC, and related to that, I could just create a mirror HD of what I have at home. In fact, now that I think if it. This could also serve as a backup in a different location.

The inverter is no big deal, I'd need it to run the laptop for any length of time anyway.