Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

.m4a files not supported? QNAP and Duet

Thanks to the help of people on these forums (BoB in particular) I'm not delighted to be up and running with my new QNAP 109 II and Duet. However one rather strange thing has happened. I notice that I can no longer play .m4a files when streaming from the QNAP to my Duet. I'm not 100% sure if this has always been the case or if it only happened when I moved to the QNAP. I notice that the Duet page on the official site doesn't explicitly mention support for MPEG4, but I did a search on these forums and saw numerous threads that suggested others were playing those file types with no problems. Am I being daft here? Sorry - I'm really a novice about audio file types etc.

If there is a problem, I'm assuming I'll beed to re-encode all of these files as, say, mp3s? Any advice hugely appreciated.

Cripes, I just discovered the Ripping and Encoding section of these forums and found out that m4a isn't supported. Looks a bit over my head to get it sorted too. Think I'll just re-encode.
    Last edited by roaringlamb; 2008-11-15 at 02:16.

I had a few M4A (Apple lossless) files. I used an application called 'Easy CD-DA Extractor' to convert them to FLAC, all without problem. Should be no problem to convert to MP3 if that's what you want.

Despite its name, the app does a lot more than just ripping files and has a fairly comprehensive audio format converter. It comes with a free 30 day trial period, so you could use it to convert your files as necessary...

Here's a link: http://www.poikosoft.com/

Hope this helps
    Last edited by rperkin; 2008-11-15 at 21:10. Reason: Add link

Quote Originally Posted by roaringlamb View Post
    Cripes, I just discovered the Ripping and Encoding section of these forums and found out that m4a isn't supported. Looks a bit over my head to get it sorted too. Think I'll just re-encode.
    I've got mine set up to play m4a files containing aac or aac+. I don't know whether it can play apple lossless. It's basically a matter of using a plugin called MPlayer to decode the audio on the server.It is then streamed to your Squeezeboxes (preferably in WAV format).

I won't go into too much detail, as you have decided to re encode anyway. hint however, when I did it, I installed the Alien BBC plugin, as this uses MPlayer. I then just did some reconfiguration to set it up to decode aac/aac+.

Not sure exactly what would happen now though, as Alien BBC doesn't seem to work, presumably since the BBC changed their Web pages.

Richard.

Have a look at SSODS FAQ for a solution.

Not sure exactly what would happen now though, as Alien BBC doesn't seem to work, presumably since the BBC changed their Web pages.
    BBC have moved prgrams from "Listen Again" to iPlayer and is retiring old web site.

If you are on SC 7.x and in the UK, upgrade to 7.2.1 and install BBCiPlayer plugin - better audio and less load on server.

If you are on SC7.x then you can upgrade to AlienBBC 2.02 to get BBC on new iPlayer menus.

If you are still on ss6.5.x and AlienBBC 2.01 - then there is a iPlayer Addon for AlienBBC which will give access to "Listen Again" prograsm which are now available only from BBC iPlayer.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    If you are on SC 7.x and in the UK, upgrade to 7.2.1 and install BBCiPlayer plugin - better audio and less load on server.

If you are on SC7.x then you can upgrade to AlienBBC 2.02 to get BBC on new iPlayer menus.
    At the moment I'm still on 7.1. and haven't had time to upgrade yet. However since I've got some time off work comming at the end of the week, perhaps I'll give it a go then.

Although actually it isn't much of a priority for me. I've been putting the live BBC streams into playlists, and that method is working well for now.

Then there is the possibility that the BBC might change their web site, making the IPlayer Plugin break. So I'm not sure that I want to put too much effort into upgrading just for the IPlayer Plugin.

My main reason for having Alien BBC was to get aac playback working, and that part still works.

Richard.

then there is the possibility that the BBC might change their web site, making the IPlayer Plugin break.
    The BBCiPlayer plugin is separate from AlienBBC and is native MP3. It uses the BBC XML feeds and not the web pages and so is unaffected by web pages changes.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    The BBCiPlayer plugin is separate from AlienBBC and is native MP3. It uses the BBC XML feeds and not the web pages and so is unaffected by web pages changes.
    OK thanks, it's helpful to know that. However if I do upgrade, then I will still want to install Alien, simply because it is the easiest way to set up for aac/aac+ playback.

(unless of course somebody knows of an eassier plugin to use for aac/aac+)

Richard.

(unless of course somebody knows of an eassier plugin to use for aac/aac+)
    For 7.0,7.1 & 7.2 - the AACplus plugin (user still have install mplayer themselves)
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpo...4&postcount=19

The "plugin" only does AACplus as usually users setup aac to use either Quicktime or faad.

The AACplus pluginis not suitable for 7.3 as the conf file needs more control info.