Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Hybrid View

Remotely changing network settings?

Hi,

My Boom is currently running on a wired LAN. I'd like to change the settings so it will run on my WLAN but entering the 63 digit passphrase using the remote does not seem like a good idea.
    Is there any way that I can change this remotely? (Using a Windows XP machine)

Quote Originally Posted by rscholer View Post
    Hi,

My Boom is currently running on a wired LAN. I'd like to change the settings so it will run on my WLAN but entering the 63 digit passphrase using the remote does not seem like a good idea.
    Is there any way that I can change this remotely? (Using a Windows XP machine)
    I don't believe so. But that would be an awesome future feature to include with SC7 wouldn't it? Like they have in computer WiFi setup wizards.

Connect via wired, get player connected to SC7. Then have a WiFi menu where you can enter via computer keyboard (better yet cut & paste) SSID and encryption key. Add pull down menus for selecting WEP, WPA, WPA2, TKIP, AES etc... then a pull down for which player(s) to apply these WiFi settings to. DONE! Clicking SAVE SETTINGS applies this info to the selected player(s) firmware.

But, as was suggested when I brought this up a while ago, it is apparently a very involved application to write.

If you have a SB remote it works on the boom. Makes it faster since you have the digit keypad.

How often are you really entering the passphrase? Might be tedious, but it takes only a few minutes at the most.

Quote Originally Posted by pounce View Post
    If you have a SB remote it works on the boom. Makes it faster since you have the digit keypad.

How often are you really entering the passphrase? Might be tedious, but it takes only a few minutes at the most.
    It's more the chance of error than time (especially if you only have a Boom remote). I accidentally added a *space* while inputting my AES key and even SD customer service did not know how to correct this at that time. They suggested I start over.

I fiddled with it enough to figure out how to correct this but I'd bet many new users would do just that, start over.

Additionally such an app would be particularly useful for those that want their Boom as an "on the go" device, taking it to different locations. Mine isn't moving anywhere but I could see others wanting to do so.

Hey, we're just dreaming here.

BTW rscholer: The Boom and SB3 will take any std. JVC device IR remote commands. Maybe you have a JVC tv or dvd player laying around? Hopefully with alpha-numeric buttons??

You could also just shorten the the passphrase. The keyspace for WPA-PSK is only 256 bits. If you use a random alpha-numeric passphrase, it all gets hashed down to 256 bits. There was a page out there that talked about the math.. but I think the conclusion was that the hash function really only need 30 something characters of input. Anything more than that doesn't help.

Arg, why can't I find those calculations.

Using the knob for key input is actually pretty quick in my experience. I'd agree with shortening the passphrase length though, the hash function is good so the key entropy isn't affected by passphrase length. A brute force attack on the phrase itself is impractical past about 10 characters to be honest.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=127