Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ethernet or Wireless

Is there a setting which allows you to switch between a wired or wireless connection to a SB receiver?

I can see a setting when initially setting up your SB Duet, but not one to amend it afterwards?

Quote Originally Posted by KingTubby View Post
    Is there a setting which allows you to switch between a wired or wireless connection to a SB receiver?

I can see a setting when initially setting up your SB Duet, but not one to amend it afterwards?
    And is it possible on an SB3?

I can see nothing in the menu structure? Maybe a plugin to modify menus?

But if the WiFi is secure, does it make any difference?
    Brian

In Southampton: Quad 77 Integrated Amp - AVI Neutron 4
    In Nicosia: Quad 520f refreshed by Dada - Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers. Boom in conservatory.
    In both: Squeezebox Classic, Beresford Caiman DAC, Sony MDR-F1 Headphones

I'm interested in forcing my receiver to go ethernet as my wireless connection is constantly dropping out.

On my SB3, I held down the back button on my remote and was presented with a sort of connection menu. I don't remember the exact options/layout, but I know I was presented with a choice of wireless or wired NIC. Just plugging in a network cable did not automatically switch me from wireless to wired.

As KingTubby said - I had to switch from wireless to wired due to signal strength issues. Also becuase I didn't want anyone sniffing all my FLAC traffic. ;-)
    A Touch + Cambridge DAC Magic has replaced my venerable SB3. May it rest in peace.

http://www.last.fm/user/androidtopp

Quote Originally Posted by androidtopp View Post
    On my SB3, I held down the back button on my remote and was presented with a sort of connection menu....
    hmm tried that, doesnt seem to work on a duet controller

Another question. Am I correct in saying in that if I have an ethernet cable plugged in the wireless signal strength shown under the information menu item ISNT an indication of ethernet signal strength??

Now I'm really confused. I turned off my wireless network to check that my receiver was picking up my ethernet signal. Logic suggests that if I turn off my wireless network I shouldnt be able to use my controller to view, fast forward my music. But I can!??!
    Does the receiver transmit too? And is my controller picking that wireless signal up???

hmm tried that, doesnt seem to work on a duet controller

Another question. Am I correct in saying in that if I have an ethernet cable plugged in the wireless signal strength shown under the information menu item ISNT an indication of ethernet signal strength??
    If you plug in an ethernet cable to an SB3 the wi-fi card is disabled/turned off and yes ... signal strength is meaningless in this scenario.
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

I'm interested in forcing my receiver to go ethernet as my wireless connection is constantly dropping out.
    To do this, you need to go through the setup on the receiver again with an ethernet cable connected to it.

First, connect the ethernet cable to the duet receiver.
    Then, hold down the button on the front for 10 seconds or so.
    When you let go, it should flash red quickly then slowly.
    Standing in front of it with the controller, go into the menu to switch to players. You should see a player listed that is numbers. The numbers represent the last digits of the mac of the player.
    Click on it and go through the setup.

Once you complete the setup, you are configured for ethernet on the SBR.
    Rich
    ---------
    Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.
    Current library stats: 40,810 songs, 3,153 albums, 582 artists.
    http://www.last.fm/user/maggior

Cheers guys for all the replies. I seem to be connected up via a homeplug/ethernet combo and have turned my wireless connection off. But...i can still use my controller!!

If someone could explain that I would be really impressed

Cheers guys for all the replies. I seem to be connected up via a homeplug/ethernet combo and have turned my wireless connection off. But...i can still use my controller!!

If someone could explain that I would be really impressed
    I thought the whole idea of the controller was that it could talk directly to the SBR via wi-fi (ie NOT via your router) The receiver has to be able to connect to the router...obviously!
    Last edited by Phil Leigh; 2008-11-11 at 09:29.
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.