Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Powered Speakers Recommendations

Any powered speaker recommendations for direct connection from a SB Classic? I've been using the AudioEngine A2s on my desktop and am blown away by their accuracy.

Just wondering about room-filling alternatives. Are the AudioEngine 5 series worth considering? Any other recommendations?

Thanks.

as stated often before, the A5s represent one of the most unique audiophile level price-value propositions out there. the sound quality is beyond amazing for a $400 speaker. there are some others out there that are potentially just as great, but they all seem to cost a bit more. the nht M00 wiyth the matching NYT subqoofer also sound very sweep, but the combo runs over $600 and i find it decidedly less musical.

and i am not sure what happened to acoustic energey, they had a set called the Aego M that was also mindblwoing at the price, i have it at work. but people who tried buying it these days tell me it's become impossible to find.

Another satisfied A5 user

I use in my home office driven by a good quality PCI audio card. I mostly listen in the near field (3' away from the speakers.) I sometimes listen from farther away or from the next room. I think they are very enjoyable and a great bargain.

Some suggestions:

- A5s have a rear port. They need to be at least 4" away from the wall behind them. (More distance might be better. Right now, placing mine 4" from the rear wall is convenient.) Bass will be too heavy and boomy if they are too close to the rear wall.

- The left A5 has a volume control on the front and the on-off switch on the back. It is convenient to leave the A5s on and to control volume with the knob on the left A5.

- A5s have auto-sensing to let them go into a low power mode after they have been idle for a few minutes. The auto-sensing works better if the input level is high. So set the volume in the source to a high level and use the A5 volume control to reduce the level.

- The auto-sensing doesn't work instantly. A fraction of a second of music is not audible when the A5s wait up after being in low-power mode. If this is a show-stopper for you, the A5s may not be the right choice.

- Like most speakers, the A5s frequency response varies depending on your position relative to the tweeter axis. be prepared to place them higher or lower to get best results. (or tilt them.)

Bill

Audio Engine A5 it is...

Thanks for your insight and affirmation.

Tim

Well, since we're in the audiophile forum here we go... The A5's are not audiophile, and not so by far. Why so? Because they don't possess any audiophile characteristics. They fail miserably on stuff like clarity, imaging, centering, precision, freqnency response, tightness in bass etc. Well OK, they can play loud, but only for short periods of time before the thermal protection kicks in.

What they are is a competitive compromise. They relatively pleasant to listen to, being a one, OK two box, solution they are quite compact, they're not that ugly, they're not that expensive, and they can play loud and in doing so poor out plenty of bass.

However if your going for audiophile you can certainly get better stuff for about the same money. One way to do this is to sacrifice some of the ompf and pure spl. That will put you in the marked for something like the smallest Fostex which are more audiophile, but in many ways not as impressive. Or you could go for something used. For that kind of money you could get some OK bookshelf speakers and an integrated amp which would easily dance around the table with the A5's. Of course its not as compact and used gear in that price range may have some bumps and scratches, but it'll sound better for sure. Or you could get some used active speakers, but where I live those don't seem to come up very often.

My 2c etc.

[QUOTE=bhaagensen;356117]Well, since we're in the audiophile forum here we go... The A5's are not audiophile, and not so by far. Why so? Because they don't possess any audiophile characteristics. They fail miserably on stuff like clarity, imaging, centering, precision, freqnency response, tightness in bass etc. Well OK, they can play loud, but only for short periods of time before the thermal protection kicks in.
    QUOTE]

I totally disagree. If there is one thing the A5s do NOT do well is to play very loud. They are NOT designed for boy rocker types.

I do have an audiophile main system. I can still totally enjoy lsitening to usic on the A5s - they undoubteldy do deliver true audiophile qualities. They do provide good staguing and depth, and very good clarity and transparency.

I truly think you are merely allowing their price tag to prevent you from lsitening to them with an open mind. You can obviously not expect to listen to the same quality levels you'd get out of a $7,000-plus and well matched system (heavens know I have listened to more expensive systems that are actually less audiophule than an SB3 hooked up to a pair of A5s, unfortunately). But you are utterly overstating the limitations of the A5, the simply fact is that they do sound like something that 5 years ago would have commanded over 5 times their price tag in an audiophile shop.

Quote Originally Posted by pablolie View Post
    as stated often before, the A5s represent one of the most unique audiophile level price-value propositions out there. the sound quality is beyond amazing for a $400 speaker. there are some others out there that are potentially just as great, but they all seem to cost a bit more. the nht M00 wiyth the matching NYT subqoofer also sound very sweep, but the combo runs over $600 and i find it decidedly less musical.

and i am not sure what happened to acoustic energey, they had a set called the Aego M that was also mindblwoing at the price, i have it at work. but people who tried buying it these days tell me it's become impossible to find.
    Since we are in a Logitech forum, I'd also like to put a good word in for the http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/sp...s/231&cl=us,en

Audiopjile they aren't, but they are very musical PC speakers that sound amazing for their below $200 price tag, and provide very clear sound if one sets the subwoo up right. Logitech is doing very disruptive things.

I for one predict that in less than 10 years we will get better sound quality out of DSP controlled power 2.1 systems than we have from our beloved traditional stereo setups, at a fraction of the price. I look at it with a tear in one eye, and great expectations on the other side. It is an exciting time to love music and its delivery through a balanced audio system.

While I agree on your A5 assessment, I'm not entirely sure that integrated amp you'll be able to get on what's left after Fostex will result in any better sound then of A5. Both will have sh..ty power supply and some crappy digital amp - the only big advantage of A5 is that they were tuned to decrease effect of those aspects. This is where "integrated" might mean "better".
    So far I haven't seen any amplifier/speakers set that would get any close to audiophile expectations for less then $600-$800.
    However, let's be real - do you need audiophile sound everywhere? In my kitchen, bedroom, office, etc I'd rather as for sound that is listenable, not necessarily perfect, and A5 do the job.
    Last edited by 325xi; 2008-11-02 at 21:19.

( SB3 >> Stello DA220MkII || SimAudio Nova CDP ) >> SimAudio Moon i-5 >> Revel Performa M20 bookshelf speakers monitors on Skylan stands via Acoustic Zen Matrix Reference II and Acoustic Zen Satori

SB3 >> Audioengine 5

Quote Originally Posted by ShutterShock View Post
    Any powered speaker recommendations for direct connection from a SB Classic?... Just wondering about room-filling alternatives...
    For a room filling alternative, you might try a pair of Quad 12L2 Active speakers - Here's an audiogon link to a good priced new pair of them.

I personally haven't found any active monitors yet that are as "audiophile" as a separate amp/speakers set, but these particular Quads are closer than most IMO...
    Last edited by NewBuyer; 2008-11-02 at 21:08.

What about something from dynaudio accoustics? These are near to mid-field -- maybe big enough to fill a small room:

http://www.dynaudioacoustics.com/Default.asp?Id=279

(I am considering a pair of BM 6A MkII for my desktop.)

muski
    Transporter via XLR->Bryston BP26DA->Bryston 4B SST->Wilson Watt Puppy 7s
    Transporter via XLR->Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp->Balanced AKG701s